IGNORED

Richard Gould

Hamdon Mart

I assume that Gould will be instrumental in finding his own replacement which should be a good thing. He is bound to know someone not only capable, but that has a similar way of working and shares the vision he was working towards. 

I think he will look for someone who is perhaps shadowing or a right hand man to another CEO and is looking for a step up. Someone a little younger perhaps. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I assume that Gould will be instrumental in finding his own replacement which should be a good thing. He is bound to know someone not only capable, but that has a similar way of working and shares the vision he was working towards. 

I think he will look for someone who is perhaps shadowing or a right hand man to another CEO and is looking for a step up. Someone a little younger perhaps. 

One thing we can be sure of is that the process will be professional and carried out with integrity. I`m sure SL will go with Richard`s recommendation and we will end up with someone almost as good. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Shall we all get our brothers to suggest us on Twitter then? ?

No , but I’m happy to nominate / suggest you , for shall we say a healthy agent type commission 

Maybe a couple on here would be happy to highlight you too , (for a share of said agent commission fees of course)

A few strong recommendations and I reckon you’d be in with a good shout , especially if Jon has been designated to appoint 

I don’t know your full credentials for the role , but its not that important , shuffle a few papers around *  , look busy *  , pop in for a few hours here and there but you can quickly slide off,   murmuring ‘off to a meeting’ if you see anyone en route to the car park *

(Re Credentials , course you worked for Local Government for many years didn’t ya - so you definitely have the * skill set ??? ?)

Anyone asking about next summers window a quick tap of the nose and a ‘It’s all in hand’ should suffice until at least June

Around that time the brown stuff is likely to hit the fan , and Nige may be ‘looking for you’

A quick negotiated pay off from Steve 

and , by that time (Sod the City), you will be ready to join your ‘sponsors’ for a well earned holiday in the Caribbean ...

........ Bermuda anyone ?

* Ohhh a couple of things if it all pans out Graham.......

Remember to give Han Noah his passport back , out the safe , before January 

Take the opportunity each day to write to Mark Ashton in your role , on Club created notepaper , telling him he’s a ****

??

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Every now and again Scott Davidson's name pops up. It was before my time but he seems to be remembered positively. 

Why is this?

How did he compare to lansdown (and other owners today)? Appreciate the game was different then but would be interested to hear 

From memory he was much more charismatic than Steve Lansdown and many other owners. He used to do a lot of interviews on tv and seemed to enjoy engaging with the fans, I seem to remember communication with the fan base was pretty good when he was in charge, in my opinion.

• Like 6

All i want to say is that i think Richard has done a great job at the club. I understand it was a position in cricket that he could not say no to. Good luck with your new job Richard. I understand you will still be with us during the January window. So try and pull off a major deal for us. lastly Steve i hope you have learned a lesion and don't go back and employee someone like you know who. I think he still works at Ipswich.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

On 24/10/2022 at 18:33, The Humble Realist said:

Every now and again Scott Davidson's name pops up. It was before my time but he seems to be remembered positively. 

Why is this?

How did he compare to lansdown (and other owners today)? Appreciate the game was different then but would be interested to hear 

I seem to remember seeing his face on the front of the Evening Post quite a lot, he seemed to like talking to them. 

Think he was involved with Hengrove and Severnside and something about a takeover and us being in Europe within X amount of years and something about us going to China to play in front of 150k people. 

I think that was all around his time. 

Was he the chairman at the time when we appointed Benny? That appointment was an appointment that was before its time. Fans didn't like it back then. These days if you appointed someone like Benny you'd be considered a forward thinking club. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I seem to remember seeing his face on the front of the Evening Post quite a lot, he seemed to like talking to them. 

Think he was involved with Hengrove and Severnside and something about a takeover and us being in Europe within X amount of years and something about us going to China to play in front of 150k people. 

Was he the chairman at the time when we appointed Benny? That appointment was an appointment that was before its time. Fans didn't like it back then. These days if you appointed someone like Benny you'd be considered a forward thinking club. 

That's correct. Playing in Europe, Hengrove Park a new ground out there 40-50k...big plans! I dunno if I still have them but Gatepost outlined some of this vision iirc.

19 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

This is a very well-written piece and should be required reading for City supporters, especially those who closely follow this forum.

Gould’s departure represents a huge loss to the club. People of his calibre are rare and very hard to find. Anyone who has dismissed this news with a “so what?” shrug is completely missing the point.

We all saw what went on under Ashton: that’s been done to death here, but it is a stark lesson as to the scale of the damage that can be done by having the wrong incumbent in what is a vital role. The next appointment will be crucial to the club’s future and confidence in the owner’s ability to pick ‘em does not run high.

I for one will be watching developments with considerable apprehension.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

This is a very well-written piece and should be required reading for City supporters, especially those who closely follow this forum.

Gould’s departure represents a huge loss to the club. People of his calibre are rare and very hard to find. Anyone who has dismissed this news with a “so what?” shrug is completely missing the point.

We all saw what went on under Ashton: that’s been done to death here, but it is a stark lesson as to the scale of the damage that can be done by having the wrong incumbent in what is a vital role. The next appointment will be crucial to the club’s future and confidence in the owner’s ability to pick ‘em does not run high.

Me too CC.  Big boots to fill, might take a slightly different structure to meet the needs across the football club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2022 at 02:47, W-S-M Seagull said:

Scott was a fan as well as chairman. He even ran on the pitch at half time to remonstrate with a ref iirc. 

On 25/10/2022 at 07:11, MC RISK77 said:

From memory he was much more charismatic than Steve Lansdown and many other owners. He used to do a lot of interviews on tv and seemed to enjoy engaging with the fans, I seem to remember communication with the fan base was pretty good when he was in charge, in my opinion.

To be fair Alok Sharma is charismatic compared to SL..

19 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

100%, the few idiots who are saying he’s achieved nothing (& then “get Scudamore in”, just to show how dense they are) really don’t have the first clue over the severity of the financial situation that Train Guy left us in.

No one else in the division lost £38m & he & NP have been negotiating how we escape from that without getting relegated in the process ever since.

Think the criticism of us inability to defend set pieces better is completely justified but WTF these people think Gould can do to improve our situation other than what he’s doing is just baffling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%, the few idiots who are saying he’s achieved nothing (& then “get Scudamore in”, just to show how dense they are) really don’t have the first clue over the severity of the financial situation that Train Guy left us in.

No one else in the division lost £38m & he & NP have been negotiating how we escape from that without getting relegated in the process ever since.

Think the criticism of us inability to defend set pieces better is completely justified but WTF these people think Gould can do to improve our situation other than what he’s doing is just baffling.

Full credit to Gould and NP but are some clubs getting an easier ride with it than us? EFL etc.

Our total pre-tax losses in that 2 year combined average was some £48m, /2=£24m. This is pre FFP which takes us down to £19m.

Stoke however, theirs was £97m..their FFP allowances estimated at £9m per year...that gives them £48.5m as the average and takes is down to some £39.5m as an average.

This was despite and including the 2nd and 3rd year of Parachute Payments falling within those 2 years and £32m in profit (average of £16m) on stadium and training ground 'sale'.

We appear to be under huge restrictions whereas they have added 10 or not far off 10 PL loanees across the course of last season and this season to date.

A difference of course is that they appear to have put in for a total of £56m of Covid costs and add-backs in the two seasons...I have a real problem with the EFL just seemingly waving this through while we are under such restrictions. The £30m in Impairment in 2019-20 they have sought to exclude entirely from calculations thereby easing a burden moving forward.

Other clubs should be banging down the door of the EFL about this, the Stoke issue.

To a lesser extent, Nottingham Forest. £44m in pre-tax losses across the 2 Covid seasons but look at their activity in 2021-22. (£44m once you rightly exclude the £5m x 2 of loan write offs).

Fulham too, complicated by yoyoing and their Upper Limit and FFP allowances being higher (£72m and seen suggested £10-15m per year in the latter) but I think they lost £141.5m in these two seasons. £15m in promotion bonuses were mentioned. Basically pre deductions etc, that is an averaged pre tax loss of £70.75m...?

Did they sell anyone of note in their bounceback season? Not that I recall! Perhaps they scrambled some in by June 2022, Idk.

I get the impression that the EFL are not being particularly co-operative with the detail of our plans to achieve compliance.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Jon Lansdown - your time is now.....

After the debacle of Ashton, and seeing what a decent CEO can do in Gould - it would be 100% an SL thing to do to appoint his own son.

After you have all stopped laughing - the reality of this being possible will sink in.

A move that would sum up SL's time at City - appointing his completely unprepared son as CEO.

?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

After the debacle of Ashton, and seeing what a decent CEO can do in Gould - it would be 100% an SL thing to do to appoint his own son.

After you have all stopped laughing - the reality of this being possible will sink in.

A move that would sum up SL's time at City - appointing his completely unprepared son as CEO.

?

Indeed. As much as we’ve a lot to be thankful to SL for he is the king of nepotism and has made some horrendous appointments on the past; and then does the same again! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

?

I’d be shocked if this happened. Cannot see it at all 

33 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

?

Jon has found / manufactured his niche in Bristol Sport…that is Fever Pitch.

What should happen next is that he should be replaced as Chairman, but that will never happen whilst it’s Steve’s money that’s been invested at the club.  Jon isn’t a Chairman…only in name.

He certainly won’t become CEO.  I’ll eat my hat if that happens.

Normally he’d be one of the speakers at these types of event.  His absence shows how good a team we have, such a shame it’s being broken up.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

?

SL has had his good and bad points but he is better by far than JL, IMO of course.

Was it not the case that JL took a greater role in the early 2010s, and we went into freefall?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Jon has found / manufactured his niche in Bristol Sport…that is Fever Pitch.

What should happen next is that he should be replaced as Chairman, but that will never happen whilst it’s Steve’s money that’s been invested at the club.  Jon isn’t a Chairman…only in name.

He certainly won’t become CEO.  I’ll eat my hat if that happens.

Normally he’d be one of the speakers at these types of event.  His absence shows how good a team we have, such a shame it’s being broken up.

Agree, I'm fine with JL being on the board, but it should be made clear that he's a non-exec director there to represent the shareholder. His title of "Chairman" is confusing as his role is clearly not what most fans perceive the title to mean. I agree there's next to no chance of JL becoming the CEO.

Gould is going to be hard to replace, that's obvious and has been said many times. I just hope that whoever replaces him continues his calm and professional approach.

• Like 5