IGNORED

FBC POD reaches 100K downloads ....

headhunter

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, we were crap yesterday.

Ian starts off in arrogant mood, like he owns the pod.  The points he made were actually fine in his opening, why give it the “if anyone disagrees they can contact me”.  Dud he forget he’s on a podcast mate, why not wait to see what debate is sparked on the media channel you’re on?  Lordy, Lordy!!!

Mark over-reaction in his opening too…how many players does he think we have, and although it’s disappointing to see so many play badly “hope it’s the last time they pull on a City shirt” is a shit fan’s comment imho.  As you say Dave - severe comment - wished you’d followed up with asking him who else.

@Curr Avon can you name those players, you said it was more than Massengo?

So the pod started well for me then ???

Klose - maybe he wasn’t fit enough to start, just like Antoine wasn’t either this season.  What Klose did last season was come into the club with a level of fitness (having been at Basel training), not yesterday when he’s returning from injury.  That’s a big difference.  Surely there has to be a bit more thought than “if he’s fit to be on the bench, he’s fit to start”.  There’s more than one way to bring a player into the fold, especially after injury.

Possesion - when is anyone gonna realise there is often zilch correlation of possession to performance / result.

Unacceptable - agree.  First time this season - agree, so why not treat it as a one-off rather than the shitstorm  rhetoric that followed.

Dasilva - his corners v Cov were right on the money, open-play a different kettle of fish.  But I can see why he  was put on set-pieces?

Every now and again, it would help if someone just took a few seconds to think of the other side of the coin.  As host you can play Devil’s advocate too.

”I’ve never seen a zone score a goal” - what nonsense is that?  It’s a defensive corner set-up.  It isn’t meant to score from a 100 yards from the opponents goal.

Loans - c’mon start quoting his current stance.  He’s told you he’s up for loans.  Whether the finances are…more on that in a second.

Relegated teams - Burnley won yesterday.  Agree that it’s a tight division with no standout teams, but if that’s the case why try to prove a point when one of them loses?  It’s gonna happen regularly.

Compo for Gould?  Dave - you’re the headhunter, and with Ashton, you told us there would be no compo, he’d have an employment contract, you should’ve put Ian right at this point (you did later ?).  We won’t get £1m! 

Re signings - and look at which pond we are getting them from.  Very few of the 12 are signings we’d have made in the spend thrift days.  We are cutting our cloth.  You all know that, none of you are stupid, but it’s never mentioned.  Back to loans, can we afford them?  Hopefully accounts out very soon (Womens have been published).  That’ll give us a clue to how tight the finances are.  You know I think we were just over the £39m in my estimates but that I reckon the EFL have allowed us a bit more covid allowance.  If that’s the case, there is no money for anything, perms nor loans.  When will that sink in?  You can’t doctor the accounts.  Okay, you can if you’re Derby!!!

Ian (Dave you can pass on this if he’s not having a little look on here) - it’s not a choice of “if you can’t get a player better than what you have, go and get a loan”…they use up the same effing budget.  Honestly, if you can’t get your head around that, any recruitment discussion is void through ignorance.  LOANS AREN’T FREE and THEY AREN’T NECESSARILY CHEAPER THAN PERM SIGNINGS EITHER.  In fact some work out more expensive.  We don’t have a pot to piss in.

Birmingham - FFP cycle working differently since they got done by EFL.  Plus don’t forget they sold Che Adams one season, Jude Bellingham the next, that sorted out their immediate issues.  You cannot compare their financial state to ours….currently.  That’s why they can afford loans.  But they also got rid of a dozen players too, mainly OOC but a couple of nominal fees for a couple to go back to Spain.

There has to be a modicum of “fact checking” / challenge to wild statements thrown out.  The pod lacks credibility in places if you don’t do that.  I have no issues with the football match opinions expressed (many I agree with today).  You tar a whole season with one shit performance.  That’s unfair isn’t it?.

By all means express the worrying trend over the past few / four / five games.  I can buy that.  But you completely resort to “everything is shit and has been all season”.  That’s not been the case has it.

Moving onto Wednesday

WSM - sensible comment from Ian re why Andi might not be playing as well.

Naismith signing - is he filling the squad up?

Followed by “I’d rather see the kids play”…that’s what we are doing anyway aren’t we?  That contradicts everything said earlier on re recruitment.

Key players out - yep, let’s be a little less reactive until most of them are available then.  Klose and Williams can come back in this week.

So then we get re Nige “I didn’t tell them to do that”, so why is it wholly his fault.  Of course he takes some of the flack, rightly so.

The window / Scott - good scouts will be looking beyond recent performances in an assumed poor bottom three City team!  Isn’t he allowed a poor game (in a poor team performance).  For me (and Nige) he was one player trying to drive us on.  It won’t affect his value.  Appreciate it’s a pod to discuss scenarios.

“You couldn’t sell them based on current performances” - how many games constitute “current performances” (plural) or is it just take a one game view, eh?.  A really pathetic take (for Semenyo / Scott).  Have they played particularly badly, not to my recollection.

Wage budget has gone down - it will potentially go down even further in the summer.  Do I trust him.  You trust him to bring a budget down at the expense of being able to recruit good enough players.  It’s not a one%way street! You then use Lg2 George Tanner (£300k and a relative small wage) to prove that point.  Crikey, this isn’t Marley Watkins level recruitment (£900k and £12k per week allegedly), let’s have some sense of scale in the debate.

Matty James - has anyone at the club given James a timescale?  Not to my knowledge.  Happy to be corrected.

Williams - what do you do with him then?  If you think he’s that bad, who would buy him?  He’s been available every league game bar suspension, Nige hinted there will have to be a time to stop carefully managing him.

Aspiration of 8 points from 4 games - nice to get, absolutely, but that is just hope not a basis to judge the results against.  That’s your own fault for setting it.  The club didn’t set it.

then it becomes…next week’s expectation

4 points from 2 games - why do we “have to”, why is it a “must”.

Better that we get back to being competitive, playing better, results will come.  If results come instantly great, but we need to play better first.

Richard Gould - thanks, you did correct him ? did Mark Ashton have a contract, he just saw his agreed notice out didn’t he?  “We don’t know”….correct.  So don’t make stuff up initially and state it as fact Ian!  My view (my guesswork) was that SL realised (eventually) MA had done the dirty on him and put him on gardening leave, calling him out for the odd public appearance.  Bit like Brezhnev who was allegedly dead for a year or so before they finally pronounced him dead!  They used to wheel him out, hands moved by someone else, like Spitting Image!

Recruitment Team - don’t disagree, the jury is out, has been over a long period of time.  But we also need to be mindful of the pond Nige has fished in versus Johnson.  If all those players do leave we should be in a financial position to recruit better.  Whether we can execute remains to be seen.  Agree (this summer) we should be able to compete to recruit with the likes of the teams you mentioned.  Naismith is an example of how we could recruit better, even in free transfers.

Mark Ashton was a good administrator / ops manager, shame he got ideas above his station.

Sorry if this come across critically….I did say there were bits I agreed with.

Dave - I know the challenge back will be - why don’t you come on.  I would love to but timing doesn’t suit.  Just think there’s too much “fake news” thrown in without thought, nor any challenge back to some statements.

“Fiercely Independent” is absolutely fine btw.

Balancing views doesn’t mean sucking up to the club either!!!  Sometimes it’s worth trying to put yourself in the decision makers shoes and trying to see the rationale.

Dave, really appreciate your forensic critique of the episode. The content represents our views and we make no claims to justify accuracy. Recording just an hour after the final whistle probably doesn't see us take a more reflective view like for home or any evening games when we do it the day after.

You say yourself Dave that City were "crap". Your tolerance levels are higher than most and I suggest if you haven't done already that you listen to the post Norwich episode where we were philosophical in defeat and in no way knee jerk at our unbeaten run coming to an end.

One statement that I will stand by is that over the past 4 years we've have seen far too many abject performances like that at Birmingham on Saturday. Its not losing, its the way we lose. I'd like someone to give me a few examples such that even in victory we could say our opponents were abject for an entire 90 minutes.

Our style is more Sun than Daily Telegraph and in Ian we have someone who is particularly pugnacious in style which certainly will rub some up the wrong way, like Piers Morgan.

I would like you to provide forum viewers a similar critique of an OSIB or 3 Peaps podcast after a game like Saturday's not a thrilling win liked we seemed capable of on a consistent basis a little over a month ago.

Based on followings on Twitter we [788] are a long way behind OSIB [6.3K] & 3Peaps [2.3k]. It would be interesting to know numbers for their match review episodes [we're the only one to feature them on the hosting platform]. Our club is well served by podcasts and using those Twitter numbers as a guide then, based on our audience numbers,  collectively over half the season ticket base is listening to at least one!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

One statement that I will stand by is that over the past 4 years we've have seen far too many abject performances like that at Birmingham on Saturday. Its not losing, its the way we lose. I'd like someone to give me a few examples such that even in victory we could say our opponents were abject for an entire 90 minutes.

Last home game of last season, a 5-0 win over Hull.

Cardiff were truly awful at our place last season too, it ended 3-2 but only because they scored with the last kick of the game.

Boro away when we won 3-1 with Pearson in the stand.

Huddersfield a 5-2 win in 19/20 & Luton, a 3-0 win a month later.

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Dave, really appreciate your forensic critique of the episode. The content represents our views and we make no claims to justify accuracy. Recording just an hour after the final whistle probably doesn't see us take a more reflective view like for home or any evening games when we do it the day after.

You say yourself Dave that City were "crap". Your tolerance levels are higher than most and I suggest if you haven't done already that you listen to the post Norwich episode where we were philosophical in defeat and in no way knee jerk at our unbeaten run coming to an end.

Our style is more Sun than Daily Telegraph and in Ian we have someone who is particularly pugnacious in style which certainly will rub some up the wrong way, like Piers Morgan.

I would like you to provide forum viewers a similar critique of an OSIB or 3 Peaps podcast after a game like Saturday's not a thrilling win liked we seemed capable of on a consistent basis a little over a month ago.

Based on followings on Twitter we [788] are a long way behind OSIB [6.3K] & 3Peaps [2.3k]. It would be interesting to know numbers for their match review episodes [we're the only one to feature them on the hosting platform]. Our club is well served by podcasts and using those Twitter numbers as a guide then, based on our audience numbers,  collectively over half the season ticket base is listening to at least one!

Thanks for the reply.

As I said my main gripe is not the opinion of Saturday’s 90 mins, which we all agree was crap, but how that then turns into a full blown “everything is shit” and “it’s been shit all season” type rhetoric that culminates with “I’d have sacked Nige a year ago” or “I don’t trust him to recruit” comments.

Thats where balance / perspective needs to come in.  It seems balance is only used when we are winning / playing better, then it’s “let’s not get carried away”, “let’s wait”.  

I don’t have the same affinity with the other pods to critique in the same way.  I’ll try to make some time to join in on a future pod when I can.  When you recording post-Preston?

I did listen to Norwich! ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

8 goal involvements in 12 games and there’s a call for Wells to drop out.

**** me. 

I can't recall anyone of us saying for Wells to "drop out" other than in the context of it allowing the offensive part of our game to revert to the proven W-S-M of last season.

Weimann is a shadow of the player he was last campaign and his reverted to his career norm of being good in patches. On current form he's the one to be left out in my opinion to put an extra pair of legs in midfield.

I can't recall anyone of us saying for Wells to "drop out" other than in the context of it allowing the offensive part of our game to revert to the proven W-S-M of last season.

Weimann is a shadow of the player he was last campaign and his reverted to his career norm of being good in patches. On current form he's the one to be left out in my opinion to put an extra pair of legs in midfield.

Circa 29 minutes. Revert back to WSM and rest Nakhi etc. Resting Nakhi would mean he’s not in the side, right?

Around the time Ian suggested playing the youngsters but then stated they aren’t ready. Covering all bases as usual so he’ll be right one way or another. 

To add - I do chuckle re the call for Martin to return (as part of WSM) as I’m sure he was weekly scapegoated on your pod for nigh on 2 years. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Circa 29 minutes. Revert back to WSM and rest Nakhi etc. Resting Nakhi would mean he’s not in the side, right?

Around the time Ian suggested playing the youngsters but then stated they aren’t ready. Covering all bases as usual so he’ll be right one way or another. 

What youngsters do you think he means?

Scott (19) started, Conway (20) started, Massengo (21) started, Kadji (19) got his league debut, Tanner & Semenyo (both 22) got on as subs, too.

Sykes & Vyner are 25, Atkinson is 24, not exactly a team of veterans, is it?

Reckon we’re back to Josh Owers again?

18 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

To add - I do chuckle re the call for Martin to return (as part of WSM) as I’m sure he was weekly scapegoated on your pod for nigh on 2 years. 

It was preceded by Naismith’s signing being described as a “squad filler”. ??‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

Some truly shocking responses in this thread. I don't know the individual in question but in this day and age it is not acceptable to poke fun at someone simply because they are Gay. What's that got to do with the football 

Is that a whoosh post?  (If it’s not then posters are referring to his surname)

51 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

Some truly shocking responses in this thread. I don't know the individual in question but in this day and age it is not acceptable to poke fun at someone simply because they are Gay. What's that got to do with the football 

alright snowflake?

11 hours ago, Shuffle said:

It’s clear that this podcast divides opinion but if it’s not your bag then just ignore it…..everyone is entitled to opinions and everyone has a choice.

Yes, I agree but it's interesting isn't it that they consider their comments to be soooo important that other's should hear them!

I will never ever listen to this, after all, it's bad enough listening to Ian bloody Gay's negativity on the way home on radio Bristol!! Seems, once again, he feels his opinion MUST be heard every week!

Ian Gay, the best manager BCFC never had.....

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What youngsters do you think he means?

Scott (19) started, Conway (20) started, Massengo (21) started, Kadji (19) got his league debut, Tanner & Semenyo (both 22) got on as subs, too.

Sykes & Vyner are 25, Atkinson is 24, not exactly a team of veterans, is it?

Reckon we’re back to Josh Owers again?

I think they also name checked Jo Low. However I am sure I heard Nige say in an interview 3/4 weeks ago that Low was not nearly ready enough for Championship football. (not his exact words he was a bit more diplomatic in his answer).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shuffle said:

It’s clear that this podcast divides opinion but if it’s not your bag then just ignore it…..everyone is entitled to opinions and everyone has a choice.

I dont agree with alot of what they say and often chuckle at how idiotic some of it is (Starting Martin again/Starting the kids instead of buying loaning players etc etc) but its an entertaining hour because of it. Would be boring if you agreed with everything they said.

I did laugh about him getting done over by a remote desktop scam though ?

Edited by BasSavage88
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I think they also name checked Jo Low. However I am sure I heard Nige say in an interview 3/4 weeks ago that Low was not nearly ready enough for Championship football. (not his exact words he was a bit more diplomatic in his answer).

Same comments with Raf Araoye…Nige made it clear that he was part of training squad over the summer rather than first team squad.

Of course Nige has played a few of the u21s, Towler, Idehen, S.Pearson, etc, but looking at the levels they are playing currently it was more out of necessity, or even a brave “test them out” in the hotbed of Champ football.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

I dont agree with alot of what they say and often chuckle at how idiotic some of it is (Starting Martin again/Starting the kids instead of buying loaning players etc etc) but its an entertaining hour because of it. Would be boring if you agreed with everything they said.

I did laugh about him getting done over by a remote desktop scam though ?

I wouldn't be fussed if Martin never pulled on a City short again and, as I replied to someone else earlier in this thread, it was said in the context of referring to some who said on here perhaps Weimann is less effective because the very successful W-S-M of last season has been dismantled. On the second point, we are repeatedly reminded that we cannot afford loan players which leaves us trying more kids as the only remaining option.

Pearson seems wedded to a particular formation which I believe is replicated in the U21s but I believe he ought to try something different like this: [he won't of course]

Bentley

Tanner  Klose Atkinson Pring

Vyner Scott Williams Naismith [or JD]

Conway  Wells

Its a basic 4-4-2 ; Vyner has played central midfield ; Naismith has played wide left many times in his career and whilst injured JD can fill in although his crossing is crap!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't be fussed if Martin never pulled on a City short again and, as I replied to someone else earlier in this thread, it was said in the context of referring to some who said on here perhaps Weimann is less effective because the very successful W-S-M of last season has been dismantled. On the second point, we are repeatedly reminded that we cannot afford loan players which leaves us trying more kids as the only remaining option.

Pearson seems wedded to a particular formation which I believe is replicated in the U21s but I believe he ought to try something different like this: [he won't of course]

Bentley

Conway  Wells

Its a basic 4-4-2 ; Vyner has played central midfield ; Naismith has played wide left many times in his career and whilst injured JD can fill in although his crossing is crap!

I think you’ve lost all credibility when you’ve suggested Vyner at RM.

• Like 3

Bentley

Conway  Wells

Well if the podcast is in anyway reflective of your team selection then I may have to listen......haven't had a good laugh in a while...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Bentley

Conway  Wells

Should probably keep the shorts on.  

on.gif

2 hours ago, Henry said:

But he HAS played in that position and can last 90 minutes unlike King and his occasional lapses in concentration are less critical there and on this latter trait the same could be said of Naismith. Zak's committed too, unlike [reading between the lines]some are viewing HNM's recent performances.

Zak apart though are you seeing how that line up might work. Unlikely to leak goals like a sieve IMHO.

Weimann & Semenyo on for the 2nd half after Conway & Wells have put 90 minutes effort into 45.

18 minutes ago, headhunter said:

But he HAS played in that position and can last 90 minutes unlike King and his occasional lapses in concentration are less critical there and on this latter trait the same could be said of Naismith. Zak's committed too, unlike [reading between the lines]some are viewing HNM's recent performances.

Zak apart though are you seeing how that line up might work. Unlikely to leak goals like a sieve IMHO.

Weimann & Semenyo on for the 2nd half after Conway & Wells have put 90 minutes effort into 45.

I’m not sure he ever has?  Centre midfield a few times, yes, but not right midfield, Dave???

What about this idea that Scott, Semenyo, and Conway are worth a combined £30M? I think if we are willing to let either Scott or Semenyo go for ~10 plus add ons this January they will both be snapped up immediately. I don't see the point of selling Conway as we still don't know how good he is/could be and neither does anybody else.

Another thing I want to know -- does a sell on clause typically only apply to a percentage of the profit from a sale or is it applied to the full amount of the fee?

Edited by Champfan45

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Bentley

Conway  Wells

Another of those fictitious FBC statements. Dave, who within the club has repeatedly made this statement ?

As Naismaith is the our main playmaker how do you see play developing each time from the left side of the pitch, rather than at present from the middle ? I keep hearing on the pod that Naismaith should play on the left but no one has said how this would actually work. As he is so left footed surely it would make more sense, if you were to play him wide, to do it on the right where he can 'see' the whole pitch.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

What about this idea that Scott, Semenyo, and Conway are worth a combined £30M? I think if we are willing to let either Scott or Semenyo go for ~10 plus add ons this January they will both be snapped up immediately. I don't see the point of selling Conway as we still don't know how good he is/could be and neither does anybody else.

Another thing I want to know -- does a sell on clause typically only apply to a percentage of the profit from a sale or is it applied to the full amount of the fee?

I thought he said Scott, Semenyo and Massengo... wanted one of the others to ask how much of that £30m he expected to get for Massengo.

Edited by Sir Geoff
spelling

49 minutes ago, Champfan45 said:

Typically it’s a percentage of profit…but doesn’t have to be!

44 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Another of those fictitious FBC statements. Dave, who within the club has repeatedly made this statement ?

As Naismaith is the our main playmaker how do you see play developing each time from the left side of the pitch, rather than at present from the middle ? I keep hearing on the pod that Naismaith should play on the left but no one has said how this would actually work. As he is so left footed surely it would make more sense, if you were to play him wide, to do it on the right where he can 'see' the whole pitch.

I might be responsible for ambiguity.  I’ve stated that loans aren’t necessarily cheaper than perm signings if that was the angle you are coming from?  I’ve also stated that I think we are close to the FFP limits and that they might preclude us doing any business at the mo’.

If there was a cheap loan for a “better player” I think we’d do it….but I suspect any loan deals, even for the likes of someone like 19 year old Tim Iroegbunam might be too rich for us.

Was that what you meant?

There is definitely comments made on the pod that naively think that if you can’t afford a perm signing, then go and get a loan instead…insinuating that loans are cheap / cheaper options, they aren’t, certainly not if you’re after a PL player on loan.

Happy to field your next question!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sitrom said:

Should probably keep the shorts on.  

on.gif

Actually, the shorts make him less aerodynamic -- and thus indirectly contribute to his noted lack of pace. If we want to have success we must be willing to think outside the box. These are the types of questions that these timid reporters need to be asking of NP. Hold his feet to the fire!!

8 hours ago, Henry said:

Posed the question on Twitter [ @ForeverBristol1 ] and the general view is he has played in midfield. I may have listed him right side but looking at the team line up I suggested to much ridicule on here he or Williams could play in front of the back 4 in a 4-1-3-2. Just my opinion, that's all

37 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Posed the question on Twitter [ @ForeverBristol1 ] and the general view is he has played in midfield. I may have listed him right side but looking at the team line up I suggested to much ridicule on here he or Williams could play in front of the back 4 in a 4-1-3-2. Just my opinion, that's all

Yes, he’s had played CM. Not sure why you needed to ask Twitter. That isnt what you posted.

Pearson hasn’t played him there, since his early days here, even when desperate. It would suggest he doesn’t want to play him in midfield.