IGNORED

Lionesses v USA friendly at Wembley

shahanshahan

Back at Wembley for the first time since the Euros final. Friendly between European champions & world champions. We are representing City again.

Hopefully can get the flag hung up somewhere (just after this photo was taken, it poured it down. Flag was already put away)

KO 8pm, live on ITV

DSC_0157~2.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Teams for tonight. Ex-City players Mary Earps & Lauren Hemp start, while Ebony Salmon on the bench

And the USA team...

Leah Williamson is a big loss for this game though I maintain that Keira Walsh is the key player in our side.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Back at Wembley for the first time since the Euros final. Friendly between European champions & world champions. We are representing City again.

Hopefully can get the flag hung up somewhere (just after this photo was taken, it poured it down. Flag was already put away)

KO 8pm, live on ITV

DSC_0157~2.JPG

Flag up inside Wembley!

DSC_0172~2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Robin 5

Good half of football that. USA unlucky not to be level. Firstly the England penalty is one of those not always given as Bronze did duck a little. But the offside that denied Rodman's 'goal' was incredibly tight and not clear on what we've seen so far. I don't think Smith was offside but possibly a player wider out, Rapinhoe or Rodman. 

And more likely to get the crowd going too. Despite the VAR breaks, this is a good performance from a starting XI missing some talent. It's good that the bench has lots of quality as well. OK, it's a friendly but worth the efforts put in and the USA are still the benchmark to measure the team against.

Announced nearly 77,000 on hand - I bet the FA are rubbing their hands at that.

I really enjoyed it. Some great stuff being played and since I was watching it in the USA was having fun listening to the punditry. 

The disallowed goal was as marginal as it could possibly be and then some, but hey England don’t typically get a lot of luck so take it where you can. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, RedRock said:

More enjoyable than watching the rugby too!

I suspect the women's rugby World Cup match Saturday morning will be better entertainment than the men's game too

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

What happened to the other 13,000? I was told that this was the fastest ever Wembley sell-out? 

Just like all through the Euros games kept getting announced as sell outs but never were 

Something very odd happening especially as it was clear more seats could have been sold for this fixture 

Really enjoyed this match last night, England have become such a great team to watch.  At times Kirby is like a female Gazza.  USA perhaps a little unlucky but it sets the World Cup up nicely, England will have a ton of confidence now.  

The attendance was very strange though.  All the media saying it was a sell out but there were loads of empty seats.  Seems a shame as I’m sure people would have come if they could 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Really enjoyed this match last night, England have become such a great team to watch.  At times Kirby is like a female Gazza.  USA perhaps a little unlucky but it sets the World Cup up nicely, England will have a ton of confidence now.  

The attendance was very strange though.  All the media saying it was a sell out but there were loads of empty seats.  Seems a shame as I’m sure people would have come if they could 

Rail strikes? A lot of tickets would have gone to schools/sports clubs who were perhaps going to go by train?

13 hours ago, chinapig said:

Remarkably this game sold out faster than any previous England game, men or women.

As Suzanne Wrack wrote in The Guardian the other day the USA are still the standard to aspire to. A good performance in this game will be a good sign for the World Cup.

How is this true, it wasn’t a “sell out”? Less tickets available I’m guessing for some reason?

1 minute ago, TinMan's left peg said:

I wondered about that but the BBC said the strikes didn’t start until this morning.    Might still be a factor though 

The problem might have been getting back afterwards - it all starts to wind down the night before. Imagine the outcry if a load of kids from York or somewhere were stuck in London late on a Friday night - I wouldn`t want to be the teacher in charge of them!

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

The problem might have been getting back afterwards - it all starts to wind down the night before. Imagine the outcry if a load of kids from York or somewhere were stuck in London late on a Friday night - I wouldn`t want to be the teacher in charge of them!

To be fair, Wembley is hell to get out of with that sort of crowd. Could easily take you an hour to get to the tube, many would miss last trains home.

Trains in this direction have been shit all week too, not necessarily strikes but cancellations and delays 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 22A said:

I watched the team frequently passing the ball between two or three players in their own penalty area and would be horrified if City tried that tactic.

I assumed that knowing the USA are famed for their pressing that they decided to draw them in and then exploit the space behind the press. 

It worked far more often than not too, and once they get the ball to Walsh it's like watching Iniesta in his prime. I think she is the one they need to keep fit for the World Cup.