IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

Feels like they may have scored too early, just relaxed a bit and missing that edge. 
Under hit passes and caught in possession , hopefully those chances might serve as a wake up and get them going.

Lucky to still be 1-0

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Feels like they may have scored too early, just relaxed a bit and missing that edge. 
Under hit passes and caught in possession , hopefully those chances might serve as a wake up and get them going.

Lucky to still be 1-0

We're our worst enemy

Denmark are only creating from us giving the ball away

The looks like the end of Keira sadly

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Should of been at least 2 up early but lost our way a little and the loss of Walsh could be huge. Fear it's an ACL. 

We are however still in front and the message must be let's do it for Keira. I know little about Coombs but she's apparently a 10 which has seen Stanway drop back. I would have thought Katie Zelem would have come on as she's a holding midfielder but I'm not going to go against Weigmann. 

Let's get the win and assess from there. 

• Admin

Interesting how the pundits on BBC1 at half time picked up on the pitch being too dry - and showing the attempted knee slide goal celebration that the pitch was overly dry, hence why Keira got her foot stuck in the pitch causing her injury

Hate to say it doesn't look good, Keira appeared to mouth "it popped" as she was being treated, she was certainly in a lot of discomfort

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting how the pundits on BBC1 at half time picked up on the pitch being too dry - and showing the attempted knee slide goal celebration that the pitch was overly dry, hence why Keira got her foot stuck in the pitch causing her injury

Hate to say it doesn't look good, Keira appeared to mouth "it popped" as she was being treated, she was certainly in a lot of discomfort

Walsh is undoubtedly a class act and she’ll be an important miss as if her injury is as bad as first looked. A shame for her and England.

Hard fought , scrappy and not convincing and I'm not sure fully deserved. But maybe they are doing what the old Italian sides used to do, build their way into a Tournament . They look a shadow of themselves at the moment.

• Admin

Certainly look a shadow of the dynamic team we were last summer, but I guess with Williamson and Mead missing and now likely to be Walsh this was likely to happen

In a funny way it is just like the mens world cup in that we flatter to deceive in the group stages of a competition but keep churning out the results.

One other thing there isn't really any side yet where you could say they look head and shoulders above everyone else

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Hard fought , scrappy and not convincing and I'm not sure fully deserved. But maybe they are doing what the old Italian sides used to do, build their way into a Tournament . They look a shadow of themselves at the moment.

It was the same turgid performance in the first match but two wins means qualification - job done.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was the same turgid performance in the first match but two wins means qualification - job done.

Winning is all that counts. But with the pressure off in the last game with qualification sorted ( if not top spot yet ) , I would hope to see an improvement . 

A pyrrhic victory?

Firstly, a win. Tick.
Top of the table, looking set for the last sixteen round. Tick.
Injuries: a bad one to a key midfielder. Cross.
Performance: flashes of real world class imperiousness, occasional periods of domination without scoring, but a few patches of rustiness that could have resulted in a much different scoreline. Overall: 6/10.

We looked at times untouchable, but never really got hold of the game and made our lives a but more burdensome than it needed. As time went on, we began to slide back and allow errors to creep in - particularly in the last quarter hour when we looked really leggy and slack. A downhill sort of game.

At first we pushed really high; Bronze and Daly were in the middle of the Danish half for ages and the ball was kept around the penalty box. However, when we gave possession away sloppily we were caught short of defenders. Millie Bright showed signs of not having played for months, although I thought Greenwood at centre half had a great game to compensate. Daly returning as a fullback was a surprise (perhaps a 'no sub' attacking option if things didn't go well).

However, the dark cloud is Walsh being stretchered off. Naturally the medical staff will be on it fully and we will have to wait for the results. Hopefully it is not as bad as feared, because that will strip the spine out of the Euro 22 winning side (centre half, centre forward and now possibly a central midfielder taken out by ligament injuries). Coombes is a decent replacement but she has very few caps or minutes in the middle of the England side.

Finally, the Danes might feel aggrieved they didn't level the score. Earps was a spectator as they smacked the post late on and perhaps should have made better of a couple of other chances.

But as I mentioned, it's a 'W' and we can take some comfort in the fact that we are top of the group with maximum points. And as they say, the real football doesn't begin until the knockouts start.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

One other thing there isn't really any side yet where you could say they look head and shoulders above everyone else

Exactly. It might be a good sign or not, but no team has really stormed this tournament thus far. USA looked sufficient, the Germans showed occasional touches, the French are yet to get up to speed, Brazil weren't really tested against Panama and the Spanish have a few new players this time round. No-one has stood out yet - this could be the tightest World Cup to date and it might be anyone's name on the Cup.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As near as. It’d take some really unusual results in other matches to prevent qualification.

Not really. China and Denmark beating Haiti is not exactly far fetched. Then would just need China to beat England, and both them and Denmark overturning a slender goal difference.

It's unlikely but certainly not 'really unusual'.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure why @Robbored is confused. If Denmark and China both win, it'll come down to GD (which is very close).

Screenshot_20230728-141633-214.png

I’m not confused El. I’ve seen the table and for England not to qualify would be a truly remarkable turn of events. England will beat China tho so no unnecessary concerns.

8 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure why @Robbored is confused. If Denmark and China both win, it'll come down to GD (which is very close).

Screenshot_20230728-141633-214.png

Indeed. If Denmark beat Haiti, as you think they would, we still need something.

China maybe lucky not to give a penalty away late on today and draw, but if China beat us 1-0 and Denmark beat Haiti 1-0 (both within the bounds of possibility), is it then down to lots?

England maybe a bit unlucky the way it has split to have won two, and still in the last group round to still effectively face a knock out match (although they do get the draw).

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not confused El. I’ve seen the table and for England not to qualify would be a truly remarkable turn of events. England will beat China tho so no unnecessary concerns.

I fancy us to get something against China.

However, if Denmark win we need something. I am not sure Denmark winning would be considered 'truly remarkable' and in that event, we are not as good as qualified. We will need a result.