IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Personally, given how the crowd have just commemorated the queen before the West Ham game, with applause and singing “God save the Queen” demonstrates to me why games SHOULD go ahead this weekend, so we can all pay our respects like that. 

Apart from the dirty scouse of course,they got their wish 

As someone that thinks the idea of a monarchy is just daft I'd be disappointed if/when our game is postponed, but I fully expect that it will be and can get my head around it. 

A postponement for any reason would be bad for City's current momentum, but I appreciate supporters of the monarchy wouldn't think that is of any relevance at the moment.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I would expect all sporting events this weekend to be cancelled.

The country is in mourning.

I edited my above post, but it's ended up in the locked section.

The King died on 6th February 1952. City played that night and on Saturday 9th.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Either way, Saturday I will be raising a glass in the memory of the Queen 

Exactly and that's the right attitude - everyone should be allowed to mourn (or not) in their own way.

If that means going to a game and taking part in a minutes silence, so be it. If it means staying away, fine. If it means raising a glass to her memory, also fine.

What shouldn't happen is enforced mourning whereby there isn't the freedom of choice. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly and that's the right attitude - everyone should be allowed to mourn (or not) in their own way.

If that means going to a game and taking part in a minutes silence, so be it. If it means staying away, fine. If it means raising a glass to their memory, also fine.

What shouldn't happen is enforced mourning whereby there isn't the freedom of choice. 

There isn't forced mourning

Cancelling fixtures as a mark of respect isn't forced mourning

You will not get shot if you don't mourn 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

I'd rather watch us play Preston. Not sure why matches need to be cancelled. Maybe thats just me

Thoughts with her nonetheless

My thoughts too.

Those that wZnt to pay their respects can do so at the match on Saturday.  What better way if you do.

• Like 3

Come on City fans. There are a couple of bad apples in the royal family but the Queen was such a lovely, special lady who gave her life to the job and our country. She's respected throughout the world which will come out in the days and weeks ahead. I personally wouldn't postpone the football and other sports but use it as a chance for people to pay their respects. ⚘

• Like 4

Just now, Monkeh said:

There isn't forced mourning

Cancelling fixtures as a mark of respect isn't forced mourning

You will not get shot if you don't mourn 

Anything that is cancelled as part of the "mourning period" is enforced mourning. It changes people's lives and plans in the short term because of The Queen passing away.

I'm not interested in debating the semantics of it by the way.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Do you need to be at football to stand in silence?

Well I suppose you could do it on your own, but I thought the point was to create a moment of silence.  I can’t really do that on my own.

I’ve never got this mourning business.  What are you meant to do, just have a crap time?  I appreciate how family and friends might want to respond, but not sure how I can contribute.  I’d rather Liz was toasted with a pint, than by people being sad.

• Like 2

I'm sad that the Queen has died and there is no doubting her service and loyalty to the nation, she was an amazing women. I don't see however while all sport should stop, except perhaps Horse Racing, during the period of mourning and lying in state before her funeral. She wasn't averse to having a good time so why can't we celebrate her life by giving her a rousing send off instead. Let's keep sport going and throw a party or two. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Anything that is cancelled as part of the "mourning period" is enforced mourning. It changes people's lives and plans in the short term because of The Queen passing away.

I'm not interested in debating the semantics of it by the way.

So if a fixture is cancelled because a player has died as a mark of respect, that's forced mourning

A minutes silence by the same logic is also forced mourning

I get it’s old tradition, but I don’t see what cancelling sporting events would really do if we’re still just going about our daily lives exactly the same way during the ‘mourning period’ otherwise. Not as if we’re in a lockdown again for 12 days. 

Very hopeful we go ahead and as others said, sure there’ll be some amazing tributes across the grounds if it does. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

So if a fixture is cancelled because a player has died as a mark of respect, that's forced mourning

A minutes silence by the same logic is also forced mourning

Sorry Monkeh, I said I'm not interested in debating semantics.

We both know your example of a minutes silence is a fairly reductive straw man argument that I won't dignify with debate any further. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm sad that the Queen has died and there is no doubting her service and loyalty to the nation, she was an amazing women. I don't see however while all sport should stop, except perhaps Horse Racing, during the period of mourning and lying in state before her funeral. She wasn't averse to having a good time so why can't we celebrate her life by giving her a rousing send off instead. Let's keep sport going and throw a party or two. 

It’s the right thing to do mate,granted it comes at the worst possible time when we are flying but I’m sure we can all cope with no game this week 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I get it’s old tradition, but I don’t see what cancelling sporting events would really do if we’re still just going about our daily lives exactly the same way during the ‘mourning period’ otherwise. Not as if we’re in a lockdown again for 12 days. 

Very hopeful we go ahead and as others said, sure there’ll be some amazing tributes across the grounds if it does. 

Precisely - it's not as if people's work will be cancelled tomorrow or over the weekend. It's totally wrong that fun and escapism is cancelled and sends the wrong message about freedom of choice.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well I suppose you could do it on your own, but I thought the point was to create a moment of silence.  I can’t really do that on my own.

I’ve never got this mourning business.  What are you meant to do, just have a crap time?  I appreciate how family and friends might want to respond, but not sure how I can contribute.  I’d rather Liz was toasted with a pint, than by people being sad.

I’m kinda on the same page as you on this. If somebody passes away, it’s of course never nice to see but I personally wouldn’t want to mourn, feel upset, and be depressed about the situation.

I’d want to escape from it and live my life as I would do normally.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

How does she effect your every day life ?

people are struggling to pay bills whilst she’s lived a life of luxury not to mention spending £12 million of tax payers money getting her I love you of a son off the hook .

life of luxury is a bit off. Grew up through the war, then served. At 25 devoted her life to her country. Many, many people would do nothing of the sort.

I’m not a royalist but I respect her

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

How does she effect your every day life ?

people are struggling to pay bills whilst she’s lived a life of luxury not to mention spending £12 million of tax payers money getting her I love you of a son off the hook .

I don't want to get into a debate about this on a very, very sad day.

Some figures for you. The Royal family took £120m in tax last year. They brought in 1.9 billion into the economy. So you without them, people would be struggling a hell of a lot more. They cost each person £1.29 in tax a year. 

Let that sink in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s the right thing to do mate,granted it comes at the worst possible time when we are flying but I’m sure we can all cope with no game this week 

As I said I have no problem in marking respect but why does it have to be so mournful. Why can't we cheer for the Queen, have a two minute applause etc. Isn't it Russia that plays mournful music all day when their leader dies. Practically too people will have committed funds for Saturday, especially Preston supporters. 

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

life of luxury is a bit off. Grew up through the war, then served. At 25 devoted her life to her country. Many, many people would do nothing of the sort.

I’m not a royalist but I respect her

Your completely entitled to your opinion mate and I know sometimes the way I put my points across on here are abit more extreme than I want them to be but the way people and the media go on it’s as if her life is worth more than say an old lady who passes away on a council estate . 

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

I don't want to get into a debate about this on a very, very sad day.

Some figures for you. The Royal family took £120m in tax last year. They brought in 1.9 billion into the economy. So you without them, people would be struggling a hell of a lot more. They cost each person £1.29 in tax a year. 

Let that sink in. 

They brought in 1.9 billion... 

I don't want to have this debate today of all days. But let's do it another time!

• Like 2