IGNORED

Penalty...

spudski

59 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Hanley tackle on Skye’s was clumsy but still a foal therefore should have been a penalty. 
If the same challenge had been in the Bristol City box by any one of our defenders penalty would have been awarded. A simple sneeze ? anywhere near an opposing forward in the City box has our defence always seem to glance towards the ref expecting the penalty to be awarded. Oh for referees to be consistent! 

What on earth are you talking about?  Referees have been very consistent in not awarding us a penalty!

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

Hanley tackle on Skye’s was clumsy but still a foal therefore should have been a penalty. 
If the same challenge had been in the Bristol City box by any one of our defenders penalty would have been awarded. A simple sneeze ? anywhere near an opposing forward in the City box has our defence always seem to glance towards the ref expecting the penalty to be awarded. Oh for referees to be consistent! 

That's what boils my p1ss, the freekick given to Norwich in the build up to the 1st goal was so soft and struggle to see as a foul, then not long after Alex gets a harder version of the same what the ref has given, but no foul, then a few minutes later he does not give the penalty which again was much more a foul than the 1st one he gave.

I don't care if refs give everything, although I prefer when they give little and let teh game flow, I just want consistency for both sides. 

• Like 2

Just on a general comparison note, not delved into significant numbers yet but last season and this, Reading have been statistically not dissimilar to us and perhaps a bit worse.

In the League, I think they've been awarded 2 penalties this season alone and 6 since the start of last season. That is sixfold above us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

In respect of stats yesterday, @Curr Avon especially.

From 1st November 2020 to present- all competitive matches and inclusive of extra time for Cup games

1 penalty per 4,485 minutes of play. Or 49.8333 recurring 90 minute periods.

If we are looking at League only over the same period

1 penalty in 8,280 minutes of play. 

Or put simply, one awarded in the last 92 League games.

On 15/09/2022 at 12:37, chucky said:

I agree.  Norwich supports seem to think that Wells fouled their player and that is why they were booing.

Wells was fouled and then kinda kicked out / rolled over, looked like he kicked the Norwich player in the head which is why he stayed down and Norwich were booing.

On 16/09/2022 at 07:44, hertsexile said:

we got away with one too if I recall, certainly not a stone wall but close enough to suggest your statement isnt quite true

On 16/09/2022 at 16:18, Mr Popodopolous said:

In respect of stats yesterday, @Curr Avon especially.

From 1st November 2020 to present- all competitive matches and inclusive of extra time for Cup games

1 penalty per 4,485 minutes of play. Or 49.8333 recurring 90 minute periods.

If we are looking at League only over the same period

1 penalty in 8,280 minutes of play. 

Or put simply, one awarded in the last 92 League games.

Just add 45 to the 4,485, add 0.5 to the 49.833.

Now 1 per 4,530, or 50.333 recurring.

Add 90 to the 8,280 or 1 to the 92 games.

Now 1 in 8,370 minutes of play or 93 League games.

Not that we had any particular claims today tbh.

Might have a look this week at as a starting point, some of the shots to penalties data for the 18 clubs who were in the Championship last season and still are..ie those who did not go up or down in 2021-22.

Some comparisons will be interesting I reckon.

14 sides, ie us and 13 others who were in the Championship in 2020-21, 2021-22 and 2022-23.

If I get time at some point, I might get into shots, goals and even the figures for goals and penalties but excluding own goals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just add 45 to the 4,485, add 0.5 to the 49.833.

Now 1 per 4,530, or 50.333 recurring.

Add 90 to the 8,280 or 1 to the 92 games.

Now 1 in 8,370 minutes of play or 93 League games.

Not that we had any particular claims today tbh.

I thought their goalkeeper took Conway out in the first half, I don't think he got anywhere near the ball and knew what he was doing. I thought that was partly why Conway went off so early.

Not just us. Watching EFL highlights last night it seemed that 4 or 5 stonewall penalties were waved away by the referees. Got me wondering if refs are so poor these days that it's easier to bottle giving a penalty than making a mistake awarding one that shouldn't have been.

Grant Holt is a lucky boy. Two blatant shoves in the back in a week and nothing given.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought their goalkeeper took Conway out in the first half, I don't think he got anywhere near the ball and knew what he was doing. I thought that was partly why Conway went off so early.

Thanks, will it be on highlights do you know? Unlike say the Sykes one on Wednesday or some of the claims, this one seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

I missed the 1st 5-10 mins but not one that springs to mind so much- will watch varied highlights certainly.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks, will it be on highlights do you know? Unlike say the Sykes one on Wednesday or some of the claims, this one seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

I missed the 1st 5-10 mins but not one that springs to mind so much- will watch varied highlights certainly.

It's the one just on half time, after 3-55 on the YouTube highlights. Each time I watch it it gets worse, the keeper only has eyes for TC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made a start on some of the penalty data. For 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Intending to post the relevant parts as graphs or charts this time as opposed to just numbers. Have divisional averages too, not even looked yet at penalties against or indeed the 12 constants in the division from 2020-21 to 2022-23.

The issue with this season is that the relevant shots for data appears not to be up yet, on Footcharts anyway. Will certainly post some graphs or charts when done but definitely our ratios seem to be falling below and well below average respectively when some divisional averages taken into account, especially last season

The oft cited stat of 1 in 93 games, again a huge job to take the shots let alone the shot average per side for just 37 games. At best would need to check 108 games (9 rounds, 12 per round) from 2020-21 and work backwards! Unsure I'll be doing that particular one any time soon!

On 18/09/2022 at 11:11, Port Said Red said:

It's the one just on half time, after 3-55 on the YouTube highlights. Each time I watch it it gets worse, the keeper only has eyes for TC.

Not sure I agree with that, looks to me like Conway's momentum has taken him into the keeper? Wouldn't say there was much of a forward momentum from the keeper at all so looks to me just like an accidental collision and no foul either way.

Watching it back, I actually think Conway has bottled it slightly, taken his eyes off the ball and subsequently missed a golden chance! Potentially a big moment in the game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Not sure I agree with that, looks to me like Conway's momentum has taken him into the keeper? Wouldn't say there was much of a forward momentum from the keeper at all so looks to me just like an accidental collision and no foul either way.

Watching it back, I actually think Conway has bottled it slightly, taken his eyes off the ball and subsequently missed a golden chance! Potentially a big moment in the game!

I suspect if it had gone in the ref would have given a foul on the keeper like they always do.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Goals or games? That's some question! All competitions or just League...so many ways to measure it!

It’s goals, let’s say in the league to eliminate the variability of cup runs. We’ve scored lots since we last scored from the spot. There must be a record out there somewhere. One for the stattos 

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

........ especially when we miss it, as we surely will! :)

I`m just waiting for Jeff on SS - `And we`re going over to St Andrews/Kenilworth Road/Bramall Lane/Deepdale where Bristol City have a penalty, their first one in two years (and he will know exactly how long it`s been) - what happened Bianca?`

`Nahki Wells hit the bar Jeff so it`s still 0-0`

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m just waiting for Jeff on SS - `And we`re going over to St Andrews/Kenilworth Road/Bramall Lane/Deepdale where Bristol City have a penalty, their first one in two years (and he will know exactly how long it`s been) - what happened Bianca?`

`Nahki Wells hit the bar Jeff so it`s still 0-0`

Unbelievable Jeff!

• Haha 1