IGNORED

Liverpool v Man City

Robbored

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wonderful game of football - the best I’ve seen in ages. Two heavyweight teams knocking the shit out of each other all game and the referee Anthony Taylor was excellent, allowing the game to flow. He’s a top referee who red carded Klopp for berating the linesman for not flagging for a foul

It was a tremendous advertisement for the PL. A real thriller

Haaling hardly got a kick and it was Salah that scored a fantastic goal to win the game 1-0.

The gulf in class between the Championship and the PL really is vast.

If only either of them had a proper manager who had won promotion out of the Championship. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks.  And that’s why I don’t think a bloke in a studio should get to influence a ref who has made a judgement throughout the game about what he lets go and what he doesn’t.  I know they check all goals.  Did Taylor get called over to the monitor…because it seems that everytime they do, they reverse their decision,  the process is wrong.  The tech ought to be aiding not confusing.

Also worth adding, I’m pretty sure the goal came almost directly from the goal kick that should have been a corner after ederson saved Salah’s one on one.

The correct decision there and the City goal doesn’t play out the way it did 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m not sure it would, he touched it with two hands but it was never in full control, Haalands entitled to go for it

Chappers said on MOTD last night that they came out and said it would have been disallowed on both cases. I agree with you though.

2 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

The challenge on Alisson was never a foul. The keeper didn't have full control 

While presenting Match of the Day 2 on Sunday night, Chapman confirmed that Haaland's shirt pull wasn't the only problem identified in the build-up to Foden's goal. He said: "We were told as well that if it hadn't been disallowed for the shirt pull, it would have then been disallowed for Haaland's challenge on Alisson."

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Chappers said on MOTD last night that they came out and said it would have been disallowed on both cases. I agree with you though.

Ah didn’t know that, I still say if they’d got the corner decision right then we wouldn’t be talking about this.

I kinda wanted city to win, know too many Arsenal fans and they are insufferable at the best of times. Never known a set of fans to go on and on so much in self analysis with a sense of entitlement as well. At least United fans just accept they are shit now 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Also worth adding, I’m pretty sure the goal came almost directly from the goal kick that should have been a corner after ederson saved Salah’s one on one.

The correct decision there and the City goal doesn’t play out the way it did 

This has always been one of my biggest gripes with VAR. To me either everything should be done by VAR (instantly with better tech)  or nothing and just leave it all to the refs. 

There was the incident you mentioned. There was also a time when miller kicked the ball out for a throw but they said the ref or linesman wouldn't be able to tell if it had already gone for a corner, but if that were in the goal they use goal line technology. 

My personal view is go back to old school and just leave it to all to the officials 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

While presenting Match of the Day 2 on Sunday night, Chapman confirmed that Haaland's shirt pull wasn't the only problem identified in the build-up to Foden's goal. He said: "We were told as well that if it hadn't been disallowed for the shirt pull, it would have then been disallowed for Haaland's challenge on Alisson."

Sorry when I say never a foul I mean in my opinion and within the context of how the rest of the game was reffed. 

If you have a picky ref all game then probably yes but with what he was letting go it should have been a goal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

This has always been one of my biggest gripes with VAR. To me either everything should be done by VAR (instantly with better tech)  or nothing and just leave it all to the refs. 

There was the incident you mentioned. There was also a time when miller kicked the ball out for a throw but they said the ref or linesman wouldn't be able to tell if it had already gone for a corner, but if that were in the goal they use goal line technology. 

My personal view is go back to old school and just leave it to all to the officials 

Fans moaning about the referee/officials has always been part of watching live football but those complaints aren’t public knowledge. I’m sure it the same in every football match.

Referees have always been vulnerable to criticism via tv and the media which is in the public domain and why VaR was developed to ‘assist’ the referee and ton ensure that the right decisions are made and after various teething problems is now accepted as an integral part of the game at the higher levels - there have been times watching City at AG that VaR was available.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fans moaning about the referee/officials has always been part of watching live football but those complaints aren’t public knowledge. I’m sure it the same in every football match.

Referees have always been vulnerable to criticism via tv and the media which is in the public domain and why VaR was developed to ‘assist’ the referee and ton ensure that the right decisions are made and after various teething problems is now accepted as an integral part of the game at the higher levels - there have been times watching City at AG that VaR was available.

Who accepts it as an integral part of the game? From what I've seen and heard it just creates even more controversy. 

I don't believe we've ever had VAR at Ashton Gate? I think we once had an away game where VAR was used. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Who accepts it as an integral part of the game? From what I've seen and heard it just creates even more controversy. 

I don't believe we've ever had VAR at Ashton Gate? I think we once had an away game where VAR was used. 

There’s no VaR in the Championship - it’s PL clubs only. They’re the highest profile.

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What I didn't like was it was only a foul because it was a goal. No goal scored = no foul. 

Not much different to the instances where fouls are given outside the box but the same foul isn't given inside the box. 

I think the point is that it was a foul, and the ref got it wrong (regardless of whether the ball ended up in the back of the net).

However, the VAR can only advise the referee to review his decision if a goal is scored. The alternative is that VAR reviews all challenges and advises the referee to reconsider all potential mistakes, and I don’t think anyone wants that!

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

There’s no VaR in the Championship - it’s PL clubs only. They’re the highest profile.

Sheffield United away in the FA Cup during the Covid season maybe? (2020-21).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s not actually accepted if there’s no choice. We just have to put up with it. I would say most fans, players and managers would rather not have to accept it.

IMO, the game was better without it.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not even sure what your first line means

When has VAR been available at a City home game? Only time I can think it even being disputed was the EFL Cup semi final but it wasn't used for our game because we didn't have the tech. it was used in the other semi final.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

It’s not actually accepted if there’s no choice. We just have to put up with it. I would say most fans, players and managers would rather not have to accept it.

IMO, the game was better without it.

The PGMOL won’t agree with that statement. They’re very precious about any criticism aimed their referees, hence the fines dished out to any manager who slags one off.

• Confused 1

Just now, Robbored said:

The PGMOL won’t agree with that statement. They’re very precious about any criticism aimed their referees, hence the fines dished out to any manager who slags one off.

Mr. Blatter though periodically used to criticise poor refs or officiating, publicly at that.

Valid or unprofessional?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Blatter…………:facepalm:………jeez………did anyone take any notice of what that fraud ever said?

Bottom line was, a certain level of difference. He did not defend refs at all costs did he unlike PGMOL.

I know all the stuff he did, was alleged to have done and perceive him to have been less than competent ar running foorball, but he did not defend refs at all costs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Poor from Klopp. So much abuse at grass roots level and this sort of thing just normalises it. Yesterday I saw both managers have a go at a 16 year old ref at a game I was watching. Both managers around 45 years old shouting at a child. Fewer refs mean overall worse quality so when people moan about the standard of referees have a think about why they aren’t great.  The more referees that start at 16 and stick with it, the better the standard will be 

892016E0-B01D-43CD-A331-BA902F40D372.png

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

I think the point is that it was a foul, and the ref got it wrong (regardless of whether the ball ended up in the back of the net).

However, the VAR can only advise the referee to review his decision if a goal is scored. The alternative is that VAR reviews all challenges and advises the referee to reconsider all potential mistakes, and I don’t think anyone wants that!

But isn't VAR only supposed to get involved if there has been a clear and obvious error? Where was the clear and obvious error when the ref spotted it but waved play on? 

Even when slowed down, and looked at from various different angles people still can't decide if it was a foul or not. 

Slowing it down always makes things look worse that it actually was. 

• Like 2

On 17/10/2022 at 08:48, Robbored said:

there have been times watching City at AG that VaR was available.

On 17/10/2022 at 10:19, Robbored said:

Did it take you nearly 2 hours to work out we’ve never been in the Prem? 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2022 at 12:53, MarcusX said:

Not even sure what your first line means

When has VAR been available at a City home game? Only time I can think it even being disputed was the EFL Cup semi final but it wasn't used for our game because we didn't have the tech. it was used in the other semi final.

I don`t think it was used at the Etihad. IIRC if both matches couldn`t have it, neither could. I certainly don`t remember a VAR check for the pen Bobby scored and there surely would have been if it was being used. I think the only time it`s been used in a City game was Blades away in the cup.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don`t think it was used at the Etihad. IIRC if both matches couldn`t have it, neither could. I certainly don`t remember a VAR check for the pen Bobby scored and there surely would have been if it was being used. I think the only time it`s been used in a City game was Blades away in the cup.

Correct, it wasn't used in either leg but was used in the other semi final

• Thanks 1