IGNORED

Why do we play with wingbacks if we don’t have any

Better Red

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think there's any evidence of "regular fall outs"? Pearson makes clear that if he thinks a player isn't performing consistently, that player will lose his place and someone else will get his chance to cement a place. 

Players may disagree with his assessments sometimes, but I think Pearson is pretty fair. He doesn't strike me as the sort to have favourites. 

?

Bless.

• Confused 1

On 15/10/2022 at 23:39, Fuber said:

I'll bite.

Jay is probably my most disappointing player the last handful of games.

He's constantly targeted and does OK, but going forward I cannot remember the last time I saw him actually beat a man.

And his crossing and end product is farcical, never beats the first or second man, any shot from outside the box is a conversion, every time.

The only metric he beats Pring in is passing and ball control. But every other metric (pace, crossing), I'd rather have Cam.

Someone can feel free to correct me, as I may be spouting rubbish, but his end product is rubbish.

Isn't it something like 8 assists in four years?

I also think Jay flatters to deceive.

His close control and technical ability far out way his end product.

The likes of Tins purr about him. 

When you watch players daily in training, imo, it can be counter productive as well as productive. 

' You should see some of the things he does in training'...is a comment I've heard numerous times over the years. 

You should be judged by what you do regularly in a game...not what you are capable of in training. 

For me...Jay doesn't suit our current style of play. He's obviously very capable of getting into positions, but his crosses are appalling. Even Carey pointed this out in recent commentary.

And he's not the best at defending either. 

What he is good at, is link up play in the left middle of the park.

Imo, at this level, he's best suited as a left sided midfielder that links play, rather than ' wing back' where defending and crossing are necessary. Imo...both of those are his weakness. 

Gets into the right positions, is symbolic when defending and crosses aimlessly.

Would rather have Pring ATM.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Gets into the right positions, is symbolic when defending and crosses aimlessly.

This sums up my thoughts on both of them - Dasilva and Sykes. 

Both seem to be in good positions on a regular basis, but 99 times out of 100, they fail to deliver. 

In fairness to Sykes, vs Millwall he did actually manage to play 2 low crosses into the right place, both of which then got scuffed by the striker. But I think that’s 2 out of about 100 opportunities he’s had this season. 

Same goes for Dasilva. Rarely does he produce quality in the final 3rd, when in such good positions. 

Both are hugely flawed defensively and both deliver little quality in the final 3rd, so I’m failing to see what they are actually providing to the team. 

We saw Pring show clear intent with his first 2 touches on Saturday. And then his 3rd touch was a first time cross that resulted in the goal. The key here is “first time cross”. 
He’s the only one who’s delivered one of those all season. It’s like it’s a thing of the past! 

A high wing back system CAN work. But you need the right players. Dasilva & Sykes do not satisfy my criteria for this role. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Both seem to be in good positions on a regular basis, but 99 times out of 100, they fail to deliver. 

In fairness to Sykes, vs Millwall he did actually manage to play 2 low crosses into the right place, both of which then got scuffed by the striker. But I think that’s 2 out of about 100 opportunities he’s had this season. 

Same goes for Dasilva. Rarely does he produce quality in the final 3rd, when in such good positions. 

Both are hugely flawed defensively and both deliver little quality in the final 3rd, so I’m failing to see what they are actually providing to the team. 

We saw Pring show clear intent with his first 2 touches on Saturday. And then his 3rd touch was a first time cross that resulted in the goal. The key here is “first time cross”. 
He’s the only one who’s delivered one of those all season. It’s like it’s a thing of the past! 

A high wing back system CAN work. But you need the right players. Dasilva & Sykes do not satisfy my criteria for this role. 

1 assist in 28 appearances between them... Definitely two areas that need better quality, Wilson's injury is a big blow. I wonder if we may see Scott playing there again at some point? I'd rather he stayed at CM though...

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Underlining my exact same thoughts Harry. Glad it's not just me seeing it that way.