IGNORED

VAR in the Championship

PFree

I think it was handball.

Seems to me that the ball was outside of the box when the keeper handled it.

I can't blame the officials for not giving it as they would have to have been directly in line with it. as a few on here were.

Keeper got the benefit of the doubt imo.

Their second was clearly offside and the officials weren't up with play to spot it - and they missed another clear offside just before that which nearly led to a goal.

Standard officiating these days.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I do not the Premier league officials limited, the FA, and the intenational body IFAB do.

Well done to you if you've managed to get them to open up to you.

My first-hand experience is that the authorities seem closed to external scrutiny and feedback in relation to match officials and will defend the indefensible - even going so far as to defy the laws of geometry.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He may have been outside, but the ball deemed to be inside = NOT handball 

The whole of the ball has to be outside the outer edge of the white line.  A crude pic below:CBF4A705-8012-414A-8D55-2EE684E22BFE.jpeg.5e29f9a618e30b06a76cc9e118ac07b2.jpeg

As you can see the ball (whether on the grass or in the air) is overhanging a tinsy-wincy bit of the line.  Therefore the ball is deemed inside the area.  If it was a few mm to the left it would be outside the area.  But in my pic it’s not.  Dieng can touch the ball without his gloves being inside the area…and it not be handball, it is the position of the ball that determines inside or outside, not the keeper’s gloves.

From the images and video I’ve seen it looks like the ball meets the criteria to be classed as inside the area, even though Dieng’s gloves might be outside when they make contact.

Hope that makes sense.

Its an unusual scenario, normally it’s the keeper sliding out of the box, rather than into it.

If we just imagine that the picture is exactly what happened Saturday, then I see why so many City fans are adamant it was handball…but if this was what happened, then they are wrong! ?

Thanks Dave.  I get where you're coming from.  As always it's the application of the law that's inconsistent (see previous suggestions regarding fouls on the edge of the box).  One thing most of us could probably agree though, is that if that was Bentley and not Dieng on Saturday then Max would be preparing for a match tomorrow! 

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Well done to you if you've managed to get them to open up to you.

My first-hand experience is that the authorities seem closed to external scrutiny and feedback in relation to match officials and will defend the indefensible - even going so far as to defy the laws of geometry.

The FA run open forums for coaches, Managers and clubs. Primarily for rule changes. They are quite open. 

Whats the point of external feedback? If referees fall below standards they are demoted.

35 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The FA run open forums for coaches, Managers and clubs. Primarily for rule changes. They are quite open. 

Whats the point of external feedback? If referees fall below standards they are demoted.

External feedback can draw your attention to failings which you can be blind to.

Being dismissive about such feedback will just entrench those failings. The laws of geometry cannot be redefined by the EFL, the FA or PGMOL. 

14 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

External feedback can draw your attention to failings which you can be blind to.

Being dismissive about such feedback will just entrench those failings. The laws of geometry cannot be redefined by the EFL, the FA or PGMOL. 

Refs are constantly reviewed. Refs receive external feedback from clubs. It is a small part of evaluation and progression and otherwise. A referee does not progress or stay at the peak of the game by having failings. 

External feedback frequently is not of high quality. Feedback (?) frequently is not evidence based or constructive. 

In regards to laws of the game IFAB are responsible not the FA etc. 

• Hmmm 1