IGNORED

Things to do this afternoon

Redar me

3 hours ago, Redar me said:

Guessing lots of people might want to do something this afternoon apart from DIY.

I’ve worked all week and look forward to my Saturday sport it’s a lifetime habit . 
I’m off to watch Cleeve Rugby at 3 playing Old Bristolians where I am sure I will be able to pay my respects to the Queen.

My local club Cleve I may do likewise- seems they have had a tough few years dropping down the rugby pyramid.

54 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks will look for that.

My knowledge of it comes from Law school. It's fascinating that it's evolved over hundreds of years, from the witengamot and tingmeets of the 8th and 9th centuries, down through monarchs and ministers of various quality, through wars both foreign and civil, through Empire and down to the diverse Privy Council and promises and proclamations I'm watching now.

Proper grown up government. A unifying answer to the question of why should you and I obey the law?

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close imo.

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, fascinating stuff. It's a long road from the divine right of monarchs!

I learned the basics of the Constitution at my bog standard comprehensive school so not to your level of understanding. Though I later read Peter (now Baron) Hennessy's excellent book The Hidden Wiring: Unearthing the British Constitution.

I have long thought it essential that people should have some understanding of that and of how Parliament works, or should work, if they are to hold politicians to account. Though I suspect politicians would rather they didn't.?

Anyway, off topic stuff so I'll stop there.

I think this will interest me. You only have to look at the Proclamation this morning to find yourself wondering who decides who is on the stage and in the audience. I sometimes wonder if this is where the conspiracy theories of the "real rulers" come from. :)

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I do wonder why it would have been disrespectful for them to play last night but not this afternoon. There's obviously something subtle I don't understand.?

Read in the paper today that moving the match has cost in the region of £300,000....Not sure how exactly unless it won't be televised as I assume it would have been yesterday.

• Thanks 1

Well grandsons up for weekend for Preston game and Poooof!!!!! It's gone.breakfast negotiated so far good. Def. Going to watch episodes 1-3 'rings if powers' Need to go to shops and not sure weather to be trusted to do a random day trip  on bus or train. So thinking be a day after rings of power if star wars and X box 

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Could always go and watch the egg chasing postponed from last night…:facepalm: 

I am, but I was going anyway. Would much rather be going to see City though. 

And for the record, I don't feel any more (or less) respectful today than I did yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Read in the paper today that moving the match has cost in the region of £300,000....Not sure how exactly unless it won't be televised as I assume it would have been yesterday.

The cost of ignoring DCMS advice that there was no need to postpone sporting fixtures as a matter of protocol.

I actually think it's disrespectful to the royal family to assume they would be so small minded as to object. Or that it would even cross their minds at their time of loss.

Hold the game, have a minutes silence, play the national anthem, wear black arm bands. That's respectful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The cost of ignoring DCMS advice that there was no need to postpone sporting fixtures as a matter of protocol.

I actually think it's disrespectful to the royal family to assume they would be so small minded as to object. Or that it would even cross their minds at their time of loss.

Hold the game, have a minutes silence, play the national anthem, wear black arm bands. That's respectful.

Not sure I understand your reply. I was referring to the alleged costof the Rugby being moved.

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Many, many rugby tickets have been refunded. Lots of hospitality cancelled too. Also the loss of any revenue from TV.

Less people attending so less food and drink sold, even car parking refunds add up. Yes this has cost us a huge amount. I saw between £200,000 ans £400,000 quoted and thought that was a bit high, but from what I know it really isn't.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Many, many tickets have been refunded. Lots of hospitality cancelled too. Also the loss of any revenue from TV.

Less people attending so less food and drink sold, even car parking refunds add up. Yes this has cost us a huge amount. I saw between £200,000 ans £400,000 quoted and thought that was a bit high, but from what I know it really isn't.

I saw the same figure as you so plumped for the in between figure. Surely it will be the Rugby club that loses that amount by having their fixture moved not us (City)

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

I saw the same figure as you so plumped for the in between figure. Surely it will be the Rugby club that loses that amount by having their fixture moved not us (City)

Yes sorry, I did hastily add the word rugby as i realised it could cause confusion. The football match is yet to be arranged so no refunds happening for that yet.  

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure I understand your reply. I was referring to the alleged costof the Rugby being moved.

Understood, my point being that there was no requirement under protocol as advised by DCMS to move the fixture. That has led to an unnecessary cost for no purpose.

Football clubs will doubtless also incur extra costs as a result of postponing games unnecessarily.

As an aside I see also this morning that the Premier League is now concerned that it may not be possible to play all the games next weekend due to insufficient police being available, particularly in London.

The governing bodies really didn't think this through did they?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think this will interest me. You only have to look at the Proclamation this morning to find yourself wondering who decides who is on the stage and in the audience. I sometimes wonder if this is where the conspiracy theories of the "real rulers" come from. :)

I believe one reason (happy to be corrected) is that those people there gathered - members of the Privy Council - are those that are assumed to have the power, wealth, land and possibly the motive to organise a rebellion or coup. By getting them in a room early doors to all agree that Charles III is the rightful liege lord - the words used - you legally preclude a civil war for the throne. Likewise none can claim that Charles has not promised to do his duty. He is now answerable to them, and they are answerable to him. The crown is preserved.

At this point I think we should acknowledge how well Anne, Edward and Andrew are doing. So far as I can see none of them are marshalling forces to take the throne. We will have no war of the diadochi. Instead a peaceful transition for for modern times and sentiments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

At this point I think we should acknowledge how well Anne, Edward and Andrew are doing. So far as I can see none of them are marshalling forces to take the throne. We will have no war of the diadochi. Instead a peaceful transition for for modern times and sentiments.

And it precludes Boris Johnson from usurping the throne as a means of achieving his childhood ambition to be World King.?

• Flames 1

I will now be spending the day preparing the substantive elements of an outline legal position for claiming the :cool2: emoji as my own intellectual property solely so I can charge Robbored £5 for each of the 11,000 different times he's used it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s definitely applies to my bowls club. We got promoted for the first time ever to Premier2 by playing attacking bowls.

As for me getting beaten in three semi finals, two of them were pairs and it was all my partners fault……..…….:whistle2:

I'll believe this when it's on the official website. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Admin
4 hours ago, phantom said:

Today is the day to be earning those brownie points to cash in later in the season 

Going out with my new girlfriend walking her dog this afternoon then cooking for her later...along with taking her to Villa Man City last week (she's a Villa fan) these points are stacking up nicely 

• Like 3