IGNORED

Dave Alred

The Bard

Just saw this pop up on the Post website.  

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-jonny-wilkinson-international-7611643

This is a really good sign.  I guess some of you were probably taught by him at Withywood School and others. He's an extraordinary coach with a unique CV.  He's clearly benefitting Bristol Bears this season and his experience and knowledge in whatever capacity will only benefit City too.  Always think that any successful coaching set up needs an older , wiser head involved.

I'm currently reading his book and it's extremely insightful.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From memory.

Didn't like football much.
Didn't like people appealing for free kicks , again football.
Could be a bit of a dick, but then I was about 14 so I probably was (not Withywood school) .

He nearly got me in trouble in class. I was too busy watching him train, kick conversions & chase , when apparently I should have been working.

From memory , went to the US as a kicking coach, or at least that was the rumour at school.

• Like 1

He was a teacher at Whitefield when I was there, he taught Economics and PE, teachers like him were one of the many recent I disliked school so much.

We had two PE teachers, Alan Evans, who was a great bloke who showed that it didn't matter how good you were at sport, but if you took part and gave it your best shot, it could be fun and have a very positive impact on your life, Alred was only interested in the very best players and gave no time to those who weren't in the 'elite'.

He also prevented a mate of mine, who was a very talented footballer having contact with Manchester City, back then you needed parents and school's permission to take part in any trials and as my mate had no interest in rugby and refused to take part in after school training n it, he denied him the permission. Horrible ***.

That said, he's probably the kind of horrible git who is good at what he does .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

He was a teacher at Whitefield when I was there, he taught Economics and PE, teachers like him were one of the many recent I disliked school so much.

We had two PE teachers, Alan Evans, who was a great bloke who showed that it didn't matter how good you were at sport, but if you took part and gave it your best shot, it could be fun and have a very positive impact on your life, Alred was only interested in the very best players and gave no time to those who weren't in the 'elite'.

He also prevented a mate of mine, who was a very talented footballer having contact with Manchester City, back then you needed parents and school's permission to take part in any trials and as my mate had no interest in rugby and refused to take part in after school training n it, he denied him the permission. Horrible ***.

Were you at Whitefield  school with any of the Knibbs?

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I never knew he actually took lessons apart from games. 
We only had him when someone was out and he filled in. Seemed to resent being there and resent us too. Managed not to have much to do with him.

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I never knew he actually took lessons apart from games. 
We only had him when someone was out and he filled in. Seemed to resent being there and resent us too. Managed not to have much to do with him.

In economics he was pretty clear about his political beliefs (Which were very unfashionable back then) He may be very good for you btw, but in a world where-increasingly- results are all that matter, I will still take a Mr Evans over a Mr Alred all day long.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes, Ralph was a year above me ( and obviously very good at rugby!)

Whitefield always had decent rugby players. Around that time, maybe a little later, John Davies joined the PE staff at the school. He was a coach at Bath rugby when they were pretty much the top club team in the Northern hemisphere. Graham Withey ex Coventry City, Rovers and a short spell at City was also a student at Whitefield in the late 70s.

If he taught Whitefield Rugby mid 70s then he's an extraordinary coach as they were the best of the best bar none. Only side that used to regularly beat my school team. That's not quite true, it wasn't beat so much as thrashed, wholly thrashed. I played alongside quite a few of those lads for Bristol Schools & Colts. Top kiddies and even better athletes who, like me,  were lost to egg-chasing given they didn't 'fit the profile' in those days.

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

If he taught Whitefield Rugby mid 70s then he's an extraordinary coach as they were the best of the best bar none. Only side that used to regularly beat my school team. That's not quite true, it wasn't beat so much as thrashed, wholly thrashed. I played alongside quite a few of those lads for Bristol Schools & Colts. Top kiddies and even better athletes who, like me,  were lost to egg-chasing given they didn't 'fit the profile' in those days.

Yes, I can't ever remember us losing  a game, not that I ever got into the side in the the upper school (Whitefield was split  into 3 lower schools back then, with all the 4th and 5th years on one site, which was the upper school) I should point out that Mr Evans was heavily involved in the coaching, probably more so than Alred.

Alred is certainly dedicated though, he could be seen pretty much every break time just kicking a rugby ball over the posts again and again. I think I'm right in saying he had just come back from the states where he was a kicker for a pro American football side, which also earned him an RFU ban for being professional.

Edited by Miah Dennehy

9 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

In economics he was pretty clear about his political beliefs (Which were very unfashionable back then) He may be very good for you btw, but in a world where-increasingly- results are all that matter, I will still take a Mr Evans over a Mr Alred all day long.

I goes to show, but I'm not sure what. I didn't like Alred, not that he took us often, but remember him. I liked the other PE teacher, enjoyed games under him. Never played for the team , never got further than the House team, but I remember getting on with him OK. But never remembered his name.