IGNORED

Things to do this afternoon

Redar me

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s our Finals weekend at my bowls club so I’ll be heading off there. I’m not in any unfortunately, got knocked out in three semi finals……………..:disapointed2se:

That’s because you were playing against ‘proper’ bowls players

Edited by RedRaw
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What? Players that have won promotions and cups and play attractive, attacking bowls?

That’s definitely applies to my bowls club. We got promoted for the first time ever to Premier2 by playing attacking bowls.

As for me getting beaten in three semi finals, two of them were pairs and it was all my partners fault……..…….:whistle2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s definitely applies to my bowls club. We got promoted for the first time ever to Premier2 by playing attacking bowls.

As for me getting beaten in three semi finals, two of them were pairs and it was all my partners fault……..…….:whistle2:

Whoever runs the club must be a proper manager. Not only attacking bowls but a promotion to the premier league (2)!

3 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Whoever runs the club must be a proper manager. Not only attacking bowls but a promotion to the premier league (2)!

And not allow the players to go on the lash and get into fights outside nightclubs - that drinking culture spirals out of control very easily. It starts with a small sweet sherry and before you know it it`s descended into bottles of cheap cider in a churchyard.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not this afternoon, but I'd encourage people to switch the TV on now and watch our Constitution in action. Proclamation ceremony on now. Never before televised. Fantastic.

For the more academically minded with an interest in Constitutional history (which may just be me!) I recommend a series of videos by Professor Vernon Bogdanor on the Gresham College YouTube channel on monarchs from Victoria to Elisabeth.

I learned a lot about the development of the Constitutional Monarchy (a concept basically made up by Walter Bagehot on the hoof rather than through any formal process).

My short conclusion: Victoria wasn't a fan of democracy, Elizabeth was the first to fully embrace the concept and carried it out to perfection.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

For the more academically minded with an interest in Constitutional history (which may just be me!) I recommend a series of videos by Professor Vernon Bogdanor on the Gresham College YouTube channel on monarchs from Victoria to Elisabeth.

I learned a lot about the development of the Constitutional Monarchy (a concept basically made up by Walter Bagehot on the hoof rather than through any formal process).

My short conclusion: Victoria wasn't a fan of democracy, Elizabeth was the first to fully embrace the concept and carried it out to perfection.

Thanks will look for that.

My knowledge of it comes from Law school. It's fascinating that it's evolved over hundreds of years, from the witengamot and tingmeets of the 8th and 9th centuries, down through monarchs and ministers of various quality, through wars both foreign and civil, through Empire and down to the diverse Privy Council and promises and proclamations I'm watching now.

Proper grown up government. A unifying answer to the question of why should you and I obey the law?

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close imo.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I may take a gander after I've cleaned up.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks will look for that.

My knowledge of it comes from Law school. It's fascinating that it's evolved over hundreds of years, from the witengamot and tingmeets of the 8th and 9th centuries, down through monarchs and ministers of various quality, through wars both foreign and civil, through Empire and down to the diverse Privy Council and promises and proclamations I'm watching now.

Proper grown up government. A unifying answer to the question of why should you and I obey the law?

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close imo.

Thanks, fascinating stuff. It's a long road from the divine right of monarchs!

I learned the basics of the Constitution at my bog standard comprehensive school so not to your level of understanding. Though I later read Peter (now Baron) Hennessy's excellent book The Hidden Wiring: Unearthing the British Constitution.

I have long thought it essential that people should have some understanding of that and of how Parliament works, or should work, if they are to hold politicians to account. Though I suspect politicians would rather they didn't.?

Anyway, off topic stuff so I'll stop there.