IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

Well i finally got round to watching a Women's world cup game?  I was bored and there had been a lot of hype, so i thought i would see what all the fuss was about?   It is so easy to criticise from one's armchair, and I really wanted to enjoy it and appreciate the skill...but i have to say that it was disappointing, i appreciate that taking one game in isolation is unfair, because it's a big occasion, and players are tense, and it is a long tournament with lots of ups and downs.

But i thought that all three goals were of a poor standard, that would be unlikely, IMHO to occur in a men's game?  Apparently the winner, according to the screeching commentator was "Deadly"..but.I put it down to appalling defending by the Colombian team, and  as for England's and Colombia's first goal's , the least said the better?    I had heard that the standard of goalkeeping had improved, something that i thought had let down womens football in the past?     Again, in isolation it is unfair to criticise, but i thought the standard of keeping was pretty poor?   For all it's technical ability and moments of skill, compared to the men's game.........it just leaves me cold  .....but that's my problem.  Good Luck, and I hope England win it, but quite honestly....... it was not  a patch on the Arsenal v Notts Forest game?

Perhaps not the greatest display of goalkeeping or defending today, agreed; but compare the performance of Sweden's Zecira Musovic against USA and I think you'll be more impressed.

So here we are again, somewhat scrappy but winners. It is the old adage of playing badly and still getting over the line and all that - mark of champions? Results stage of the competition and all that. The good news other than that was we have no (reported) injuries to worry about, the girls took just the ninety minutes to get the job done and the bookings tally is now discarded. Results stage of the competition and all that.

It will be sorrow for the Columbians: their players, their fans, the colour and atmosphere enrich a world event in their own style. However, their time is up. They are on the plane home. We are here all week now.

I think Weigman will be happier to take on the home crowd and the Matildas than the more technical French, as several will be familiar sights on English soil. Only four games left in the tournament, and with the 'big names' out already it might be our time. Again.

• Like 1

This tournament has been an odd one quality wise. Think the top teams have plateaued out, if not declined in quality, with the previous ‘fodder’ teams improving and near catching them up. 

Personally, find it enjoyable, with some skills - close control, passing, trickery and shooting - on a par, if not better than the men’s game. The one aspect that has improved throughout is the keepers, with gaffs now a rarity. On the downside, the play acting that used to be absent is creeping in unfortunately.

Thought Columbia were a very solid, physical, technically proficient side. If they’d really given it a go and had taken the shackles off they could easily have won that match.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

This tournament has been an odd one quality wise. Think the top teams have plateaued out, if not declined in quality, with the previous ‘fodder’ teams improving and near catching them up. 

Personally, find it enjoyable, with some skills - close control, passing, trickery and shooting - on a par, if not better than the men’s game. The one aspect that has improved throughout is the keepers, with gaffs now a rarity. On the downside, the play acting that used to be absent is creeping in unfortunately.

Thought Columbia were a very solid, physical, technically proficient side. If they’d really given it a go and had taken the shackles off they could easily have won that match.

I said something along similar to my wife yesterday.  

Great as it is for England to be beating farmers teams like Belgium 6-1 with a clear technical superiority, it’s noticeable that Nigeria and Columbia had an edge in pace, power and physicality.

Watching the game evolve rapidly will see different approaches, and think these physical traits are traits that will be increasingly sought after. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I said something along similar to my wife yesterday.  

Great as it is for England to be beating farmers teams like Belgium 6-1 with a clear technical superiority, it’s noticeable that Nigeria and Columbia had an edge in pace, power and physicality.

Watching the game evolve rapidly will see different approaches, and think these physical traits are traits that will be increasingly sought after. 

Yep, if we use a lightweight, high-skill midfield we need to play a high tempo game. Move the ball fast, quick feet, accurate passing and create spaces. We didn’t do that, so largely stifled. 

We were lucky to win that game. Bar China, a pretty spluttering show from the us so far in this competition. Need to get back to what we do best for the Aussies.

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Move the ball fast, quick feet, accurate passing and create spaces

Agree.  For all our supposed technical improvement I still see far too much dribbling (into trouble) in the centre of the pitch rather than pass and move per se.  Hemp did her dribbling out wide, and dragged several players with her, but we didn’t exploit the space she created with quick passing afterwards.

Dont get me wrong we are a decent side, but it feels a bit messy at the mo’.

• Like 1

Agree too. Our Euro 22 squad and style have been studied a lot and opponents know us well enough to have worked out the way to stifle us. Press hard, get the midfield pair of Walsh and Stanway to hurry and we are a lot less dangerous. I still think we haven't got that number 10 role sorted enough to link the midfield and attack. We are a good side (probably not as good as last year, nor as sharp up front) but we are still the most capable left. It will take more than the Aussie fans to beat us.

The real question is whether Weigman has enough nous to counter the opposition pressing and the players have it in them to implement. She will be the deciding factor.

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Just seen FIFA have a new ball for the semi finals and final 

Anyone know the difference? 

Hopefully just the design 

Screenshot_20230814_230709_TikTok.jpg

Steady here, its a different colour. That is the change. The design of these balls is not the best, which can be preference. The large panels make them unstable in the air, which is not necessarily a benefit for players. The fussy design also makes locating the valve more difficult - Players very very frequently favour valve up, valve down when taking free kicks. Its better than the Nike thing were the valve was in the centre of a mass of black colouring leading to players honestly finding it difficult to locate the valve.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Steady here, its a different colour. That is the change. The design of these balls is not the best, which can be preference. The large panels make them unstable in the air, which is not necessarily a benefit for players. The fussy design also makes locating the valve more difficult - Players very very frequently favour valve up, valve down when taking free kicks. Its better than the Nike thing were the valve was in the centre of a mass of black colouring leading to players honestly finding it difficult to locate the valve.

That seems a little OTT to me. It’s straightforward enough locating the valve regardless of which colour the valve is in. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

That seems a little OTT to me. It’s straightforward enough locating the valve regardless of which colour the valve is in. 

No. In the heat of the game when the adrenalin is flowing the good designers have made locating the valve more difficult this does not aid players meticulous pre free kick routines that are designed to settle nerves, visualise and focus etc.

The good designers always get the all important logo in. The most prominent thing on a Nike ball is its all importation swoosh. Players of course have to position balls swoosh up .. Perhaps some are now paid a little sweetener to do it and mention this when the opportunity arises in their free kick tutorials etc .. 

A late flurry of goals to finish the semi-final after some pretty cagey sparring. Sweden are more comfortable on the backfoot and were solid enough for so long that they almost lulled themselves into staying that way. Spain have a host of experienced club players with Champions League appearances so were not the rookies some expected. However, these two teams cancelled each other out and did little going forward for long periods.

Salma Paralluelo's introduction was the catalyst to open the game up and her speed and width gave Sweden too much to deal with. You might argue that the goals were a touch fortunate but, as the saying goes, if you're not in the area you won't get on the end of anything. All this from a squad that almost mutinied in the run-up to the tournament.

Now it's up to us to end the Aussies' dream. Whilst there will be many inter-club battles I believe we will show our talent and nous to meet the Spanish at the big party.

• Like 2

England have made the semi finals without really getting going!

It’s going to be hot in there tomorrow and an early onslaught is inevitable, but I’m confident. 

As an aside Alexi Lallas keeps saying anyone but England on Fox. I hope they are showing the players his comments on the insufferable English! 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting that you say that because the training yesterday was in heavy rain and very English conditions

I was thinking more about atmosphere. It poured today, but the pitch held up well. 

Who knows about tomorrow mind you. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

3 late goals don't change the facts it was overall pretty dreadful I really hope tomorrow's game is more watchable as it would be a shame at the finish to spoil what's been a pretty exiting tournament. 

Agreed, but results trump entertainment, especially in a knockout tourney.

Should be a good atmosphere at least, snd I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully @shahanshahan has got his ticket.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No. In the heat of the game when the adrenalin is flowing the good designers have made locating the valve more difficult this does not aid players meticulous pre free kick routines that are designed to settle nerves, visualise and focus etc.

The good designers always get the all important logo in. The most prominent thing on a Nike ball is its all importation swoosh. Players of course have to position balls swoosh up .. Perhaps some are now paid a little sweetener to do it and mention this when the opportunity arises in their free kick tutorials etc .. 

Obviously the manufacturers/designers want their logo noticed but I don’t buy that the placing of the valve makes it more difficult to locate.

Even in the heat of the game it’s simple enough at a set play for the taker scan the ball for the valve.

Personally I like to see the ball swoosh - it’s quite a skill to execute that particular skill - Christiano Ronaldo springs to mind.