IGNORED

Next Time....

Dolman_Stand

Next Time....  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

As its International week just to gauge everyone's positivity do you think Next time we leave the Championship it will be up or down?

I think it's actually an interesting question. We're in a good position right now, but not really so good that we can seriously expect promotion this season. Our overall situation is fragile as well. FFP, young talent leaving, older stalwarts fading and retiring, possible ownership changes, or the manager or coaches leaving. All very real threats that would affect our prospects of promotion. It's more likely imo that one or two of those things does happen rather than none happens.

There is also our historical tendancy to be a 2nd/3rd level club rather than a 1st/2nd level. Our general tendancy to finish lower in this division than higher.

Relegation is also easier than promotion.

I think realistically in the long term relegation is more likely than promotion.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

Good question. I expect most people’s answers will be a bit more than a straight promotion or relegation. For instance, I voted relegation. I’m not expecting that to be any time soon as I think we have a few exciting years ahead of us. I just think that to get to the promised land is out of our reach now due to parachute payments and how that skews the playing field in favour of those with them. See Preston’s statement this week, which could have been written for us as well. The only way we could go up is to go for broke and bust FFP. We are never going to do that (and I think that’s a good thing). I really hope I’m wrong though and we do make it by doing things the right way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it's actually an interesting question. We're in a good position right now, but not really so good that we can seriously expect promotion this season. Our overall situation is fragile as well. FFP, young talent leaving, older stalwarts fading and retiring, possible ownership changes, or the manager or coaches leaving. All very real threats that would affect our prospects of promotion. It's more likely imo that one or two of those things does happen rather than none happens.

There is also our historical tendancy to be a 2nd/3rd level club rather than a 1st/2nd level. Our general tendancy to finish lower in this division than higher.

I think realistically in the long term relegation is more likely than promotion.

Not sure this is different from any other club in the championship!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Good question. I expect most people’s answers will be a bit more than a straight promotion or relegation. For instance, I voted relegation. I’m not expecting that to be any time soon as I think we have a few exciting years ahead of us. I just think that to get to the promised land is out of our reach now due to parachute payments and how that skews the playing field in favour of those with them. See Preston’s statement this week, which could have been written for us as well. The only way we could go up is to go for broke and bust FFP. We are never going to do that (and I think that’s a good thing). I really hope I’m wrong though and we do make it by doing things the right way.

There's one other way we go up. We plan well, and get lucky. It's unlikely though, so yeh I went relegation as well.

1 minute ago, extonsred said:

Not sure this is different from any other club in the championship!

*Any other non-parachute payment club.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m assuming from that you think the answer is obvious…?

Or are you just trolling?

Not at all - I’m just stating my opinion. This is a forum after all…………:cool2:

What’s the point of posting such a question with only two possible option? 

If other posters disagree with my view then say so.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is very much a ' fragile' situation as you suggest.

Having seasoned pros that are still top of their game, mixed with young talent is a lottery.

Getting that symmetry to come together in one season is impossible imo.

How I see it...if we keep everyone from this squad for another season, it could well come together. Developed young talent and still older pros that could add something.

If we sell...I can't help feel it's two steps forward and another back. It's an ongoing conundrum for a team like ourselves.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It is very much a ' fragile' situation as you suggest.

Having seasoned pros that are still top of their game, mixed with young talent is a lottery.

Getting that symmetry to come together in one season is impossible imo.

How I see it...if we keep everyone from this squad for another season, it could well come together. Developed young talent and still older pros that could add something.

If we sell...I can't help feel it's two steps forward and another back. It's an ongoing conundrum for a team like ourselves.

Precisely, and when it's all taken to pieces and sold or retired or injured until it's just a memory...then it's another 3 years to assemble an echo of this team.

I've got everything crossed that we get some luck, some ******* penalties, some opponents decimated by injury or their own sales, anything to give us the fair wind we need to first nick 6th, and then to go on to glory at Wembley in May. Is any of that likely? No. Possible? Yes.

Our saving grace is that PNE, QPR, Luton, Millwall, Swansea, and those other middling sides are in the boat with us 

But, to OP's question: relegation - not this season, probably not next season - is in my opinion the more likely final destination.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No option of ‘for discussion’. 

It's a forum. The ability to discuss is implied and space is provided below the byline. The adults are already doing it.

• Like 4

Only once since 1911 have City followed a promotion from the third tier league with an "up to the Top". 

So, much as I would like to dream that I will see a repetition of 1976, sadly the odds are that we will see another drop down sooner or later to add to the "seven r's" I've already witnessed.

I desperately hope that I'm talking rubbish very soon as I may not be here for mutch longer.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

As its International week just to gauge everyone's positivity do you think Next time we leave the Championship it will be up or down?

It has to be promotion. Why would even any one on here contemplate relegation. Those of us that were around in 76 and at Arsenal where the mighty cheese scored for us in front of over 40,000 will never forget that afternoon. Promotion may be not this season but the way we are building the following season 23/24 has the potential for a success. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

If you’re not a parachute payment club the one thing you need to go along with having a decent team is luck.

When thing’s are going bad you’re luck is usually down but when thing’s are going well the tight decision’s from the ref go you’re way, the shots that scrape the outside of the post go in off the inside and the injury list remains small.

Our play-off season was a good example of this, a decent team but so much went our way that season. 

If we can turn the luck tide, which we haven’t yet, we’ve got a chance…….of getting a penalty and then who knows what will follow!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Mr Lansdown has at best a checkered record as regards managerial appointments - that's reason enough.

So SOF are  you are saying you are not confident in the manager at this present time managing our club which currently sits at 7th in the Championship or that  Mr Lansdown should stick to commiting more to Bristol Sport in general and concentrate more on the Bears and spill the beans that our current manager currently engaged at our great club is the wrong bloke.

The post by Dolman was a question, promotion or relegation, are you saying we do not have a manager at this present time that can bring promotion and that he is more likely a manager that will bring relegation? 

Have you a loss of interest maybe ??

2 hours ago, City oz said:

It has to be promotion. Why would even any one on here contemplate relegation. Those of us that were around in 76 and at Arsenal where the mighty cheese scored for us in front of over 40,000 will never forget that afternoon. Promotion may be not this season but the way we are building the following season 23/24 has the potential for a success. 

I voted relegation, doesn’t mean I want us to or think it will happen soon, but on law of averages through our history I’d say it’s more likely we go down at some point rather than up.