IGNORED

3 up 3 down?

firstdivision

Ten games gone. We’ve all had a look. Who are the three teams you think will be promoted; who are the teams you think will go down? 
Relegation seems much harder to predict for me. Birmingham? Huddersfield? Blackpool? I always start the season with the question: who are the (three) teams we’ll definitely finish above? So you can do that one if you like. 
Promotion: three from Sheffield United, Watford, Burnley and Norwich. 

• Like 2

I'm not expecting Sheffield United to maintain their current form all season, but they certainly look strong at the moment. 

The 3 relegated prem teams are going to up there & you'd never write off West Brom. 

Middlesborough have started poorly, but you'd expect them to improve. 

Stoke could be challengers. 

Reading, I'd expect to drop away & the same with Rotherham. 

I'd say there are probably 4 teams that are better than us & the rest we are very capable of competing against - so top 6 challenge is certainly a possibility - but it's very early days yet.... I think we need to see where we are after halfway, when we've played everyone once. 

If we are up & around the top 6 at that time, then it's all to play for. 

If we've slipped off the pace by then, then anything is still possible, but we'd hope to finish around 10th.

Its too early to condemn anyone as relegation fodder at this stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm not expecting Sheffield United to maintain their current form all season, but they certainly look strong at the moment. 

The 3 relegated prem teams are going to up there & you'd never write off West Brom. 

Middlesborough have started poorly, but you'd expect them to improve. 

Stoke could be challengers. 

Reading, I'd expect to drop away & the same with Rotherham. 

I'd say there are probably 4 teams that are better than us & the rest we are very capable of competing against - so top 6 challenge is certainly a possibility - but it's very early days yet.... I think we need to see where we are after halfway, when we've played everyone once. 

If we are up & around the top 6 at that time, then it's all to play for. 

If we've slipped off the pace by then, then anything is still possible, but we'd hope to finish around 10th.

Its too early to condemn anyone as relegation fodder at this stage. 

West Brom are looking at a top 10 finish as a result,Sheff Utd will be right up there as will Burnley and Norwich when they get a decent manager in who isn’t so negative 

The usual suspects being mentioned to go up, I think we could sneak a play off place though.

Birmingham to go down, Luton I thought looked poor when we played them and Jones could leave for Cardiff so that could spell curtains for them.

I'll throw an odd team into the mix for the 3rd spot, Preston. They simply aren't scoring enough. Yes they looked good defensively but drawing games nil nil won't keep you up.

29 minutes ago, Pearcy said:

I'll throw an odd team into the mix for the 3rd spot, Preston. They simply aren't scoring enough. Yes they looked good defensively but drawing games nil nil won't keep you up.

Draw every game and you get 46 points. That would have been enough to keep you up in most recent seasons. Preston won't go down.

My top 3 right now are Sheff Utd, Norwich and Burnley. Nothing clever there.

Bottom 3 are harder but I think you could do worse than calling it as Huddersfield, Blackpool and Hull. Birmingham are trying hard to get relegated though and Coventry could really suffer as well if they can't make up their games in hand. 

Provided they don't get raided in January and lose Brownhill or Cullen Burnley will win the league. Rodrigues aside, they may seem to lack the firepower of Sheffield United, Norwich and Watford but they have the best midfield and look a real team. I'm not sure who will go up automatically with them but again January dales/purchases might decide it. As things stand I'm not convinced by Norwich. They have players to come back but will need them. We could and probably should have won at Carrow Road as their midfield created very little. Nunez is decent but Cantwell is a show pony who really should have been booked on Wednesday. If they keep players fit I'd edge towards Sheffield United over Watford. 

At the other end being behind in both points and games and having to play catch up in an already congested season due to the World Cup may be too much for Coventry. They are certainly not being helped by Hamer having picked up 2 red cards already. If they don't get a bump from a new manager, Cardiff could go into free fall. As for the remaining place I'd like it to be Reading, but one from Birmingham, Huddersfield and Blackpool is more likely, although Rotherham could falter if Warne leaves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Ten games gone. We’ve all had a look. Who are the three teams you think will be promoted; who are the teams you think will go down? 
Relegation seems much harder to predict for me. Birmingham? Huddersfield? Blackpool? I always start the season with the question: who are the (three) teams we’ll definitely finish above? So you can do that one if you like. 
Promotion: three from Sheffield United, Watford, Burnley and Norwich. 

Way too early to tell. The championship can change quickly over 5-6 games . We’ve been init long enough for anyone to know that 

1 hour ago, Pearcy said:

The usual suspects being mentioned to go up, I think we could sneak a play off place though.

Birmingham to go down, Luton I thought looked poor when we played them and Jones could leave for Cardiff so that could spell curtains for them.

Preston have amassed only 2 points less than us so far. 

Many might argue that their formula is more likely to see them safe, than ours is. 

They must be boring to watch, but a solid defence is usually considered the basis of success. 

Our defensive frailty leaves us needing to score more than should be required. 

Entertaining, but leaves you very venerable if teams learn how to stifle our attack. 

I don't think either of us will have any concerns about relegation, fwiw. 

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rumours on their forum of financial issues too.

On that note, read that they are <£1m in cash flow due to the postponed games- the 3 due to the ground rugby issues and then last weekend was all off, when they would have hosted WBA.

Although coming from behind twice to draw at Luton then a hard fought 0-0 at Birmingham this week suggests possible green shoots, small steps etc.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Coventry I think could be in trouble even with their games in hand, Something just doesn`t seem right there at the moment, they seem to have lost their `fight` somewhere. Rumours on their forum of financial issues too.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On that note, read that they are <£1m in cash flow due to the postponed games- the 3 due to the ground rugby issues and then last weekend was all off, when they would have hosted WBA.

Although coming from behind twice to draw at Luton then a hard fought 0-0 at Birmingham this week suggests possible green shoots, small steps etc.

Heard there are having financial difficulties…not sure what they mean by that.  Could be Cashflow could be owners not wanting to back / cover losses.  Who knows.  Hyam leaving has left a whole at the back too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Heard there are having financial difficulties…not sure what they mean by that.  Could be Cashflow could be owners not wanting to back / cover losses.  Who knows.  Hyam leaving has left a whole at the back too.

How things change.

When I was (much) younger, hymen leaving used to mean there was a hole in the front.

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I genuinely think we are contenders this year. If we can keep everyone fully fit (pha) and with the return of Kalas and Klose we are looking pretty good. 

Going to be interesting how a fully defensive player options will effect selection process. At least the current defence defensive line up is settled due to less options 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I genuinely think we are contenders this year. If we can keep everyone fully fit (pha) and with the return of Kalas and Klose we are looking pretty good. 

Therein lies our problem. Two or three injuries to key players could leave us looking a much weaker team. Hardly any cover at CB already and really only Semenyo up front who isn't starting. 

Should be noted that Coventry have played one game at home and six away, but even so the results have been terrible and they've not won a game yet. They are in trouble which they'll find it difficult to recover from imo.

Hull are struggling at the moment, losing five of the last six games and conceding 18 goals in those six games, on a bit of a decline.

Cardiff also looking over their shoulders.

Going up is a bit clearer imo with Burnley and Sheffield United a shoe in for me, but loads of options for the other place with Norwich probably favourites. WBA should also be up there.

Bit of a cop out but, at this time, I'd say Sheffield, Burnley, and Norwich going up (and all three to come back down).

Coventry, Hull, and Cardiff for the drop.

City have too many individual costly errors in them and have a very leaky defence, we are also really lacking in quality in some areas (the Burnley game was evidence of that) and we don't have the squad depth to make a challenge for the top 6 imo, although a top half finish shouldn't be beyond us and would represent real progress. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Therein lies our problem. Two or three injuries to key players could leave us looking a much weaker team. Hardly any cover at CB already and really only Semenyo up front who isn't starting. 

Klose is fit, he strikes me as pretty decent CB cover & when Kalas is back we will be far stronger there.

We have Tanner & Wilson for RWB, Pring for LWB, Williams, Massengo & King in centre mid & Semenyo & Martin (who you appear to have forgotten) up front. O’Leary & Bajic in goal.

That seems to be pretty decent options to me.

So far we have barely had an injury, James has missed a couple but that’s it, seeing as Kalas has been out since March & Benarous since May.

I think our squad strength is far better than our squad depth, which is the right way around.

Burnley are the best team we’ve played so far IMO, and I think we’d find Norwich would say we’re the best they’ve played.

For me, Burnley, Sheff Utd and Norwich will be in the top six, and we will be in the mix for the top 10 with a bit of luck and if we maintain current standards. 

Coventry, Huddersfield, Birmingham and Rotherham all will be down there, and I think Reading are in a false position. 

Edited by tin

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Klose is fit, he strikes me as pretty decent CB cover & when Kalas is back we will be far stronger there.

We have Tanner & Wilson for RWB, Pring for LWB, Williams, Massengo & King in centre mid & Semenyo & Martin (who you appear to have forgotten) up front. O’Leary & Bajic in goal.

So far we have barely had an injury, James has missed a couple but that’s it, seeing as Kalas has been out since March & Benarous since May.

I think our squad strength is far better than our squad depth, which is the right way around.

Should also include Sam Bell… Tinnion mentioned on Robins TV before the Norwich game that in his opinion Sam and Tommy Conway were “at the same level”.. 

24 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Should also include Sam Bell… Tinnion mentioned on Robins TV before the Norwich game that in his opinion Sam and Tommy Conway were “at the same level”.. 

He should know.

But Conway isn't doing too badly and will take some shifting.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Didn't forget Martin. I think we are a weaker team if he plays. He is too slow to play the high press we have adopted. In fact CM as cover illustrates the point imo. 

You can't really say we have cover at CB when Kalas is fit. He has yet to play this season and we don't know yet when he will. I still feel, as things stand, a couple of key injuries could result in a fairly big drop in the team performance level. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Didn't forget Martin. I think we are a weaker team if he plays. He is too slow to play the high press we have adopted. In fact CM as cover illustrates the point imo. 

You can't really say we have cover at CB when Kalas is fit. He has yet to play this season and we don't know yet when he will. I still feel, as things stand, a couple of key injuries could result in a fairly big drop in the team performance level. 

I didn’t say actually that, I said Klose was currently fit & was decent CB cover. When Kalas is back then we’d be stronger again.

Martin is plenty good enough to be a squad option for me, 12 goals, 6 assists last season as part of the WSM strike force.

Clearly behind Wells & Conway at present but a far better player than you are giving him credit for.

• Like 2