IGNORED

Next Time....

Dolman_Stand

Next Time....  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, MarcusX said:

I voted relegation, doesn’t mean I want us to or think it will happen soon, but on law of averages through our history I’d say it’s more likely we go down at some point rather than up.

Well I dream of a city win and promotion all the time. I least I have a dream.

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it's actually an interesting question. We're in a good position right now, but not really so good that we can seriously expect promotion this season. Our overall situation is fragile as well. FFP, young talent leaving, older stalwarts fading and retiring, possible ownership changes, or the manager or coaches leaving. All very real threats that would affect our prospects of promotion. It's more likely imo that one or two of those things does happen rather than none happens.

There is also our historical tendancy to be a 2nd/3rd level club rather than a 1st/2nd level. Our general tendancy to finish lower in this division than higher.

Relegation is also easier than promotion.

I think realistically in the long term relegation is more likely than promotion.

Relegation is always easier. For example, we could ditch Nige and appoint Mr Joseph Anthony Barton. Job done.  :whistle2:

However, I don't think that we historically have rarely been a top flight club is an issue. Times change. Brentford look quite comfortable there. Then there are Brighton and Bournemouth. Historically, teams like Bolton and Wednesday would be up the top. Shit, there are non-league clubs that have been in the old First Division. 

We have a good manager. We have some good players. Money issues have hampered us from becoming the club the manager exactly wants, but we have momentum. I think our future under Pearson is Championship or Premiership. Post Pearson, that's another issue. Too many what-ifs to ponder at this stage. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Me too, obviously it’s what I want - just answering the question realistically

'realistically" accurate and true to life and most probable. The reality is that we are currently playing great football that is now positive and great to watch. We are now getting respect as a solid club in the championship with potential and capable of success. 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Relegation is always easier. For example, we could ditch Nige and appoint Mr Joseph Anthony Barton. Job done.  :whistle2:

However, I don't think that we historically have rarely been a top flight club is an issue. Times change. Brentford look quite comfortable there. Then there are Brighton and Bournemouth. Historically, teams like Bolton and Wednesday would be up the top. Shit, there are non-league clubs that have been in the old First Division. 

We have a good manager. We have some good players. Money issues have hampered us from becoming the club the manager exactly wants, but we have momentum. I think our future under Pearson is Championship or Premiership. Post Pearson, that's another issue. Too many what-ifs to ponder at this stage. 

I would be interested to know what you voted, sounds like you are sitting on the fence.

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't specify, but I meant recent history rather than out average position since 1894. I completely have the opinion that no club "has a place" and that all should be able to rise or fall. None of my posts dispute that.

I also don't think we'll be relegated anytime soon. I also don't think Pearson will take us up. I think the most likely short term future is continuing to be a Championship team. 

But OP's question was about which way we will eventually exit the Championship when we do.

I hope it will be promotion.

I think it will be relegation.

Edited by ExiledAjax

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Promotion, but if it isn't achieved in the next two seasons then it just isn't possible to predict. 

Season 23/24 or 24/25 promotion. If not then I agree to hard to predict. I still think that if we do not get promoted over the next two seasons then we will settle in this league for some time. Relegation I do not think will be a discussion point.

I thinks it's impossible to say & will largely be dictaded by timescales. 

For example, if we don't go up this season (no fear of relegation imo) then we are going to lose some of our prized assets. Then we have no idea what they'd be replaced with. 

Each season we stay up, but dont go up, will see any of our best players cherry picked by those higher up the pecking order. 

Based on this season, so far, I actually think (defensive lapses aside) that this season is possibly offering us a real opportunity of making a serious push. 

I suppose the answer to your question, has to be that we are more likely to be relegated, before we are promoted - simply because its easier to "achieve" than getting promoted. 

Are we likely to be as strong next season, or the season after that..? I'd say unlikely, as our best talent will have gone. 

I really think we need to start believing in what we've got here this season & be making a serious play on challenging, NOW.

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

Season 23/24 or 24/25 promotion. If not then I agree to hard to predict. I still think that if we do not get promoted over the next two seasons then we will settle in this league for some time. Relegation I do not think will be a discussion point.

Depends on the post-Nigel future. Is it a Dean Holden type or a Graham Potter type appointment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, City oz said:

So SOF are  you are saying you are not confident in the manager at this present time managing our club which currently sits at 7th in the Championship or that  Mr Lansdown should stick to commiting more to Bristol Sport in general and concentrate more on the Bears and spill the beans that our current manager currently engaged at our great club is the wrong bloke.

The post by Dolman was a question, promotion or relegation, are you saying we do not have a manager at this present time that can bring promotion and that he is more likely a manager that will bring relegation? 

Have you a loss of interest maybe ??

The chances are that it's very likely we shall still be a championship club whenever Nigel hangs it up... admittedly likely to be in far better shape than when he arrived...

History says Mr Lansdown selecting the right man to fill Nigel's boots could be,,shall we say,,'interesting'.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

Option 3. Premier League 2. Two leagues of 19 teams, no parachute payments. 3 up 3 down between the two leagues and 1 up 1 down between PL2 and L1.

The way money is taking over the game it is almost impossible to go up but equally difficult to go down, unless an owner takes his/her eye off the ball and the club becomes a basket case.

On 25/09/2022 at 09:21, City oz said:

'realistically" accurate and true to life and most probable. The reality is that we are currently playing great football that is now positive and great to watch. We are now getting respect as a solid club in the championship with potential and capable of success. 

Agree, very much enjoying watching us at the moment and been lucky to get to 3 games so far

• Like 1