IGNORED

Villa sack Gerrard

Curr Avon

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No surprise there. Gerrard, like Rodgers were successful in Scotland but neither could cope when the consistent quality of the English Premier league.

Celtic won 8 out of the 9 trophies on offer during his tenure at Rangers.  Yes, we won the league, but that was mainly due to Celtic’s implosion during the Covid fan free season.

• Like 1

Just now, Robbored said:

No surprise there. Gerrard, like Rodgers were successful in Scotland but neither could cope when the consistent quality of the English Premier league.

I think you're doing Rodgers a disservice. Consecutive 5th place finishes, plus an FA Cup for an 'unfashionable' team has been a fantastic return. They've struggled this season due to minimal signings and the disruption caused by Fofana's move to Chelsea.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I think you're doing Rodgers a disservice. Consecutive 5th place finishes, plus an FA Cup for an 'unfashionable' team has been a fantastic return. They've struggled this season due to minimal signings and the disruption caused by Fofana's move to Chelsea.

Losing Schmeichel was a big blow as well I've thought, not convinced by Ward his replacement 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Losing Schmeichel was a big blow as well I've thought, not convinced by Ward his replacement 

Absolutely, it wasn't very nice, although it was Nice. And on another tangent, isn't Joe Bryan there? Oui, or non?

Edited by Curr Avon

7 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

That type of thing happens fairly regularly to PL clubs that are outside of the top 6 or 7;in the country. It’s no excuse .

• Confused 1

What a dam shame. Was doing a great job getting these self entitled, arrogant, living off past glories, billy big rollicks, bell-end fans back to reality, and back to the Championship. Let's hope the next manager finishes the job, wanchors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dare we dream of Aston Villa coming back down and having to answer some very difficult q's about their actions and methods of achieving compliance in the 3 year period to 2019??

I'm sure the EFL and all of the others in the League that year, including several who have been punished in recent times will not have forgotten. Strategic ambiguity by the EFL? Not as if they ever publicly declared them passing it. Mind you they don't as a rule.

Nor did they come out and declare that the two sides had unlike Leicester, QPR and Bournemouth reached a settlement, albeit this was under the old system.

I did read that the EFL were furious that they managed to get up and escape scrutiny on their terms. Think Martin Samuel suggested it in an article or 2 in 2020. He also implied that some clubs would have revenge in mind.

Wouldn't be surprised if the EFL would habe been furious as the method of payment, I had a major issue with. Loans Receivable for the ground, ' Blah blah' 'Offsetting? Rah Rah'!

Well, iirc Receivables need paying within 12 months max, don't recall that this ever was and certainly not within 12 months. Pretty sure it's a current asset.

I would also question the commercial viability of a 5 year lease only at iirc £2.6-2.8m per season. The ratio is fine but just 5 years on a £56.7m transaction is dodgy! Certainly in a P&S context.

Lastly, Other Operating Income. Not suggesting that the HS2 compensation revenue was illegitimate but a) Without proper clarity, something in this category appeared 3 years on the bounce and b) Was it categorised correctly?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

That type of thing happens fairly regularly to PL clubs that are outside of the top 6 or 7;in the country. It’s no excuse .

Fairly regularly?

Non "top 5" sides who have won the FA cup in the past 20 years: 3 (Leicester, Cardiff, Wigan).

It actually stretches back longer, but 20 years was enough to prove my point.

He also got Liverpool to 2nd place, and did very well at Swansea. 

I agree with you the Scottish league is poor, but Rogers has done a good job in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dare we dream of Aston Villa coming back down and having to answer some very difficult q's about their actions and methods of achieving compliance in the 3 year period to 2019??

I'm sure the EFL and all of the others in the League that year, including several who have been punished in recent times will not have forgotten. Strategic ambiguity by the EFL? Not as if they ever publicly declared them passing it. Mind you they don't as a rule.

Nor did they come out and declare that the two sides had unlike Leicester, QPR and Bournemouth reached a settlement, albeit this was under the old system.

I did read that the EFL were furious that they managed to get up and escape scrutiny on their terms. Think Martin Samuel suggested it in an article or 2 in 2020. He also implied that some clubs would have revenge in mind.

Wouldn't be surprised if the EFL would habe been furious as the method of payment, I had a major issue with. Loans Receivable for the ground, ' Blah blah' 'Offsetting? Rah Rah'!

Well, iirc Receivables need paying within 12 months max, don't recall that this ever was and certainly not within 12 months. Pretty sure it's a current asset.

I would also question the commercial viability of a 5 year lease only at iirc £2.6-2.8m per season. The ratio is fine but just 5 years on a £56.7m transaction is dodgy! Certainly in a P&S context.

Lastly, Other Operating Income. Not suggesting that the HS2 compensation revenue was illegitimate but a) Without proper clarity, something in this category appeared 3 years on the bounce and b) Was it categorised correctly?

Did they ever pay us for Kodjia? or was the "you got Baker on a discount to settle it" excuse used?

25 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Did they ever pay us for Kodjia? or was the "you got Baker on a discount to settle it" excuse used?

I think that was more of a cashflow and timing thing but surely when new owners came and cleared a load of debt, we would have been sorted along with everyone else. They narrowly avoided admin, indeed some of their fans say that they were close to bankruptcy itself in summer 2018.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Dont like Aston Villa, nothing against Gerrard. 

I don't either which makes the fact I am currently dating a lifelong Villa fan.

She's already dragged me along to the Everton, Man City and Chelsea games

It's been mildly amusing watching the absolute shit show Stevie G has created

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think that was more of a cashflow and timing thing but surely when new owners came and cleared a load of debt, we would have been sorted along with everyone else. They narrowly avoided admin, indeed some of their fans say that they were close to bankruptcy itself in summer 2018.

It never got confirmed by anyone involved, then got memory-holed when they went spend-crazy again.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Rodgers won an fa cup and until they got hit with ffp and had to balance the books this season have been consistently in the top 6, dont you remember he managed Liverpool and swansea before this? What are you smoking :laugh: