IGNORED

Referee you ******* clown

BigAl&Toby

How many times have we heard that? How many times have we hurled that?

Let’s have a heated debate. About referees, linesmen, 4th officials et al.

At the Preston game we had the first half throw in debacle. Linesman didn’t know. Referee didn’t know. We all wait ages. Up goes the flag. Ridicule…..

Same one checks the nets for the second half and we shout out “hope you’re better this half”. He looks up, laughs and gives us a smile.

An official with a personality. 

Bit like The Milf. The only official I ever met who could run backwards and grin like a buffoon.

So let’s have them. Your musings about the men - and women - in black. Whether they’re from the hallowed turf at BS3 or the ruts of the Netham.

What else is there to do on a Sunday? Strictly? ? 

On one hand incredibly frustrating and from a playing perspective the quality seems to be getting worse

On the other hand, we’ve had a few of our games videoed this season and it’s amazing how different some things can look from a different angle and remembering that they’ve only seen it once in real time. Eg a red we got a couple of weeks ago looked a great tackle, on review he was nowhere near the ball and it could have been a leg breaker.

Theres no game without them, and it’s a difficult job to do but some seem to really lack consistency and control

21 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

HOW, can a referee book 2 players for something he or 2 linesmen never saw, what does he put into his report to the FA, 

Like I said on the other thread, the referee saw the scuffle as it was still going on when he got there.  He obviously didn't see what caused it, but two players grabbing, pushing and jostling each other is always going to be a card apiece.  Subsequently giving them a free kick was bizarre, though!

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 1

We had one Friday - I could write a book about this one but...  Free kick on the half way line, defending team player stood on the ball - ref tells him to move away, Free kick gets taken and, of course, it hits the defender as he's only 1 foot away and it falls to one of his team mates who's able to mount an attack with most of the, now defending team's players having moved forward for the free kick.  Ref waves play on, on the basis that he had told the player to move away but the kick was taken anyway and the attacking player knew what would happen so that was his own fault.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

We had one Friday - I could write a book about this one but...  Free kick on the half way line, defending team player stood on the ball - ref tells him to move away, Free kick gets taken and, of course, it hits the defender as he's only 1 foot away and it falls to one of his team mates who's able to mount an attack with most of the, now defending team's players having moved forward for the free kick.  Ref waves play on, on the basis that he had told the player to move away but the kick was taken anyway and the attacking player knew what would happen so that was his own fault.

I've seen that before, not actually sure what the rule is. As an attacker you can take a free kick with someone in the way if you want to. It's usually a yellow card if the defender blocks the kick, I'll always kick it and get the player booked if he's delibarately being a dick - but I have had occasions where what you said happened and the ref knew what we were trying to do and bsaically say it's your fault, play on.

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

Do we know that?

The ref obviously didn't, but not sure that was the case for both linesmen and the 4th official?

I looked straight over at the linesman on the dug out side and he was watching play. Totally oblivious to what was going on at the other end of the field as was the referee who only looked round after S82 had been calling out for about 20 seconds or so.

8 hours ago, Red-Al said:

HOW, can a referee book 2 players for something he or 2 linesmen never saw, what does he put into his report to the FA, 

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I looked straight over at the linesman on the dug out side and he was watching play. Totally oblivious to what was going on at the other end of the field as was the referee who only looked round after S82 had been calling out for about 20 seconds or so.

Perhaps one of them (or the fourth official) DID see something. Either from the outset, or enough of what followed.

I'm not saying that they did. I don't know. But I'm just suggesting that none of us know for sure either that they didn't. There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions going on - and maybe we should give the officials the benefit of any doubt for once (and I say that as someone who gets as frustrated with officials as anyone else!)

Come on. There must be some footballing maestros on here who can tell us a witty story from their non-league days….

@Davefevsyou must have a tale to tell.

I’ll give you one. There once was a junior referee in the Suburban League. ‘Twas a sunny Saturday afternoon. On a pitch down by Manor Farm.

There was a wayward shot on goal. Dasilva-esque. Appeared to be going wide, until the kids stood by the post tapped it back into play for the forward to run onto and smack it into the back of the net.

The ref was blinded by the sun and didn’t see the kids tap it back in. He awarded the goal.

Everyone went ballistic. Who was that “******* clown”? Hmmmmm. I wonder ?

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Roger Milford allegedly told a teammate of mine, don’t talk like a **** and play like one too!

Player: Ref what would you do if I thought you were ****

Ref: Well nothing I can’t do anything about what you are thinking

Player: I think you’re a ****

Football Gold!

• Haha 1