IGNORED

FREE Panini sticker album

43 minutes ago, tin said:

There’s no way in hell it costs that much. They plucked that figure out of thin air IMO.

When you think you now have to pay £1 for 5 stickers even if you were the luckiest man  in the world and got them without any swaps it would cost over £100 as there's usually over 500 stickers to collect. I could easily believe that figure.

44 minutes ago, tin said:

There’s no way in hell it costs that much. They plucked that figure out of thin air IMO.

If you’re unbelievably lucky and don’t buy any duplicates it will cost less. However, the chances of this happening are extremely small, so most people will end up with a lot of duplicate stickers, hence the estimated cost of £870 to get a full set. 

• Like 1

after a few years,i gave up on this,was cheaper to buy individual stickers/cards on ebay at £1 -£5 each. used a couple of swap sites,international ones were better,people in different countries had different rare cards, also swapped some of the albums, different editions with same players/badges etc

Edited by redsquirrel

52 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you’re unbelievably lucky and don’t buy any duplicates it will cost less. However, the chances of this happening are extremely small, so most people will end up with a lot of duplicate stickers, hence the estimated cost of £870 to get a full set. 

Swaps are part and parcel of doing it. We’re doing it as a family, have spent about £90 and need less than 150 stickers to complete. That’s not luck either; that’s just buying packs and doing swaps. As I said, they’ve plucked that £870 figure out of thin air IMO.

1 hour ago, tin said:

There's 670 stickers in the album. You can select and purchase 70 stickers at £1.95 per sticker 5 times officially directly from panini. You can obviously get around that by using a different account etc. 

So 670 at £1.95 a sticker plus p&p.

You've also got to be aware that there is a massive market for fake panini stickers and full albums.

Edited by spudski

I don't know if true but I was once told not to put the stickers in the album as in years to come it would be worth more money.

My first one was Mexico 86, I had hundreds of stickers and was waiting for some obscure defender from Paraguay. Shame my ex-wife threw it in the bin lols.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

There's 670 stickers in the album. You can select and purchase 70 stickers at £1.95 per sticker 5 times officially directly from panini. You can obviously get around that by using a different account etc. 

So 670 at £1.95 a sticker plus p&p.

One packet costs 90p and contains five stickers, that works out at 18p a sticker and means it’s possible to complete the album for around £120. Even accounting for the inevitable swaps, that’s nowhere near the figure being reported. 

4 minutes ago, tin said:

One packet costs 90p and contains five stickers, that works out at 18p a sticker and means it’s possible to complete the album for around £120. Even accounting for the inevitable swaps, that’s nowhere near the figure being reported. 

Some mathematician has worked out the odds of completing the album by just buying packets. This year's album works out at over £800.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-much-will-this-years-panini-world-cup-sticker-album-cost-to-complete-12685902

1 hour ago, tin said:

Swaps are part and parcel of doing it. We’re doing it as a family, have spent about £90 and need less than 150 stickers to complete. That’s not luck either; that’s just buying packs and doing swaps. As I said, they’ve plucked that £870 figure out of thin air IMO.

it’s not a figure in lucked out of thin air. There is a mathematical formula to calculate the probable  cost - see below. If people do swaps then the total cost will obviously be lower, but even then there is no guarantee how many packs you need to get the final sticker. 

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/1136091-world-cup-stickers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Why on earth do people do this? Applying logic, how much would you pay if they just published a magazine with all the squad pictures already in? About a fiver, maybe.

Why do people smoke, drink, do drugs?

It's something that creates a bit of a buzz, and excitement, getting that last sticker to complete a team! 

I last did one around 2012, maybe 14. Started with a free copy in a newspaper, then saw some booster packs in a supermarket for about £1. Got about 3/4 through then gave up. Must have had about 200 swaps.....

Bit of harmless fun, but like many things of late, it's become a bit expensive to carry on. I remember collecting when I was in school, and a pack was around the 25p mark. 

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but there's still a huge market for it.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

What would be your guesstimate out of interest? 

More or less? 

Way less. We’ve got about 130 or so to go and have spent £90 on it so far, but have done loads of swaps. I reckon it’ll cost us around £150 to complete at a guess. 

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

Why on earth do people do this? Applying logic, how much would you pay if they just published a magazine with all the squad pictures already in? About a fiver, maybe.

Far too sensible for the forum.