IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

6 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bc5956666172ba1d20ee9703544eff82.jpeg

Found the team sheet from our last visit to Norwich. 7 of the 11 have left the club, and Vyner likely to be the only outfield player to start both games. I wonder how many of us would’ve thought that.

Congratulations to Zak on his recent 100th appearance, and well done on working hard to improve and silence the doubters. (Myself included)

I completely forgot that Mawson ever played for us.

42 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Found the team sheet from our last visit to Norwich. 7 of the 11 have left the club, and Vyner likely to be the only outfield player to start both games. I wonder how many of us would’ve thought that.

Congratulations to Zak on his recent 100th appearance, and well done on working hard to improve and silence the doubters. (Myself included)

Also Scott's 50th League appearance as Preston was postponed.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
22 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

21/22 season 20th in Premiership

20/21 season 1st in Championship

19/20 season 20th in Premiership

18/19 season 1st in Championship

If there's one set of stats that illustrates the madness of parachute payments, it's that.

Loved the rest of your post.

On the pubs front, I'd also recommend the Murderers which is in the heart of the old city and like the Fat Cat is a real ale paradise.

If you're a bitter drinker though, watch out, because many of the larger pubs mentioned are Green King and you'll only get the option of their revolting IPA. Or alternatively, you might ask to gargle their washing-up suds as they'll probably taste better. 

If you're staying for a curry, I recommend the Spice Lounge in Wensum St (handy if you've been drinking in the Rib of Beef just up the road). Cavernous, but prompt and friendly service and chilli strengths to suit all palates. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HappyClapper said:

What the hell is that midfield?

CB, CDM, CAM and a RW? 

Next two games against parachute payment clubs going to be difficult and I won't be too down if we come out of those with nothing as long we continue to play the way we are and create chances and give these two a competitive game. Would be nice to see us tear a couple of top sides apart on the counter. 

If we do lose either I hope it is down to individual errors on trying to play the way we do and not getting steamrolled. Too many times we would go away to a WBA/Norwich/Sheff U and do no way near enough but this team has no fear, let's give it a good go.

We've definitely got it in us to do something tonight and Saturday.

Interesting listening to one of their podcasts with local journalists, they think we won't stay near the top as we have no "stand out" players and their full back will be able to attack more as we have "no wingers" although they did mention TC's award although they didn't seem to know anything about him. You'd have thought they'd know about Andy Weiman with his 22 goals last season even if they weren't aware of Scott, Sykes Semenyo etc

12 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Interesting listening to one of their podcasts with local journalists, they think we won't stay near the top as we have no "stand out" players and their full back will be able to attack more as we have "no wingers" although they did mention TC's award although they didn't seem to know anything about him. You'd have thought they'd know about Andy Weiman with his 22 goals last season even if they weren't aware of Scott, Sykes Semenyo etc

It’s just people who talk and write shite for a living doing what they know how. However I always like this stuff as clearly they have no idea how good we can be! 

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Which pod was that?  I follow Conor Southwell (Pink’un pod), AlongCameNodge and Adam Brandon, and they’re usually quite good on their opposition / general champ stuff.

Aarons at RB is of course a very good player at this level, but Sunderland (in a recent game) peeled Sims or Stewart into the channel off of the RCB2 (Omobamidele) and caused them lots of problems by hitting more direct passes over their midfield.  Norwich were quite sloppy that game, plus Byram at LB is really a RB.

18 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Unfortunately, their management team won't be as ill-informed or ignorant as those local journalists.

They'll know the strengths and weaknesses inside out and it'll be a tough game.

Even so, I'm more than hopeful that we can get something out of the game and wouldn't be surprised if we win. Wells and Conway (and later on Semenyo) pulling their CBs all over the place leaving space for Weimann and Scott. Looking forward to the game.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

In some ways I am more worried about how we will get on at Burnley. We will have done a lot of travelling and played on a Wednesday. Burnley have had a local derby on a Tuesday night. Not really a fair contest on the freshness front.

I thought the same but we have a bit of depth to the squad so can make some changes for Saturday.

On 13/09/2022 at 17:01, Atyeo's lift said:

Excellent as always, Jerseybean. Is that correct about the nickname? I've always thought they played in yellow because of a link with Colman's mustard, based in Norwich, and that the nickname came from the colour.

19 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Think it’s correct, my internet source: 

“The name comes from The Strangers, who were European refugees who came to live in Norwich in the 16th Century. They were famous for breeding canaries, and the football club’s name is one of their most famous legacies.”

I have certainly not checked, but, naive as I am, I have always asumed their nickname comes quite simply from the colour of their shirts.

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I guess that there are rooms in the hotel from which you can see the whole of the pitch. It was a pleasant surprise (for me!) to find that we have a view of even part of the pitch.

It’s not exactly the Hanging Gardens of Babylon but makes me a happy saddo!

Are you staying with Mrs Richards?

• Haha 10