IGNORED

Mid table.

Superjack

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

That's where we will likely finish. And most would be happy with that this season.

We will have good patches. We will have bad patches.

We weren't promotion contenders when we were sat in third place, and we aren't going down just because we are sat in eighteenth.

Some people just need to calm the **** down.

I hope you are correct.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

That's where we will likely finish. And most would be happy with that this season.

We will have good patches. We will have bad patches.

We weren't promotion contenders when we were sat in third place, and we aren't going down just because we are sat in eighteenth.

Some people just need to calm the **** down.

Not for one moment did I think we were promotion contenders. But I can see a scenario (mainly injuries) where we can get sucked into relegation trouble.
I wish I had your certainty and I hope you are right. But it’s a season in which all 24 Championship clubs are competitive. Three are going to be very disappointed. And one of them might have 50 points. 

Also, I think a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth is inevitable after yesterday. It brought back horrible memories of last season. And the season before. People care and hated what they saw. Emotion - as well as the need for calm heads - is part of football supporting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Not for one moment did I think we were promotion contenders. But I can see a scenario (mainly injuries) where we can get sucked into relegation trouble.
I wish I had your certainty and I hope you are right. But it’s a season in which all 24 Championship clubs are competitive. Three are going to be very disappointed. And one of them might have 50 points. 

Also, I think a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth is inevitable after yesterday. It brought back horrible memories of last season. And the season before. People care and hated what they saw. Emotion - as well as the need for calm heads - is part of football supporting. 

No problem with people wailing and gnashing teeth at yesterday's performance. I was one of them.

But it was pretty much our only truly woeful performance so far this season (granted Coventry wasn't brilliant either). People doom-mongering for the season and starting threads about Chris Wilder is just ridiculous.

In a league where, as you say, all 24 teams are competitive, it ain't gonna go right every week.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Superjack said:

No problem with people wailing and gnashing teeth at yesterday's performance. I was one of them.

But it was pretty much our only truly woeful performance so far this season (granted Coventry wasn't brilliant either). People doom-mongering for the season and starting threads about Chris Wilder is just ridiculous.

In a league where, as you say, all 24 teams are competitive, it ain't gonna go right every week.

As I said, people react emotionally. It’ll calm down (well, possibly ?). A 3-0 defeat like that away to Birmingham on the back of four without a win is going to get some people’s beans jumping. 

Edited by firstdivision

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd say that upto including Norwich. We looked good. 

Since then, we've got progressively worse, with nothing done to remedy the slide. 

Ta for reply.  I agree our trend is downwards at the mo’ too.  The options to remedy are difficult as the players aren’t there are they?  When key players are out (regardless of what you or I think of James and Naismith) we don’t have enough players with the character to pull each other upwards.

Williams will come back in for Massengo, maybe Klose with 4 days extra will be fit to start at CB.  That immediately gives me encouragement.  I’d bring Pring and Tanner in too, be a bit more physical.  I’m happy if he goes WSM and we bang it when we need to, even diags from the WBs into Martin.

Need to grind it out on Wednesday, show the fans that Saturday was a blip.

• Like 3

Mid table? Before the season started I considered us bottom 6. Problem with bottom 6 it could be bottom 3. 
I think 50 points plus may be required to stay up this season as there is no Derby, Peterborough or Barnsley.
I don’t think any of the current bottom 4 will go down (possibly Huddersfield?) and it’s not obvious who will finish below us. Perhaps Rotherham, Wigan, Blackpool, Hull but there’s no one nailed on like last season. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta for reply.  I agree our trend is downwards at the mo’ too.  The options to remedy are difficult as the players aren’t there are they?  When key players are out (regardless of what you or I think of James and Naismith) we don’t have enough players with the character to pull each other upwards.

Williams will come back in for Massengo, maybe Klose with 4 days extra will be fit to start at CB.  That immediately gives me encouragement.  I’d bring Pring and Tanner in too, be a bit more physical.  I’m happy if he goes WSM and we bang it when we need to, even diags from the WBs into Martin.

Need to grind it out on Wednesday, show the fans that Saturday was a blip.

I think Wednesday’s selection will be very interesting.

Realistically we have 6 players that didn’t start at Birmingham who will think they deserve to after that.

Williams, who was suspended, plus Tanner, Pring, Klose, Martin & Semenyo.

Of the other two on the bench bar injury O’Leary isn’t replacing Bentley & Kadji is highly unlikely to start. I don’t expect either James or Naismith to be available.

How many of these 6 that do start will show just how hacked off Pearson is, my hunch is that he’ll make 5 changes, by far the most this season for a league game.

• Like 2

Next two games are critical. If we lose both, and our recent record against Preston and Milwall is lamentable, we'll likely be in the bottom 3 and once you are there it's difficult to get out. If we win both we'd probably be in the top 10. Fine margins.

I don't think anyone is in a position to say 'we'll be fine'. As other have said, it doesn't look like any team is a nailed on certainty for relegation this season and with a possible points deduction to come, we are currently in the s**t as much as any team.

• Like 1

Tanner and Pring could freshen it up a bit there, perhaps more as orthodox full backs if we go to a back 4...wonder if we should, for stability purposes.

Bentley

Tanner Klose/Vyner Atkinson Pring

Scott James/ Williams Sykes

Weimann Wells Semenyo

Dunno if Klose, Naismith, James will be back but I wonder...no Weimann and Semenyo would not be wingers, wideish strikers maybe or maybe a more central front 3.

Not saying that side is ideal, a range of compromises certainly. Probably still needs some work..although that said 4/5 clean sheets at home and 4 in 6 in total, just the 5 goals conceded so arguments for and against! It's away from home where we habe been leaking quite a few goals and chances for the most part.

Would there be any merit to moving Sykes to a central role? It has been a natural position for him prior to joining us...

All told, a few random thoughts. Home form generally not too bad...maybe a couple of personnel tweaks rather than a big overhaul?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Next two games are critical. If we lose both, and our recent record against Preston and Milwall is lamentable, we'll likely be in the bottom 3 and once you are there it's difficult to get out. If we win both we'd probably be in the top 10. Fine margins.

Preston have beaten us just once in our last 7 meetings..

Millwall have won 3, we have won 2 of our last 5 games..

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Preston have beaten us just once in our last 7 meetings..

Millwall have won 3, we have won 2 of our last 5 games..

Milwall is better than I remember but I believe we've beaten Preston once since 2014?

[EDIT] It's actually once since 2011. P18 W1 D8 L9

Gulp, I wish I hadn't looked that up!

Edited by fgrsimon

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

Milwall is better than I remember but I believe we've beaten Preston once since 2014?

[EDIT] It's actually once since 2011. P18 W1 D8 L9

Gulp, I wish I hadn't looked that up!

5 draws & a win each in the last 7, not great but almost certainly not how people remember it.

23 hours ago, tin said:

Well said. The bottom line is if we have a fully-fit squad and they’re on-song, we’re a match for anyone in this league. Beyond those 11-14 players there’s bugger all depth to compete, especially against physical, direct sides. 

And that is why we were never really promotion contenders despite the early promise.  (Though I was in Dreamland for while there myself).

Edited by Red Skin