IGNORED

Penalty...

spudski

1 minute ago, spudski said:

.... anyone else think the ref wasn't going to give a penalty when Williams went down in the box if Semenyo hadnt scored?

It's a good question.It was definitely a penalty though.

But I'm glad Semenyo scored. I wouldn't want to use up our one penalty of the season when we are 3-1 down with 15 left. Much better when it's 0-0 with 5 minutes left (although we'd probably hoof it over the stand).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

in 38 League games and 0 in 41 in all competitive games in that period.

1 in 82 in all competitive games in a period going back to the game following Millwall away in late January 2020 or 1 in 92 League games.

Finally if our sampling is inclusive of that, it improves a bit...in all competitive games, from Huddersfield away in early November 2020 to the present.

That would be 2 penalties awarded in 99 competitive games.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

On the subject of Pens.....I hope the Football League will consider giving Nathan "Casey" Jones a special award for "Whiner of the Year".  I hear him after every match on Sky bemoaning their lack of penalties and how unjust the World is, in that distinctive Welsh drone? Ha!   He has no idea how good they have it compared to our dismal record?

Edited by maxjak

5 minutes ago, chucky said:

I agree.  Norwich supports seem to think that Wells fouled their player and that is why they were booing.

You see I saw that as six of one and half a dozen of the other.  Wells seemed to me to be grappled by their player and then he put his arms out himself and caught the guy.  I can only assume that's how it looked to the referee as well.

Hats off to Williams though.  Really switched on to the opportunity. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

in 38 League games and 0 in 41 in all competitive games in that period.

1 in 92 League games or 1 in 82 in all competitive games in a period going back to the game following Millwall away in late January 2021!

Finally if our sampling is inclusive of that, it improves a bit...in all competitive games, from Huddersfield away in early November 2020 to the present.

That would be 2 penalties awarded in 99 competitive games.

1 in 92 League games or 1 in 82 in all competitive games in a period going back to the game following Millwall away in late January 2021! - Sorry to be pedantic, but should this be the other way round.

And based on the timing of our last penalty, at Coventry last season, please can you calculate the number of minutes?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Super said:

I thought Sykes went down too easily but seen them given certainly.

Actually think Tinnion summed it up perfectly, if it's given for you you'd agree and if it was given against you it would be soft!

I thought it was a pen personally, but don't look at it in the same way as some of the other ones we've been turned down over the last 18 months or so. If there was VAR I don't think they would have overturned it

55 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

1 in 92 League games or 1 in 82 in all competitive games in a period going back to the game following Millwall away in late January 2021! - Sorry to be pedantic, but should this be the other way round.

And based on the timing of our last penalty, at Coventry last season, please can you calculate the number of minutes?

Amended that part.

Just take basic 90 or shall I tot up the stoppage time too? The latter based on BBC text comms as to 90 + x for stoppage time added at the end of each half.

For competitive games, it reads as 0 penalties in 3,765 minutes of play. 38 League games, 3 Cup games- penalty was awarded just before HT at Coventry in the League, and the Cup game v Fulham had half an hour of extra time.

The League alone and forget stoppage time for a minute, reads as 0 penalties in 3,465 minutes of play. Was awarded at the end of the 1st half at Coventry.

Another way of looking at it might be 0 penalties in 41.8333 (rounding etc) 90 minute periods.

I can have a look at the longer period ones later ie 1 in x or 2 in y etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

46 minutes ago, Super said:

Looked a foul by Wells before that. 

My view was that Aarons “obstructed” Wells, made more of an attempt to block Wells run than to make a tackle, so you could argue the first foul was by the Norwich RB.  I think that’s why the ref plays on…ie they both committed fouls, so get on with it.

I think he would’ve blew for a pen had Semenyo not scored.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Super said:

Looked a foul by Wells before that. 

Looked to me like their player went for shoulder barge/block on wells who saw it coming so kinda stopped running, which made their player go too far past wells who then side stepped him with an arm on his shoulder to ease past him. If that’s being given as a foul then there is no hope for the game ? 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Amended that part.

Just take basic 90 or shall I tot up the stoppage time too? The latter based on BBC text comms as to 90 + x for stoppage time added at the end of each half.

For competitive games, it reads as 0 penalties in 3,765 minutes of play. 38 League games, 3 Cup games- penalty was awarded just before HT at Coventry in the League, and the Cup game v Fulham had half an hour of extra time.

The League alone and forget stoppage time for a minute, reads as 0 penalties in 3,465 minutes of play. Was awarded at the end of the 1st half at Coventry.

Another way of looking at it might be 0 penalties in 41.667 (rounding etc) 90 minute periods.

I can have a look at the longer period ones later ie 1 in x or 2 in y etc.

Thank you. And this goes without saying.

See the source image

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Actually think Tinnion summed it up perfectly, if it's given for you you'd agree and if it was given against you it would be soft!

I thought it was a pen personally, but don't look at it in the same way as some of the other ones we've been turned down over the last 18 months or so. If there was VAR I don't think they would have overturned it

If against us I'd have been annoyed. Sure, would have been slightly soft. At worst.

Equally however Hanley was completely clumsy. If we were in the PL that's gets given on VAR you would have thought.

Not a truly dangerous position, not going towards goal, just a stupid stupid challenge.

If that was Atkinson making that challenge I'd be swearing.

• Like 1

Hanley tackle on Skye’s was clumsy but still a foal therefore should have been a penalty. 
If the same challenge had been in the Bristol City box by any one of our defenders penalty would have been awarded. A simple sneeze ? anywhere near an opposing forward in the City box has our defence always seem to glance towards the ref expecting the penalty to be awarded. Oh for referees to be consistent! 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As soon as he allowed Semenyo to shoot, the advantage had been played. If he had missed it would have been a goal kick. Championship refs don't have the nuts for brave logical decisions like that and definitely not when it's Bristol City.

17 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I think Wells was looking for contact and hence the foul but had to move towards Aarons to get it, and ended up with his arm over his shoulder. So a foul by Wells imo.

I thought it was going to be given as a foul, but I’d like to think the ref saw a small tug on the shoulder and then Aarons holding his face rolling around like a little bitch and thought he didn’t deserve a free kick for it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My view was that Aarons “obstructed” Wells, made more of an attempt to block Wells run than to make a tackle, so you could argue the first foul was by the Norwich RB.  I think that’s why the ref plays on…ie they both committed fouls, so get on with it.

As a fully qualified Dolman referee, that’s exactly what happened!

51 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Hanley tackle on Skye’s was clumsy but still a foal therefore should have been a penalty. 
If the same challenge had been in the Bristol City box by any one of our defenders penalty would have been awarded. A simple sneeze ? anywhere near an opposing forward in the City box has our defence always seem to glance towards the ref expecting the penalty to be awarded. Oh for referees to be consistent! 

I think Hanley is more of an old Donkey than a Foal but everyone is entitled to their opinion.