IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

32 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I could not disagree more with this comment. I respect your views but I do feel the alternative to a monarch, is a far poorer option.

I do however agree with you and believe that some of the protocols could be reviewed again and the need to have such a pause culture in respect of death, is perhaps outdated.

But to abolish the monarchy altogether, would take away a huge amount of British symbolism and identity. The net gain (commercial and positive view of UK) from having a head of state, of monarch dynasty, generates incredible revenue and also acts as a figurehead for respecting the faith of society. A vast majority of children in this country attend CofE schools, which through history (rightly or wrongly) has been a large proportion of what state and kingdom has come to represent. 

Sadly British symbolism and identity has eroded irretrievably over the past few decades and i can see the monarchy going the same way.

If The Queens passing was going to be respected correctly then the whole of the UK should have shut down for a period of time and the choice shouldn't have been left to each individual organisations/businesses to decide.

I'm not a Royalist and it just seems wrong to me that we can still sit in a pub all day tomorrow or go to the Cinema, but football at all levels has been suspended.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

Sadly British symbolism and identity has eroded irretrievably over the past few decades and i can see the monarchy going the same way.

If The Queens passing was going to be respected correctly then the whole of the UK should have shut down for a period of time and the choice shouldn't have been left to each individual organisations/businesses to decide.

I'm not a Royalist and it just seems wrong to me that we can still sit in a pub all day tomorrow or go to the Cinema, but football at all levels has been suspended.

Don't think that would wash these days personally. For Covid, very much so. Death of a monarch? Nah. Rather a few especially younger are indifferent towards the monarchy.

Can't speak for anyone else but I'd be sorely tempted to sign up for Republic in your scenario and I dare say it could cause some resentment towards the institution among those who are currently indifferent. Impose your will without unanimity and people's positions harden. Mine has reading your post, although I respect your view an imposed grief driven shut down I have severe contempt for.

In fact I wonder if some of those who would have already booked but cannot easily get refunded might travel anyway to placrs, make most of a day, weekend in a new town.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandhurst Red said:

I could not disagree more with this comment. I respect your views but I do feel the alternative to a monarch, is a far poorer option.

I do however agree with you and believe that some of the protocols could be reviewed again and the need to have such a pause culture in respect of death, is perhaps outdated.

But to abolish the monarchy altogether, would take away a huge amount of British symbolism and identity. The net gain (commercial and positive view of UK) from having a head of state, of monarch dynasty, generates incredible revenue and also acts as a figurehead for respecting the faith of society. A vast majority of children in this country attend CofE schools, which through history (rightly or wrongly) has been a large proportion of what state and kingdom has come to represent. 

I respect your view, however, one of the main justifications for the monarchy has always been “the amount of revenue they generate” which is a pure estimate, one might ask how much they take out of the economy ? FYI the vast majority of schools, circa 73%, are not C of E schools, of the circa 27% that are C of E, the majority are purely housed in buildings that are owned by the church.

I fear King Charles will not generate as much cash as his mother for the country, perhaps he should subsidise his existence from the massive revenue he has leached out of the Duchy of Cornwall! 

• Like 2

It seems ridiculous to me that football at all levels, including kids’ football, has been cancelled this weekend when other sports are going ahead. At times like this people often feel the need to come together and football is ideal for that. Surely a fitting tribute to the Queen in the days after her death is the a minute’s applause/silence followed by the national anthem thinking around grounds across the country just before 3pm. And kids should be able to play football, marking what has happened in their own way, like they do by having a minute’s silence on Remembrance Sunday. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Offside said:

It seems ridiculous to me that football at all levels, including kids’ football, has been cancelled this weekend when other sports are going ahead. At times like this people often feel the need to come together and football is ideal for that. Surely a fitting tribute to the Queen in the days after her death is the a minute’s applause/silence followed by the national anthem thinking around grounds across the country just before 3pm. And kids should be able to play football, marking what has happened in their own way, like they do by having a minute’s silence on Remembrance Sunday. 

Vague logic to PL and EFL, but stopping non league and amateur football is just ridiculous. Another midweek game under lights, just what clubs need right now!

Last time a monarch died, there was a full league programme 3 days later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

The Queen will have been buried for nearly a fortnight before City play a home game, the moment by then will have gone.

Very similar to my thoughts.

There will no doubt be two minutes silence at City's next home game (QPR in October!) but, as you say, the moment wil have gone.

Tomorrow was, realistically, our last chance to sing God Save the Queen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only 24 hrs since his mother died, a situation he could never rehearse for.

It was an excellent address and an admirable performance under the circumstances.

He went up in my estimation, all credit to him.

As he did for me, especially in the way he greeted our new Prime Minister, Liz Truss, trying to put her at ease only hours after saying Goodbye to his mother.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

News readers/reporters show their respect by wearing black, striking unions postpone strikes as a mark of respect and the powers that be postpone weekend football games as a mark of respect; no big deal imo there will be football games next week, its a moment in time.

Spend the time in reflection and be thankfull that you still have your mother/father/sister/brother/friends unlike some who have very few of the forementioned left.

Its a game of football f.f.s. do something else for a few hrs.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think that would wash these days personally. For Covid, very much so. Death of a monarch? Nah. Rather a few especially younger are indifferent towards the monarchy.

Can't speak for anyone else but I'd be sorely tempted to sign up for Republic in your scenario and I dare say it could cause some resentment towards the institution among those who are currently indifferent. Impose your will without unanimity and people's positions harden. Mine has reading your post, although I respect your view an imposed grief driven shut down I have severe contempt for.

In fact I wonder if some of those who would have already booked but cannot easily get refunded might travel anyway to placrs, make most of a day, weekend in a new town.

We did that after the 7/7 bombings. Queen + Paul Rodgers were due to play at Hyde Park the day after. This was pushed back a week, but we had booked train and hotel on a non-refundable basis, so we had a couple of days doing the London Tourist thing and booked another (as cheap as possible) hotel room for the week after. Something @Never to the dark sidemight be interested in for the second trip - we ended up driving to Slough and taking the train from there, as the full price from Bristol with only a week's notice was eye watering....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, adamski said:

I respect your view, however, one of the main justifications for the monarchy has always been “the amount of revenue they generate” which is a pure estimate, one might ask how much they take out of the economy ? FYI the vast majority of schools, circa 73%, are not C of E schools, of the circa 27% that are C of E, the majority are purely housed in buildings that are owned by the church.

I fear King Charles will not generate as much cash as his mother for the country, perhaps he should subsidise his existence from the massive revenue he has leached out of the Duchy of Cornwall! 

I think you'll find the main justification for 'Monarchy' these past 3 centuries is it appears to deliver constitutional and political stability it, after all, meaning 'the rule of the many by the one for the purpose of good'. Look at the remaining 46 monarchies around the globe and they tend to be decent, peaceful and prosperous places to reside. When monarchies fall they're invariably replaced by President Republics or Confederations. A quick scan of the major Presidencies of late doesn't exactly promote the concept: Trump , Biden, Putin, Xi, Erdogan, Bolsanaro, Kim Jong-un, Salih, al-Assad, Maduro. Add in just about any African nation, ex-Soviet state and central American dictatorship, consider security, conflict, economic stability and personal liberty and monarchy wins out by a mile.

That's not to say the present form of the UK Royal Family should remain, rather their very function within the constitution should be preserved and for good reason, it provides an essential buffer to political extremism and stasis.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if folks bothered to review the Royals funding position rather than fixate on the Privy Purse, as anti-monarchists so love to do, they'll see The Exchequer receives far, far more in revenue from them than is paid back and that's before any 'benefit' to UKPLC's economy is considered.

As for Charles having 'leached out' fortunes from the Duchy of Cornwall (I assume you also include his other income streams,) its worth noting he's cost the taxpayer nothing, has paid all his own costs and voluntarily paid top rate income tax on all surplus (he didn't have to.) As per your suggestion he may subsidise his existence from 'The Duchy' he can't, its no longer his. He will, however, and as with ERII, more than pay his own way given all that he has inherited by way of income streams is paid to The Exchequer. But when I say 'he has inherited' I really should have said 'the function has inhetited,' for that's what it is.  A functional, not personal, existence. The accounts are public record. 

Presidents BTW, do not come cheap. Amazing how many have PERSONALLY become the richest people in the world.  Unlike monarchs that wealth doesn't transfer to the next in line, preserved ultimately for a nation's benefit. It sits in personal bank accounts around the globe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 6

I haven't the whole 31 pages, but the tone of a lot of this thread is so disrespectful.

I appreciate not everyone on this forum is a royalist, and some do not even like the monarchy, but the Queen served this country for 70 years and she worked to the day she died, she gave her life to represent the people of this great country.

Some people like to mourn, want to reflect, and whilst I personally have been saddened by her passing, I have carried on with work, and personally I would have enjoyed to watch sport this weekend, but I do respect the powers that be making the decision. It's a game of football and it's one weekend.

But the level of disrespect shown on this thread is so sad, and I personally think this paints the club and its fanbase is a very low light. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
  • Hmmm 1

44 minutes ago, gl2 said:

News readers/reporters show their respect by wearing black, striking unions postpone strikes as a mark of respect and the powers that be postpone weekend football games as a mark of respect; no big deal imo there will be football games next week, its a moment in time.

Spend the time in reflection and be thankfull that you still have your mother/father/sister/brother/friends unlike some who have very few of the forementioned left.

Its a game of football f.f.s. do something else for a few hrs.

This totally misses the point of what people are saying. Being frank, you’re not really able to contribute anything of note to this discussion until you realise this. 

39 minutes ago, robin for life said:

I haven't the whole 31 pages, but the tone of a lot of this thread is so disrespectful.

I appreciate not everyone on this forum is a royalist, and some do not even like the monarchy, but the Queen served this country for 70 years and she worked to the day she died, she gave her life to represent the people of this great country.

Some people like to mourn, want to reflect, and whilst I personally have been saddened by her passing, I have carried on with work, and personally I would have enjoyed to watch sport this weekend, but I do respect the powers that be making the decision. It's a game of football and it's one weekend.

But the level of disrespect shown on this thread is so sad, and I personally think this paints the club and its fanbase is a very low light. 

I think that’s true of a lot of threads on OTIB for the last few years. I miss the days when you could have a nice chat about Bristol City!

Edited by One Team

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I certainly wasn't calling for a full UK shutdown Mr P... infact quite the opposite.

I was responding to a post regarding British Identity, and made the point that this has eroded beyond repair over the previous few decades and the love for the Royal family is part of this. I won't get all political and start discussing the reasons for this erosion on a football forum, but i'm sure everyone has their own thoughts.

If a similar figure had passed away in many other countries around the world, then i'm sure it would have been handled very differently, but the way the UK has dealt with it purely reflects where we are at, and the lack of "Britishness" that now exists (rightly or wrongly)

14 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I applaud the Met office for not predicting future weather for the time being.  Her Majesty hated weather forecasts beyond the day itself so it’s fitting that they have done this. 

65A02BD7-17AE-485E-AE51-8A09B1A66F9E.png

I’m sure you’re joking but I’ve seen people actually outraged about this, who presumably can’t read.

Clearly says they will still be doing forecasts and warnings - what they won’t be doing is any unnecessary or trivial tweets.

11 hours ago, Colombo Robin said:

One good thing to come out of this is it might make people take note of how ridiculous the whole set up is and hasten the demise of the monarchy. Such an outdated concept. There will inevitably always be rich and poor, but to this extent, where eveyone has to pause life because someone who none of us have ever met died, when people we know personally die all the time and in there own way are just as worthy of respect as the queen.  Think we should all be aiming for something more balanced for our kids to grow up in

Why? I don’t necessarily disageee with you but to say the cancellation of football will make people “take note” is silly. The monarchy didn’t call off football

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why? I don’t necessarily disageee with you but to say the cancellation of football will make people “take note” is silly. The monarchy didn’t call off football

Half a million people in Bristol, about 25,000 watch football regularly. 

Most people won’t give a monkey’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

I think you'll find the main justification for 'Monarchy' these past 3 centuries is it appears to deliver constitutional and political stability it, after all, meaning 'the rule of the many by the one for the purpose of good'. Look at the remaining 46 monarchies around the globe and they tend to be decent, peaceful and prosperous places to reside. When monarchies fall they're invariably replaced by President Republics or Confederations. A quick scan of the major Presidencies of late doesn't exactly promote the concept: Trump , Biden, Putin, Xi, Erdogan, Bolsanaro, Kim Jong-un, Salih, al-Assad, Maduro. Add in just about any African nation, ex-Soviet state and central American dictatorship, consider security, conflict, economic stability and personal liberty and monarchy wins out by a mile.

That's not to say the present form of the UK Royal Family should remain, rather their very function within the constitution should be preserved and for good reason, it provides an essential buffer to political extremism and stasis.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if folks bothered to review the Royals funding position rather than fixate on the Privy Purse, as anti-monarchists so love to do, they'll see The Exchequer receives far, far more in revenue from them than is paid back and that's before any 'benefit' to UKPLC's economy is considered.

As for Charles having 'leached out' fortunes from the Duchy of Cornwall (I assume you also include his other income streams,) its worth noting he's cost the taxpayer nothing, has paid all his own costs and voluntarily paid top rate income tax on all surplus (he didn't have to.) As per your suggestion he may subsidise his existence from 'The Duchy' he can't, its no longer his. He will, however, and as with ERII, more than pay his own way given all that he has inherited by way of income streams is paid to The Exchequer. But when I say 'he has inherited' I really should have said 'the function has inhetited,' for that's what it is.  A functional, not personal, existence. The accounts are public record. 

Presidents BTW, do not come cheap. Amazing how many have PERSONALLY become the richest people in the world.  Unlike monarchs that wealth doesn't transfer to the next in line, preserved ultimately for a nation's benefit. It sits in personal bank accounts around the globe. 

Such a mature, informative and excellent post.

Well said indeed.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This totally misses the point of what people are saying. Being frank, you’re not really able to contribute anything of note to this discussion until you realise this. 

I hang my head in shame, naughty step or down the garden to eat worms.....you choose.

I wouldn`t have been at AG today anyway as I don`t have a ST this season but I think I`m coming down on the side of the game should have been on. As many have said, it would have been a perfect opportunity to show our respect and I`m afraid the rugby decision just makes it worse.

I`m not blaming government or the Royal Family as it is the EFL/FA that have made the wrong decision IMO. It would have been better to consider each game on it`s merits re policing etc and call it off if there are likely to be operational difficulties - you wouldn`t expect something like Cardiff v Swansea to be on but us v PNE where about five coppers (if that) would be needed should be.

1 hour ago, robin for life said:

You haven't "read" the whole thread but have leaped to the conclusion that we are all being disrespectful and you are embarrassed to be associated with the rest of us.

I think if you had read the thread and had digested the points made, you will find very little disrespectful in it.

People making assumptions or picking out items that suit their own agenda, I think this is more typical of OTIB and more embarrassing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Doesn't matter who took the decision. Its out of touch and feeds perfectly into the narrative of important people, and not so important people. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Not going to scroll back through the entire thread but it doesn’t surprise me. I disagree with it but I can almost understand professional sport but why grassroots? Kids sports? Haven’t the kids suffered enough with missing out on sport, school etc & the vital socialisation & interaction these things bring at young ages. To me it’s just nonsensical.

While I take your point that kids sport being cancelled seems OTT, does all kids sport these days have to be organised?

Is there anything to stop them getting the vital socialisation and interaction you speak of by going down the park with their pals for a kickabout like I used to just about every day in the school holidays?

Another way of looking at it is a short pause in their normal routine gives them an opportunity to take in and at least begin to understand the enormity of the current events in their country - the death of the Queen is an historic landmark event they will remember for the rest of their lives - which could be argued is a good thing.

As they watch events unfold, culminating in the Queen's state funeral, they'll be absorbed in momentous scenes they'll no doubt remember in the same way I still remember Churchill's state funeral (just about) and the moon landings in my own Primary School days, and, inbetween, there's nothing to stop them meeting up with their friends to play football or anything else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Doesn't matter who took the decision. Its out of touch and feeds perfectly into the narrative of important people, and not so important people. 

Of course it matters who took the decision. It wasn't government, it wasn't the royal family, it was the Premier League board. They decided it should be postponed. They lobbied their clubs and got approval. The FA and the EFL then fell in step like good little boys.

Other sports, who are run by people not so desperate to be seen as relevant, not so inflated by their own self-importance, they've played on.

It is only those who run football who are showing themselves to have fallen out of touch and to have misjudged the public mood.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

While I take your point that kids sport being cancelled seems OTT, does all kids sport these days have to be organised?

Is there anything to stop them getting the vital socialisation and interaction you speak of by going down the park with their pals for a kickabout like I used to just about every day in the school holidays?

Another way of looking at it is a short pause in their normal routine gives them an opportunity to take in and at least begin to understand the enormity of the current events in their country - the death of the Queen is an historic landmark event they will remember for the rest of their lives - which could be argued is a good thing.

As they watch events unfold, culminating in the Queen's state funeral, they'll be absorbed in momentous scenes they'll no doubt remember in the same way I still remember Churchill's state funeral (just about) and the moon landings in my own Primary School days, and, inbetween, there's nothing to stop them meeting up with their friends to play football or anything else.

Having been annoyed for the last 24 hours as a result of the postponement, this is an interesting perspective which I hadn’t considered. Thanks 

• Like 1