IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This hits the right tone for me. As I've said earlier the Queen was a remarkable women who, whatever life through at her, never shirked from a sense of duty and loyalty and service to the nation, the British people and the Commonwealth. Right up to the end she was working, never stopping. I find it somewhat ironic therefore that in her memory the nation comes to a halt. I would rather honour her by following her example and carrying on. 

I think the Queen was a "carry on with life" type person. For me I am very sad that this great person has left us but better to celebrate her life than mourn her loss. I would think it would be great if each game could start 10 mins later and use those 10 mins via the big screen or P.A system to remember her life ending with the national anthem and 1 minutes perfectly respected silence.

I would hope than even the most indifferent fans would respect the occasion and take part or just keep quiet.

• Like 3

Sounds like common sense may prevail, think games should go ahead fwiw and pay tribute there.

One thing that surprises me, perhaps I'm expecting too much is that multi million, in the case of the PL billion £ organisations seemingly didn't have a Plan A, B and C for this sort of thing- worked through with clubs, Government, DCMS etc- ready to go- the reaction seemed like a scrambled panic looking at statements. Granted a huge shock and very sad but the lack of contingency planning seems surprising. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great. That’s a sensible and justifiable response. 

Glad common sense has won here and freedom of choice maintained.

I thought that was always the case? The government has however "advised" that these weekend's sporting events are cancelled.

The fact we still haven't heard definitively means the sporting organisations must be seriously considering going against that advice. Bristol v Bath tonight is a pretty major event (22k+ crowd) so they're leaving it late to cancel now.

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

It is moronic, I don't disagree, but that mine and yours view. Others will agree with what he said. 

There's been plenty of examples of people hating on Queen Elizabeth II. Some Australian minister who fled Pakistan has been slagging her off about colonialism, yet left the country to move to a commonwealth nation out of all the ones to choose from. 

Let people speak their minds. People can decide for themselves if its right or wrong. 

If a prominent black person died and a white person previously convicted of racism against a Police Officer tweeted the equivalent they WOULD lose their job and be labelled a racist for life. You either believe in equality or you don’t, it can’t be one sided. What he’s posted is incitement (not everyone will react but enough will). If he gets fired he can have no complaints.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I know where you are coming from, but I would assume this could mean that those that can host their game will do so

Policing etc around London grounds will be almost impossible with how many must be required to be around Westminster / Buckingham Palace over the next few days

He was indeed sat not too far away from me at Villa Park last week

While operation London Bridge is in force in the capital, there are also indvidual operations at each force now in place, the MET will be involves in policing all the events that now will be taking place leaving them short on resources which the other forces will make up

11 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I don't think I can manage ten days of mourning, although Preston home, Norwich and Burnley away .....  ?

Hahaha grim up north

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I believe the meeting is taking place right now

Like all things it would need people to agree

IE We say we want to play, but Preston say they don't 

My assumption is no club will unilaterally make a decision, and will await collective guidance for insurance purposes. 

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I thought that was always the case? The government has however "advised" that these weekend's sporting events are cancelled.

The fact we still haven't heard definitively means the sporting organisations must be seriously considering going against that advice. Bristol v Bath tonight is a pretty major event (22k+ crowd) so they're leaving it late to cancel now.

My comment was on the speculation that there may be enforced cancellations. Gov advice has just been released and seems pretty sensible and pragmatic.