IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Horrendously difficult?  He’s been rehearsing for this moment for years.

Only 24 hrs since his mother died, a situation he could never rehearse for.

It was an excellent address and an admirable performance under the circumstances.

He went up in my estimation, all credit to him.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Farcical decision. 

We had an opportunity to come together as a football fraternity and  coordinate a collective gesture to respect and celebrate her life. Hundreds of thousands at the same time across the country. 

What better gesture from football supporters.? 

But no, that was taken away from us by some old blokes in blazers. 

Stupid decision. 

Tonight I was in a bar in lanzarote, music on - until Charlie spoke. Deathly quiet while we all listened, few tears from some, then music back on and stuff the Westminster Abbey stuff. 

Point being, people will show their respect in their own way and don't need an old man in a blazer to take decisions for them. 

Way ott reaction from fa and efl. 

That’s the most bizarre thing of all: the FA have actually denied football supporters their opportunity to pay their respects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packman said:

The decision doesn't really affect me either, I'll just go and play golf/spend time with the family. I've just tried to look at the cancellation from the point of view of others. 

I'm sorry but I disagree with you, and I think it will have a massive impact on thousands of people up and down the country. Like others have said, people will be told they're not needed to work, food will go to waste and the list goes on. Yes you're right the weather can cause cancellations but people usually have a good idea if the weather will be bad or not, whereas these cancellations were just thrown on clubs/businesses the day before the event, like it or lump it. 

It will actually benefit me because I’m on holiday and so would have missed the game, and can hopefully make the rearranged date. And I’ll still get to see some football this weekend (Lazio v Verona). 

I’m not sure I agree about weather related postponements, which are sometimes notoriously late in the day. But I take the point about this being in our control unlike the weather. But it always was a distinct possibility that it would happen when the Queen died so in that sense it’s not entirely unexpected. 

Clearly divides opinion though - and as someone who frequents the politics forum especially it’s good to see that it’s not all dividing in the way it usually does!! 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

There will be another game to do that.

10 days mourning and done surely? Okay sounds a bit flippant.

Tomorrow would have been the ideal time for it when still relatively raw.

10 minutes ago, Jeez said:

I still can’t get my head around how the FA didn’t have a plan in place already agreed by clubs, where everyone knew what happens in the event the queen dies.

They're inept.

Football's Governance is and has been, by and large, inept.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jeez said:

I still can’t get my head around how the FA didn’t have a plan in place already agreed by clubs, where everyone knew what happens in the event the queen dies.

That is a criminal lack of planning.

Not to mention that some fans will have lost hundreds of pounds on match and train tickets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

10 days mourning and done surely? Okay sounds a bit flippant.

Tomorrow would have been the ideal time for it when still relatively raw.

They're inept.

Football's Governance is and has been, by and large, inept.

Sure there will be games midweek.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

There will be another game to do that.

Super, with respect, can you actually empathise with what people are saying here?

It’s reductive to suggest people are essentially ‘throwing a strop’ because a game of football is rearranged. Can’t you see the point almost everyone is making is about the principle?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Completely and utterly inept, that’s why. Just a bunch of out of touch blazer wearing clowns.

It’s like it from the county FA’s right to the very top sadly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Sure there will be games midweek.

City are at Norwich in midweek. Not sure how many will make the trip, a few hundred perhaps.

As against 18-20k that could/should have paid their respects at AG tomorrow. 

Big difference. City aren't home again till 1st October, almost two weeks after she's buried. The moment will have gone by then. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeez said:

They didn't need a plan. They just needed to conform with any mandatory constraints enforced by Government - and there were none, just some guidance for the day of the funeral (which I'm sure didn't really need to be said, but at least everyone has a consistent message).

So with the benefit of being told they could just get on with things, they decided not to. Why on earth did they wait for guidance and then completely ignore it? Surely the only reason to wait was if they wanted to continue with fixtures this weekend and were worried the guidance might go against this - based on their actions they could have unilaterally called the weekend fixtures off yesterday.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Super, with respect, can you actually empathise with what people are saying here?

It’s reductive to suggest people are essentially ‘throwing a strop’ because a game of football is rearranged. Can’t you see the point almost everyone is making is about the principle?

Most are only concerned about a football match being called off which is fair enough. Maybe it's a generation thing.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Most are only concerned about a football match being called off which is fair enough. Maybe it's a generation thing.

I don’t think that’s the case at all actually. Most seem to be making a fairly considered point about freedom of choice through the modicum of football matches being cancelled.

It’s incredibly reductive, and a bit insulting to people’s intelligence, to suggest it’s simply about football being cancelled.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It will actually benefit me because I’m on holiday and so would have missed the game, and can hopefully make the rearranged date. And I’ll still get to see some football this weekend (Lazio v Verona). 

I’m not sure I agree about weather related postponements, which are sometimes notoriously late in the day. But I take the point about this being in our control unlike the weather. But it always was a distinct possibility that it would happen when the Queen died so in that sense it’s not entirely unexpected. 

Clearly divides opinion though - and as someone who frequents the politics forum especially it’s good to see that it’s not all dividing in the way it usually does!! 

Enjoy your holiday.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Super said:

Maybe it's a generation thing.

Think 1st bit is a bit reductive, the second bit...quite interested to browse my FB needed across yesterday and looked again this afternoon.

Nothing disrespectful, nothing about football but only 10 maybe less out of 260 odd passed comment on the Queen's passing.

At least two of whom are older so I wonder how passionately the say 20-35 age bracket feel about the monarchy- more indifference than anything hostile I'd say.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I've been on Twitter for most of the afternoon and haven't seen any evidence of this. Quite the contrary in fact, they've been congratulated for making a fair, sensible decision and communicating it properly.

Football's big problem is that it is more worried about "how things look" than actually dealing with facts and getting to the root causes of things. Once you start worrying about the wrong things, you take your eye off the ball and make decisions that are either slightly baffling or plain stupid. This has been evidenced many times over the years.

The Gate would have been fantastic tomorrow. Might have sold a few more tickets on the day, upwards of 18-20k people paying their respects, belting out the National Anthem and sharing the day with fellow like minded folk. You can tell people get comfort and strength from being with others; yes, there's a few goons that are at Balmoral, Windsor & Buckingham Palace to be seen on TV but for a lot of people, they are there (and would be at the Gate tomorrow) so they can meet up with others & talk about their memories of the Queen. Have a pint or three, raise a glass to the Queen (and to the new King) and celebrate a life well lived. Instead, many will probably spend the day grizzly, on their own, sat in front of the box and fed up. And feeling like that, many people won't bother to pay their respects anyway. The Queen will have been buried for nearly a fortnight before City play a home game, the moment by then will have gone.

Tell me that's the right decision. 

Exactly........."Fair and sensible" is the correct phrase.  Unlike the fools, who run football, who in their shortsightedness have denied fans the opportunity at games across the entire country to lead tributes and display their affection for our former Queen.  I wish someone from FA could please explain to us all what cancelling football matches has achieved ?   With the lying in State of her Majesty for four day's and the funeral still to come, what else do the FA & FL cretins have in store for us?     PS.  Nevertheless we can all go racing at Doncaster on Sunday!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

One good thing to come out of this is it might make people take note of how ridiculous the whole set up is and hasten the demise of the monarchy. Such an outdated concept. There will inevitably always be rich and poor, but to this extent, where eveyone has to pause life because someone who none of us have ever met died, when people we know personally die all the time and in there own way are just as worthy of respect as the queen.  Think we should all be aiming for something more balanced for our kids to grow up in

41 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

One good thing to come out of this is it might make people take note of how ridiculous the whole set up is and hasten the demise of the monarchy. Such an outdated concept. There will inevitably always be rich and poor, but to this extent, where eveyone has to pause life because someone who none of us have ever met died, when people we know personally die all the time and in there own way are just as worthy of respect as the queen.  Think we should all be aiming for something more balanced for our kids to grow up in

Have I missed something,we will all still be going to work so because a game is called off life is grinding to a halt,Jesus get a grip 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

I ducked out of this a few hours ago but as it’s still “hot”, three quick things:

- Discussions about the future of the monarchy aren’t really for here. It’s a valid subject, but even as a republican, I think it’s distasteful and inappropriate at this time

- On that subject, I do have huge sympathy for Charles. Whether bred for this or not, the last thing you want to do after your mum dies is what he’s doing. I’m sure he’d rather grieve in peace

- Finally, the thing I find odd is this. The split here is three ways - those (including me) who think we should have played and personal choice should have come into play (and that’s what this is about), those who are ambivalent in a way and accept the decision and those who want it cancelled because they want it cancelled, as that’s their stance on what should happen, thereby taking away personal choice.

Bizarrely, the ones in the first group (including me) are called snowflakes often. Yet we’re not the ones trying to enforce our beliefs on others.

Just a bit odd is all.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

47 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

I could not disagree more with this comment. I respect your views but I do feel the alternative to a monarch, is a far poorer option.

I do however agree with you and believe that some of the protocols could be reviewed again and the need to have such a pause culture in respect of death, is perhaps outdated.

But to abolish the monarchy altogether, would take away a huge amount of British symbolism and identity. The net gain (commercial and positive view of UK) from having a head of state, of monarch dynasty, generates incredible revenue and also acts as a figurehead for respecting the faith of society. A vast majority of children in this country attend CofE schools, which through history (rightly or wrongly) has been a large proportion of what state and kingdom has come to represent. 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all actually. Most seem to be making a fairly considered point about freedom of choice through the modicum of football matches being cancelled.

It’s incredibly reductive, and a bit insulting to people’s intelligence, to suggest it’s simply about football being cancelled.

Plus many responses have also focused on the financial impact for fans and businesses as a result of this decision.

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I ducked out of this a few hours ago but as it’s still “hot”, three quick things:

- Discussions about the future of the monarchy aren’t really for here. It’s a valid subject, but even as a republican, I think it’s distasteful and inappropriate at this time

- On that subject, I do have huge sympathy for Charles. Whether bred for this or not, the last thing you want to do after your mum dies is what he’s doing. I’m sure he’d rather grieve in peace

- Finally, the thing I find odd is this. The split here is three ways - those (including me) who think we should have played and personal choice should have come into play (and that’s what this is about), those who are ambivalent in a way and accept the decision and those who want it cancelled because they want it cancelled, as that’s their stance on what should happen, thereby taking away personal choice.

Bizarrely, the ones in the first group (including me) are called snowflakes often. Yet we’re not the ones trying to enforce our beliefs on others.

Just a bit odd is all.

Well said, especially the penultimate para….but that’s OTIB in a nutshell isn’t it?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just a bit odd is all.

Thankfully I’m in the middle rather than the rabid we must play/not play(not including you in that).

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

How, why cant we do it at the next game. It's really bizarre 

Yep don’t get that argument,we must show our respect straight away which is total bull but sounds good as long as the game is on 

• Thanks 1