IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

She did a reasonable job as the unelected head of state but lived in absolute luxury for her entire life.

Her death comes like it does to everyone else but I cannot see why the entire sporting and cultural life of the people of this country has to be cancelled. Totally pissed of am I with no City tomorrow and almost certainly no Bears tonight. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid that a relatively small number of posters saying over and over again that matches should go ahead is not necessarily representative of the majority.

Many. like me, will be contemplative today, and not keen to add to threads like this.

My own opinion - for what it's worth and to answer your quote directly - is that the vast majority in this country will have been affected by the death of our Queen.

Anecdotally, everybody I know is anyway.

Anecdotal evidence isn't extrapolation though.

I did key word searches on FB and last night, onky 10 out of just shy of 270 posted anything at all on it, and 10 was an upper estimate. Not saying there was anything unpleasant, but most did not mark it at all.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Whether it’s the right or wrong thing to do I’m amazed that people are surprised by this.

It was always going to happen.

No, I’m not surprised at all.  It’s the kind of decision making made by people frightened to do something that would be the done thing in yesteryear.  It’s 2022 (not aimed at you), we are in a financial climate where businesses and fans will be impacted by a decision that didn’t need to be made.

Strong leadership would have been to go ballsy with “games are on as planned, every fan has the opportunity to honour her in their own way by going or staying at home or whatever.  We recognise the impact of cancelling on fans and businesses and therefore leave it up to choice”.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Infant/junior football cancelled now too. I can understand cancelling pro games through lack of security, but cancelling Sunday league games watched by a few blokes and their dogs & u8s games watched by parents makes absolutely no sense whatsoever 

Completely crazy decision.  Kids shall not enjoy themselves for 72 hours after the queen has died. It’s what she would have wanted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Anecdotally nobody I know is so not sure ‘vast majority’ is accurate 

Age thing? Meant in the most respectful way but a graph of age range vs passionate views on the monarchy would be an interesting experiment one day.

I get the impression that there is a bit if a correlation.

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Haha my daughters swimming lesson is cancelled tomorrow morning ‘as a mark of respect’.  Apparently they will ‘be taking the time to reflect on the past and plan for the future.’  Never knew the queen hated kids swimming

The official opening of our local playground has been postponed "out of respect".  

I can't imagine the Queen would've wanted this sort of fuss. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would wait to see why before making comments like above

We already know that it is a massive stretch on the police etc around the country, the last thing they needed was needing to allocate additional resources to a sporting event

Just look at it like it pissed down and the ground is flooded

We will get over it, people will be able to get refunds, yeah is a small inconvenience but not the end of the world

So the small businesses set to lose thousands will all get refunds yes? The extra food that has been ordered to cater for these events will all get refunded? Joke of a decision.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

She did a reasonable job as the unelected head of state but lived in absolute luxury for her entire life.

Her death comes like it does to everyone else but I cannot see why the entire sporting and cultural life of the people of this country has to be cancelled. Totally pissed of am I with no City tomorrow and almost certainly no Bears tonight. 

I've said it a couple of times now, but I wouldn't say growing up in WW2, serving in WW2, her uncle abducating changing her entire future path, losing her father at 25 and giving her life to the country right up to 96 is not my definition of luxury.

Did she ever want for anything financially? Probably not. She worked something like 360 days a year, right up to 2 days before her death. Not many on here would choose that life

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, 2015 said:

On a pure selfish City perspective this isn't good news. We travel to Norwich and Burnley in the next week and then have an international break. We have been gathering some momentum, especially at home games. No home match for us for a month.

From  very narrow perspective, could argue it either way. Norwich were due to play tonight which had already been cancelled. If tomorrow was 'on', we would have played Preston, then Norwich on Wednesday. They would have had a much longer break. Time will tell but would expect the mid week games to still be on.

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I've said it a couple of times now, but I wouldn't say growing up in WW2, serving in WW2, her uncle abducating changing her entire future path, losing her father at 25 and giving her life to the country right up to 96 is not my definition of luxury.

Did she ever want for anything financially? Probably not. She worked something like 360 days a year, right up to 2 days before her death. Not many on here would choose that life

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I would rather have my life than hers that’s for sure 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

It is hilarious the complete over reaction on here

Perhaps you may want to educate yourself on what actually happened to get to this outcome

Some of the reactions on here from posters I’ve previously always respected is frankly shocking and really saddens me.

Absolutely typifies the sense of entitlement these days.  We have just lost the country’s figurehead who has gained worldeide respect and given over 70 years of dedicated service to her country and citizens and all they can bleat about is having a game of football delayed.

Heaven help us if we ever had to face a war again, because we’d be ****** with this bunch of whingers!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 5

1 minute ago, Super said:

I'm sure you will cope.

You tell that to the thousands of people who use sport as an escape from reality and mental health problems. A death of a person should not lead to the whole country coming to a complete halt and nor do I think the Queen would have wanted this. I absolutely despair with this Country sometimes

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

You tell that to the thousands of people who use sport as an escape from reality and mental health problems. A death of a person should not lead to the whole country coming to a complete halt and nor do I think the Queen would have wanted this. I absolutely despair with this Country sometimes

Has the whole country come to a complete halt? Stop overreacting.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid that a relatively small number of posters saying over and over again that matches should go ahead is not necessarily representative of the majority.

Many. like me, will be contemplative today, and not keen to add to threads like this.

My own opinion - for what it's worth and to answer your quote directly - is that the vast majority in this country will have been affected by the death of our Queen.

Anecdotally, everybody I know is anyway.

The plural of anecdote is not data. But, anecdotally, I played football last night and although people acknowledged it nobody thought life should stop.

If the vast majority of the country are affected badly by this (well they are now) then why must the person collecting my bins work? Doesn’t he deserve time to be contemplating things? No. He’s got to work but he’s not allowed leisure time. And the people who wanted to work at football now can’t. Businesses and people will lose huge cash from this in a COL crisis.

This is about personal choice. In effect, the country is being told “work but don’t enjoy yourselves”. That’s nonsense in any form.

If you want to be contemplative, go nuts. Nobodys stopping you. Nobody was forcing you to go if the game was on. 

The difference here is that people are being stopped. And I’ll guarantee you that stopping two teams of ten year olds playing football achieves the square root of nothing other than pissing people off.

Again, avoidance of doubt I back a full stop on the day of the funeral. But this is madness.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Packman said:

So the small businesses set to lose thousands will all get refunds yes? The extra food that has been ordered to cater for these events will all get refunded? Joke of a decision.

How about you wait and find out the facts?, it's not like this is a regular event

What do you think happens when a game gets postponed at the last minute?