IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't know if been mentioned on here but................the "Mathildas" , really ?    I'm not worried personally but it just seems a bit disrespectful (in this woke day an d age)  It'seems like calling the Lionesses the Dorises or the Karens . Just my thoughts .

Can’t agree, as Waltzing Matilda is a sort of informal national anthem.

Mind you, why aren’t they the Sheilas? ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, phantom said:

I thought this was where it was being used first before being rolled out 

Though when she spoke it seemed too late, ideally let the crowd hear the discussion why a decision was made with VAR 

I wasn't aware that referees would speak over the PA before the World Cup started.
I think I heard in the commentary that this was trialled at the men's U20 World Cup first before FIFA approved it for all their tournaments going forward

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

How can you get booked for a foul that isn’t given as a foul?

Lucky it was not a red. Technically the ball is dead I suppose for the previous foul, but still dangerous play. I mean you can not head butt somebody after the whistle has gone either.

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

I shudder to think what the England-Haiti score could be It could be some record score for a women's world cup game. Though having watched 25 minutes Haiti don't look like a bad side at all.

That's probably spurred Haiti on reading that rubbish.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

That's probably spurred Haiti on reading that rubbish.

Well as they are ranked 55th in the world and England are European champions most people would have expected us to win handsomely so it's not rubbish.

Edited by pillred
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well as they are ranked 55th in the world and England are European champions most people would have expected us to win handsomely so it's not rubbish.

Yes it's always that easy in a WC...

Not impressed with England at all so far , don’t look half the side they were at the euros 

still early yet I suppose but need to get some more control in the game 

please commentators stop going on about TRANSITION ffs , you either give the ball away or you win it back ( old school sorry )

Edited by redkev

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

Not impressed with England at all so far , don’t look half the side they were at the euros 

please commentators stop going on about TRANSITION ffs , you either give the ball away or you win it back ( old school sorry )

If they don't score again in this game it will have been 4 matches without a goal in open play.

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

They seem to have slipped back a bit, look sloppy at times. Bit like that game against Australia , plus like the Mens team they look suspect when they lose possession . Could do with a spell of simple ball to feet and not over commit .
Just as well Earps is concentrating.