IGNORED

Mark Sykes

hollydog

13 minutes ago, tin said:

The jury’s still out for me, but he did well at the Hawthorns. 

Tuesday was his best game since Hull on opening day.

Like our other WB, needs to vastly improve his final ball.

Overall, I think he’s done ok, but shame Wilson hasn’t had chances as he started pre-season looking good.  His sub appearances have been mixed, but sounds like he has had a gradually worsening injury that needed the op he’s just had.

• Like 8

Been a very shrewd pick up.

Not saying he’s of Bradley Orr standard but for a free transfer who hasn’t played wing back a lot, he’s done alright.

Interesting that when Pearson said our focus in recruitment in the summer was to bring in players with very good availability records, Sykes featured 40 times for Oxford last season, Wilson 45 times for FGR & Naismith 44 times for Luton (including playoffs).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not saying he’s of Bradley Orr standard but for a free transfer who hasn’t played wing back a lot, he’s done alright.

Interesting that when Pearson said our focus in recruitment in the summer was to bring in players with very good availability records, Sykes featured 40 times for Oxford last season, Wilson 45 times for FGR & Naismith 44 times for Luton (including playoffs).

And we've managed to crock the other two.....

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with most of all that - he looks like a very good buy.

Btw, even Bradley Orr wasn't Bradley Orr standard when he arrived - he was a very ordinary midfield player in and out of the team. GJ moved him to right back and we all saw him develop.

Sykes has had a big move up and I expect that he'll improve no end given time and coaching - some very optimistic signs though.

• Like 3

Good game on Tuesday but upto now have thought he’s been very poor to the point I’m questioning my own football knowledge when I read some of the comments about how well people think he’s done. I think we did better as a team when he was out suspended. Seems to be ok between 15 yards either side of the half way line but seems poor defensively and poor final ball. Im guessing @Davefevs will be the man who can probably let us know the stats but I’d imagine his %s of successful passes, dribbles, crosses and number of tackles made aren’t great for someone playing in that position. 

As I say most likely it’s me having watched him have an off game and it’s stuck with my opinion of him but just don’t see him as a long term option if we want to progress.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Might have been another game, or a different player, can’t remember now without watching again! ?

He and Vyner have formed a decent partnership on the right, I’m guessing that’s who you mean.

The fact that we haven’t conceded from open play for a while suggests that our defence is doing a good job from that perspective across the back 5.  Hopefully Tuesday marked a turning point in terms of set pieces also. 

it’s the other end where we could really benefit from a greater contribution from both flanks, Mark and Jay.  If Sykes can get his crossing boots on, and maybe chip in with the occasional goal too, that will create more uncertainty for defenders and give us more attacking options. 

• Robin 1

8 hours ago, Calculus said:

Agree with most of all that - he looks like a very good buy.

Btw, even Bradley Orr wasn't Bradley Orr standard when he arrived - he was a very ordinary midfield player in and out of the team. GJ moved him to right back and we all saw him develop.

Sykes has had a big move up and I expect that he'll improve no end given time and coaching - some very optimistic signs though.

Very good point.

Note to self, Sykes is only 14 games into his Championship career, Orr had the promotion season to learn the position before becoming one of the best right backs in the Championship.

10 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Good game on Tuesday but upto now have thought he’s been very poor to the point I’m questioning my own football knowledge when I read some of the comments about how well people think he’s done. I think we did better as a team when he was out suspended. Seems to be ok between 15 yards either side of the half way line but seems poor defensively and poor final ball. Im guessing @Davefevs will be the man who can probably let us know the stats but I’d imagine his %s of successful passes, dribbles, crosses and number of tackles made aren’t great for someone playing in that position. 

As I say most likely it’s me having watched him have an off game and it’s stuck with my opinion of him but just don’t see him as a long term option if we want to progress.

I am planning to do a big “stats” update during the World Cup.  From the “eyes” point of view I think he’s done alright / okay / decent / average (not bang average which most people seem to use as meaning anything but average).  He’s a 6/10 overall, but I thought he was good at Hull and at West Brom.  In his fledgling days with us he’s been steady.  Had he executed the final ball better he’d be getting better comments from me.  He’s been a bit susceptible to balls in behind him too - part the system, part his positioning.  But if he strings performances together like West Brom he is rapidly gonna go up in fans view.  Let’s not forget he’s stepping up a league and playing a pretty new position.