IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m a little surprised that everyone is, apparently, hoping she’ll pull through.  I would have hoped with a 96-year-old that most people would be hoping for a quick and painless death, if she is that poorly.

No disrespect, but can we at least acknowledge that she is probably dying, rather than that awful euphemism ‘passing’.  Death is an inevitability, and we shouldn’t be scared of acknowledging it.

I think people just mean well don't they? It's a hard one to accept that sometimes death is better than prolonged illness. When my nan passed sadly it was a bit of a relief, she'd started to get confused and I didn't want her in a hospital indefinitely. As someone else said about passing with dignity and comfort.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m a little surprised that everyone is, apparently, hoping she’ll pull through.  I would have hoped with a 96-year-old that most people would be hoping for a quick and painless death, if she is that poorly.

People have lived to over 120.

I understand it can be a relief when somebody who is in pain passes away. But I'd rather wish for somebody to get well, than hope they die just because they're old. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

People have lived to over 120.

I understand it can be a relief when somebody who is in pain passes away. But I'd rather wish for somebody to get well, than hope they die just because they're old. 

Agree with everything apart from the living to 120,birth records couldn’t verify if it was the same person but who cares in all honesty 

Just now, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The world would be a better place without Twitter, an absolute cesspit which has allowed the dregs of society to spout their bile, with almost no recourse.

Agreed - It’s got  to the point when i don’t think you should be allowed to be anonymous on there anymore such is the level of hatred 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Who the hell do you guys follow in order to see overwhelming amounts of horrible stuff?

I only ever see nasty stuff if I actively search it out.

I often wonder that myself, my twitter feed is generally quite a positive place to be, unless you include taking the piss out of the government as horrible.

Edited by richwwtk

Just now, richwwtk said:

I often wonder that myself, my twitter feed is generally quite a positive place to be, unless you include taking the piss out of the government horrible.

I hate twitter and generally dislike social media these days, twitter is a cesspool of hate, from all creeds not just far right or left,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

I hate twitter and generally dislike social media these days, twitter is a cesspool of hate, from all creeds not just far right or left,

All social media can be a cesspool of hate, but only if you search for it.

I found more of an issue with Facebook, when there were 'friends' added that I hadn't seen or spoken to in years that started spouting the Daily Mail type bile you seem to get around sometimes. A quick 'unfriend' soon sorts that.

Never had that with Twitter as I tend to know what I am letting myself in for by the very people I choose to follow.

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

All social media can be a cesspool of hate, but only if you search for it.

I found more of an issue with Facebook, when there were 'friends' added that I hadn't seen or spoken to in years that started spouting the Daily Mail type bile you seem to get around sometimes. A quick 'unfriend' soon sorts that.

Never had that with Twitter as I tend to know what I am letting myself in for by the very people I choose to follow.

Sadly that's not the case for twitter, when you look into whats trending, some of the stuff you get there.......you don't really need to search for it,

Anyway we can create another topic for this as this thread is about her majesty 

• Like 3

It's a very sad day and my thoughts are with the Royal Family.

From a young age (I'm  54) I had this naive, romantic notion that the Queen would go on forever. Its tough growing up and seeing those you look up to - and love in the case of friends and family - pass away.

Luckily forums like ours give us the opportunity to share great memories and show respect.

I understand that a period of mourning may mean that sporting events are cancelled, although this would be based on the wishes of the relevant association, following advice from the Department of Culture, Media, and Sport.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 2

Just now, Curr Avon said:

I understand that a period of mourning may mean that sporting events are cancelled, although this would be based on the wishes of the relevant association, following advice from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.

It's generally the given thing that all sporting events will be cancelled,

I'm fully expecting it to be called off

Just now, pl00peh91 said:

RIP The Queen. Elephant in the room - will City be postponed this weekend? 

The last time the head of state died the football wasn’t postponed but, bizarrely, it was for Diana so I’d say yes it will be.  I’m unsure why football would be and everything else wouldn’t be though. Doesn’t make sense to me 

I'm sad that the Queen has died and there is no doubting her service and loyalty to the nation, she was an amazing women. I don't see however while all sport should stop, except perhaps Horse Racing, during the period of mourning and lying in state before her funeral. She wasn't averse to having a good time so why can't we celebrate her life by giving her a rousing send off instead. Let's keep sport going and throw a party or two. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The last time the head of state died the football wasn’t postponed but, bizarrely, it was for Diana so I’d say yes it will be.  I’m unsure why football would be and everything else wouldn’t be though. Doesn’t make sense to me 

Would just say the Man Utd game tonight goes ahead so who knows