IGNORED

Pearson must stay

Curr Avon

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  So many want to put everything down to the manager (mostly those laying blame, but a few giving credit, albeit a much smaller number).  I don’t think it’s being motivated one game and not the other either…football just isn’t like that.  The Championship isn’t either, is it really?  It’s lots if things, not one thing.  The team that plays better on the day, generally gets the result.  Norwich without a win in 5 btw!!

Dave- do you ever, just for a minute, think you may be posting in a very small echo chamber? 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  So many want to put everything down to the manager (mostly those laying blame, but a few giving credit, albeit a much smaller number).  I don’t think it’s being motivated one game and not the other either…football just isn’t like that.  The Championship isn’t either, is it really?  It’s lots if things, not one thing.  The team that plays better on the day, generally gets the result.  Norwich without a win in 5 btw!!

A couple of my thoughts to add to this debate: 1) I think the games coming thick and fast due to the stupidity of scheduling a winter World Cup is a big contributory factor to the inconsistency across the whole league, eg Blackburn being top with seven defeats already this season; 2) and this is by no means a criticism, but look what is Vyner doing for Reading’s first today?  He’s upped his game this year but he’s ball watching again and this is real weakness in his game, yet we have to pick him because of the lack of depth in the squad. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Agreed, but if we want to sell him on in January (which we probably do) then he needs to be in the shop window. Who will pay £10m plus for a player that can’t hold down a position in the current Bristol City side?

I actually think him playing as an impact sub would see him scoring more goals. That would add value. 

• Like 1

OK Fevs thought Wiliams played a bit wide first half today limiting space for Jay and Rob.

He looks to me getting stronger and better by the game. Not the quickest but always looking for a give and go or cutting back inside and looking for the switch in play. 

Trouble is for me no one being brave enough to gamble on a run to give him that pass option. Ends up with a square ball, then recycle back to the keeper.  Danger over.

Needless to say i like him.

• Like 1

Think NP was right to question quality. Quality players can still put in a performance even if not firing on all cylinders.

Not NP’s fault. No resources, no quality.

Fans also are quick to condemn players and equally quick to overpraise. I don’ think Semenyo is likely to improve much from this point in..  We have had too many players like him, lauded by fans, who have simply fizzled out.  If he was that good there would have been offers in the summer.  We are unlikely to receive offers in January.  A blind alley I fear.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Whatever the sport (or indeed any thing else) what matters if you are going to be really successful is the ability to consistently perform at the standard required. When NP spoke post-match yesterday of ‘quality’ I think he might have been referring to too many of our players being unable to maintain a consistent level of performance. At Championship level there is inconsistency in most teams and players which is why on the day any one can beat any one. The teams and players which perform consistently well progress the rest stay put. 

15 hours ago, FNQ said:

Agreed, but if we want to sell him on in January (which we probably do) then he needs to be in the shop window. Who will pay £10m plus for a player that can’t hold down a position in the current Bristol City side?

I’d rather he stayed, signed a new deal, regained his form and then moved on.

15 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Dave- do you ever, just for a minute, think you may be posting in a very small echo chamber? 

No.  Do you think there’s one single reason for our inconsistency, and OTIB knows that one reason, that it’s so obvious, but the pros don’t?  That it’s all down to Nige’s motivation one game and all down to his lack of it the next.

13 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

OK Fevs thought Wiliams played a bit wide first half today limiting space for Jay and Rob.

He looks to me getting stronger and better by the game. Not the quickest but always looking for a give and go or cutting back inside and looking for the switch in play. 

Trouble is for me no one being brave enough to gamble on a run to give him that pass option. Ends up with a square ball, then recycle back to the keeper.  Danger over.

Needless to say i like him.

Agree.  Think 1) he didn’t get the ball in those positions and 2) when he did get on the ball the runs around him weren’t great.

40 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The long and short of it is he’s taken us from relegation fodder to mid table without any money. So pretty good. And yesterday… the players just weren’t fighting. I’m frustrated with them. 

His subs were odd but no, we shouldn’t sack him.

I am not saying sack him either but relegation fodder to mid table is an overstatement imo. We were 17th last season(18th on GD without points deductions). We are 12th a third of the way through the season but it is too early to say what we are. And he has had money. It may not compare with what LJ got but he has had money for fees(Atkinson, Wilson and Tanner) and he has been able to sign players he wanted.

The wage bill argument is a bit silly because I think we can all agree it should have never been as high as it was. So it coming down should not be used as a credit to NP. Famara left because he wanted daft money. KP wasn’t featuring. Chose Weimann over Paterson for the same position no need for both. O’Dowda we all wanted to see gone. Hunt, Watkins, Adelakun and Walsh think most thought weren’t up to the standard. He hasn’t had to lose anyone he wanted to keep. 

42 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not saying sack him either but relegation fodder to mid table is an overstatement imo. We were 17th last season(18th on GD without points deductions). We are 12th a third of the way through the season but it is too early to say what we are. And he has had money. It may not compare with what LJ got but he has had money for fees(Atkinson, Wilson and Tanner) and he has been able to sign players he wanted.

The wage bill argument is a bit silly because I think we can all agree it should have never been as high as it was. So it coming down should not be used as a credit to NP. Famara left because he wanted daft money. KP wasn’t featuring. Chose Weimann over Paterson for the same position no need for both. O’Dowda we all wanted to see gone. Hunt, Watkins, Adelakun and Walsh think most thought weren’t up to the standard. He hasn’t had to lose anyone he wanted to keep. 

It doesn’t compare to what LJ got that’s for sure! Atkinson 1.6m, Tanner under 1m and I thought Wilson was a freebie (maybe a little comp)? For context Johnson spent 13.3m on two players; Fam and Kalas. Fam who had to leave and Kalas who hasn’t been fit too much under Pearson. And while I agree that most the players we lost were ok to lose, he’s still lost a lot of players and had comparative pennies to rebuild a Championship ready squad. Our lack of depth this season is testament to the constraints we’re working under: we’ve frequently had 3 fit centre-halves for 3 positions this year. 

I enjoyed Johnson’s tenure and don’t begrudge him spending money he was offered, but factoring in the very different circumstances Pearson has worked under I think he’s in credit. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It doesn’t compare to what LJ got that’s for sure! Atkinson 1.6m, Tanner under 1m and I thought Wilson was a freebie (maybe a little comp)? For context Johnson spent 13.3m on two players; Fam and Kalas. Fam who had to leave and Kalas who hasn’t been fit too much under Pearson. And while I agree that most the players we lost were ok to lose, he’s still lost a lot of players and had comparative pennies to rebuild a Championship ready squad. Our lack of depth this season is testament to the constraints we’re working under: we’ve frequently had 3 fit centre-halves for 3 positions this year. 

I enjoyed Johnson’s tenure and don’t begrudge him spending money he was offered, but factoring in the very different circumstances Pearson has worked under I think he’s in credit. 

I can understand that. I just look at it as we have reverted to a more normal way of operating is all. I don’t think we really lack depth either just lack depth compared to what we have been. If you look at players not involved in the squad yesterday in Kalas, Massengo, Wilson and Benarous that will make us stronger. Everyone deals with injuries. Injury free we are quite strong imo from 1-20 compared to non parachute payment clubs when all fit. We have been particularly unlucky with the back 3 though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tin said:

A couple of my thoughts to add to this debate: 1) I think the games coming thick and fast due to the stupidity of scheduling a winter World Cup is a big contributory factor to the inconsistency across the whole league, eg Blackburn being top with seven defeats already this season; 2) and this is by no means a criticism, but look what is Vyner doing for Reading’s first today?  He’s upped his game this year but he’s ball watching again and this is real weakness in his game, yet we have to pick him because of the lack of depth in the squad. 

Vyner has been one of our most consistent players this season. Always good to have a scapegoat though. 

20 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

More to do with the players than NP

So if performance continue to be generally poor and we are in/near the relegation we just shrug are shoulders and put up with it do we? Pearsons win ratio doesn’t suggest to me that he is up to the job or knows what he’s doing (example the 3 subs yesterday and then bringing King on, expecting him to influence the game). 

48 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can understand that. I just look at it as we have reverted to a more normal way of operating is all. I don’t think we really lack depth either just lack depth compared to what we have been. If you look at players not involved in the squad yesterday in Kalas, Massengo, Wilson and Benarous that will make us stronger. Everyone deals with injuries. Injury free we are quite strong imo from 1-20 compared to non parachute payment clubs when all fit. We have been particularly unlucky with the back 3 though. 

Usually that results in us playing Lg1 football.

When we get past next summer, the OOC have left or re-signed new, reduced deals, we will likely have a squad where we can begin to trade again.  We aren’t there yet, we are looking in the middle aisle at Aldi / Lidl, hoping that a bargain comes along…and that we want.

We need to muddle on through til then.

Compate Bristol City squad to Reading squad, when all fit…we have lots of similar ability players to theirs, then they have Joao, Ejaria, Moore, Dann, Hendrick, all superior to anyone in ours on their day.  Okay you may dispute one or two, but I don’t think I’m being too “choosy”.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Usually that results in us playing Lg1 football.

When we get past next summer, the OOC have left or re-signed new, reduced deals, we will likely have a squad where we can begin to trade again.  We aren’t there yet, we are looking in the middle aisle at Aldi / Lidl, hoping that a bargain comes along…and that we want.

We need to muddle on through til then.

Compate Bristol City squad to Reading squad, when all fit…we have lots of similar ability players to theirs, then they have Joao, Ejaria, Moore, Dann, Hendrick, all superior to anyone in ours on their day.  Okay you may dispute one or two, but I don’t think I’m being too “choosy”.

Would you say the same about the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Swansea? If these types of clubs have stand out players better than ours then you have to wonder why. I know let’s blame Ashton and Johnson rather than look at the current management. 
Let’s face it we are much too inconsistent and too easy to play against, that has to be down to the current tactics and coaching. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aa_bcfc said:

Would you say the same about the likes of Luton, Millwall, Preston, Swansea? If these types of clubs have stand out players better than ours then you have to wonder why. I know let’s blame Ashton and Johnson rather than look at the current management. 
Let’s face it we are much too inconsistent and too easy to play against, that has to be down to the current tactics and coaching. 

No, I see them (generically) as 2 years further into their evolution than us, reaping the benefits of a good plan, recruitment, solid financial management etc.  Swansea had PPs don’t forget until this summer, we’re paying Ayew  £60-90k p.w!

Once again. It’s all one-sided argument, where are your thoughts on why we have won games, are sitting mid-table. If we were as you state, wouldn’t we we in the bottom three for example. We’re our tactics and coaching crap a few weeks back.

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Although Swansea now supposedly have a bottom 6 to bottom third budget. So it's been claimed anyway.

Agree with the general point though. We're doing okay but some games as we have recently seen where we don't seem to get started or are slow to get started is frustrating. Pretty happy wirh NP so far, considering the restraints and yes doing more with less.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I see them (generically) as 2 years further into their evolution than us, reaping the benefits of a good plan, recruitment, solid financial management etc.  Swansea had PPs don’t forget until this summer, we’re paying Ayew  £60-90k p.w!

Once again. It’s all one-sided argument, where are your thoughts on why we have won games, are sitting mid-table. If we were as you state, wouldn’t we we in the bottom three for example. We’re our tactics and coaching crap a few weeks back.

Keep saying sitting mid table ….. a lot maybe everyone has games in hands over us let see where we are after that maybe Christmas ! Fed up of Pearson blaming players ability and not his approach to the games , Dasilva and Sykes both been found out yet all nothing been done ! Games not going are way he just bring on weaker players and does nothing tactically …… baffling 

20 hours ago, Harry said:

These 2 posts kinda sum up how I feel about the best way to use Semenyo at the moment. 
I mentioned in another thread during the week how I feel we should use the 5 subs in a more tactical sense. 
Semenyo, for me, is best at the moment being the ‘impact’ player to come on and brutalise a tired defence. 
When we say that we are struggling for a ‘switch-up’ I think Semenyo should be that switch up. Let Wells, Conway and Weimann tire the defenders out for an hour with their superior movement and energy and then hour mark, unleash hell. 

As long as unleashing hell doesn't involve actual hell - hopeful hoof ball

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although Swansea now supposedly have a bottom 6 to bottom third budget. So it's been claimed anyway.

Agree with the general point though. We're doing okay but some games as we have recently seen where we don't seem to get started or are slow to get started is frustrating. Pretty happy wirh NP so far, considering the restraints and yes doing more with less.

They are probably in the middle third, lower end, they cut back a bit last summer when Ayew left.  We shall see what all the loans costs them!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

IMO we afford Pearson to many excuses. He gets a free pass despite the poor quality of performances and dreadful overall win ratio. 

Would you say that generally our performances since the international break are bottom 3? 7 points from 7 games suggests that to me.

And 7 points from the last 9 games definitely is bottom 3 form. 

• Like 1