IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thanks for the update.

I was planning on riding up to Stinchcombe to watch it.

A great shame for everyone involved and no doubt a not inconsiderable amount lost to local traders and eateries along the route.

Was planning on going up to either Nibley or Stinchcombe too as it happens. 
Where I live is at the bottom of a hill - they’ll be past me in a matter of nanoseconds if I watch it here. I was gonna head up to Nibley so at least there was a bit of a slower pace as they came past. 

• Like 1

I don’t see how grinding life to a halt is a sign of respect, to be brutally honest. Surely most of us can agree that after our own passing, we’d just want life to go and for our loved ones to mourn us in the way they feel they want to? As a species, we do have some strange practices when it comes to mourning. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, phantom said:

What happens on the 10 days of mourning?

According to Politico, the day the Queen died - September 8, 2022 - will be referred to as D-Day.

Every day afterwards will be referred to as D+1 and D+2 and so on.

D+1

The day after the Queen’s death is the start of the ten days of mourning.

The Accession Council will meet at St James’ Palace to proclaim King Charles the new sovereign.

Hundreds of people will be in attendance, including the Prime Minister and senior government ministers.

Later in the day, MPs will then have their chance to offer tributes to the Queen in the House of Commons.

D+2

The next day will see the Queen’s coffin returned to Buckingham Palace.

According to Politico, there are numerous plans in place to facilitate the transportation of her body – depending on the location of her passing.

The Queen passed away at Balmoral in Scotland.

But reportedly plans were in place in the event of her death at other stately homes including Sandringham and Windsor Castle.

The PM and ministers will attend a reception to welcome the coffin into the capital.

D+3, D+4

On D+3 King Charles will receive the motion of condolence at Westminster Hall.

After duties in London, Charles will embark on a tour of the UK, visiting Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

In the capital, there will be a rehearsal for the procession of Her Majesty’s coffin from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster.

D+5

The Queen’s coffin will be taken from Westminster Hall and travel through crowds of thousands of mourners by gun carriage to Westminster Abbey.

A service will follow.

D+6 to D+9

The Queen’s body will lie in state in Westminster Hall until her funeral.

The coffin will be on a raised box and will be accessible to the public for 23 hours per day for three days.

D + 10

The state funeral itself will be held at Westminster Abbey.

There will be a two minutes’ silence across the nation at midday.

Processions will take place in London and Windsor, with thousands expected to attend.

There will later be a committal service in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle before the Queen is buried in the castle’s King George VI Memorial Chapel.

I think because her death was announced so late in the day, everything gets pushed back by a day. So tomorrow is essentially D-Day. 

It's worth noting that also there will be a proclamation for The King on Saturday so that will be another reason to call games off. 

• Like 1

I’ve thought about whether football should go ahead a lot in the wake of the Queen’s passing. I’m very sad that she’s gone…. She was the one reassuring constant in public life in some crazy and divisive times and, while I’m not a huge royalist, I will find it strange without her.

I just don’t see what will be gained by cancelling sport though. Saturday, if it goes ahead, would be a fantastic opportunity for everyone to pay their respects in their own way. 2 minutes silence, national anthem, some pomp and ceremony…. It could be the perfect tribute and people would still get to go to football which we all love to do. What will be gained by everyone being forced to stay at home and miss out on doing what they love? 

Edited by Jacki
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I’ve thought about whether football should go ahead a lot in the wake of the Queen’s passing. I’m very sad that she’s gone…. She was the one reassuring constant in public life in some crazy and divisive times and, while I’m not a huge royalist, I will find it strange without her.

I just don’t see what will be gained by cancelling sport though. Saturday, if it goes ahead, would be a fantastic opportunity for everyone to pay their respects in their own way. 2 minutes silence, national anthem, some pomp and ceremony…. It could be the perfect tribute and people would still get to go to football which we all love to do. What will be gained by everyone being forced to stay at home and miss out on doing what they love? 

If everything in the UK shuts down this weekend as a mark of respect then fair enough, but why does football need to stop for a weekend but The Mall stays open, or the cinema stays open, or the pubs stay open etc etc it makes no sense whatsoever.  

• Like 5

I said last night on Twitter that I think they will call off the fixtures for this weekend but that I politely disagreed with that policy.

For me personally, I'd love to pay my respect to the Queen by belting out "God Save The Queen" Tony Adams-style at the Gate tomorrow joined by 20,000+ like minded others. Could also have a two minute silence or two minutes of applause as well then into the game. If people want to mourn the Queen in a non-football environment, then feel free to do so... the country has entered a period of national mourning for ten days so there will be plenty of opportunities to mourn in a more reverent fashion.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Quite a lot of backlash on Twitter growing about potential cancellation of leisure activities, including football. 

The fact they’re taking until today to make a decision gives me hope that sanity prevails.

Notice how we’re all still expected to work today?

Again not I expect any different but interesting that we’re in a “period of national mourning” yet everyone goes to work today.

I expect games to be postponed right the way down to non league / amateur level but I’d rather it wasn’t.

spunds like it’s not government enforced though, it’s the leagues making decisions.

• Like 1

Just watching the early morning Countdown on C4+1 and it appears they are not showing advertising, which seems a reasonable compromise.

As far as cancelling Saturday's matches, my question is; what value is there in it? Are we expected to sit in darkened rooms, watching them rehashing the same facts and film from Elizabeth's life? 

No we're not, some will of course but more will be looking around for alternative entertainment which seems a pointless disruption.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Again not I expect any different but interesting that we’re in a “period of national mourning” yet everyone goes to work today.

I expect games to be postponed right the way down to non league / amateur level but I’d rather it wasn’t.

spunds like it’s not government enforced though, it’s the leagues making decisions.

If it’s the league who gets the say then you would hope they look after their member clubs, those who will already have received and paid for food & drink etc ahead of this weekends games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think it would aggravate people needlessly - the Royal Family as a concept is already divisive. Never more so than in a cost of living crisis.

The principle of ‘all fun cancelled.. but work is absolutely fine!’ is all wrong.

Luckily the Royal Family has some sensible members, so I’d like to think they do the right thing re: cancellations and ensure people’s plans aren’t changed.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just watching the early morning Countdown on C4+1 and it appears they are not showing advertising, which seems a reasonable compromise.

As far as cancelling Saturday's matches, my question is; what value is there in it? Are we expected to sit in darkened rooms, watching them rehashing the same facts and film from Elizabeth's life? 

No we're not, some will of course but more will be looking around for alternative entertainment which seems a pointless disruption.

Good point. And as sport is a unifier, isn't bringing fans together to pay our respects during a match and sharing time and memories with friends and acquaintances, also for the greater good?

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it would aggravate people needlessly - the Royal Family as a concept is already divisive. Never more so than in a cost of living crisis.

The principle of ‘all fun cancelled.. but work is absolutely fine!’ is all wrong.

Luckily the Royal Family has some sensible members, so I’d like to think they do the right thing re: cancellations and ensure people’s plans aren’t changed.

I agree. I think if today/Monday was declared a bank holiday, then people would be ok with sport being cancelled.

But it's not the fault of the Royal Family or the government, it'll be the FA/Football League that make any decision.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this sums it up. I don’t think there is anyone who doesn’t have sympathy for the family, but the monarchy as a concept is not supported by a lot of people. Enforcing them to grieve isn’t great PR wise.

Day of the funeral - even a day either side - cancel everything. Work, leisure, everything. To enforce mourning for a week or more until that point is needlessly divisive. Those who want to mourn will still mourn, those who don’t can carry on with life

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I agree. I think if today/Monday was declared a bank holiday, then people would be ok with sport being cancelled.

But it's not the fault of the Royal Family or the government, it'll be the FA/Football League that make any decision.

Yep, but if the Royal Family advised the government departments of culture and sport they didn’t feel cancellations were necessary, it would make the decision making organisation’s situation easier.

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Silly question! When we sing the National Anthem should the game go ahead, do we sing GSTQ or GSTK?

West Ham and Hearts sang GSTQ last night. Think it would be that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phantom said:

And another factor is the potential drain on police resources as towns and cities up and down the land pay tribute to The Queen after her 70-year reign.

Its this causing the cancellations as all emergency services (not just police,) switch to an emergency rota to cover public events over the next fortnight. Sadly, such is the state of the world this has to include large scale response measures should scumbags and terrorists decide to play their dirty hands at mass gatherings (given broadcast coverage they're classed as prime targets for attack.)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I noticed that on ITV last night, there were no ad breaks in their coverage.

There's a couple of sensible reasons to postpone football and sport.

1. To avoid any trouble and disorder. There are anti-monarchy groups who will revel in making their feelings known, Celtic / Liverpool we're looking at you. Will they boo the minutes silence before the game? Or disrespect it in some way?

2. Policing. There will be events taking place up and down the country. Particularly London where likely millions of people will gather around Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle etc. Huge demand on resources there - which again ties in to point 1.

As @Phileas Fogg said, the concept of all work and no fun won't sit well. If you cancel sport, then why are shops open? It's what I personally hated about lockdown.

As I said before though I dont want to cancel sport, and it doesn't sound like Government or protocol is dictating this. If it's down to the leagues then lets hope they take a sensible approach - a lot of people will be out of pocket for postponements at a time when every penny counts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

For what it's worth (nothing, really), I do think the Premier League and English Football League are on a bit of a hiding to nothing with this decision. They're going to upset people - and open themselves up to criticism - either way.

That’s my thoughts too. Difficult situation for them.

The only way to solve it is if the Royal Family advise the DCMS they don’t feel cancellations are necessary. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

For what it's worth (nothing, really), I do think the Premier League and English Football League are on a bit of a hiding to nothing with this decision. They're going to upset people - and open themselves up to criticism - either way.

They will be told by the Government so it's out of their hands.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s my thoughts too. Difficult situation for them.

The only way to solve it is if the Royal Family advise the DCMS they don’t feel cancellations are necessary. 

I think that is the one thing - I imagine everything will be off or everything will be on and it'll be a decision taken jointly along with the DCMS. That will, at least, protect (for want of a better word) the Premier League from the obvious "typical football, think they're above everything..." accusation.