IGNORED

Pearson must stay

Curr Avon

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

No idea but I guarantee NP out will be talked about by both your co podders. Time to speak up for the defence.

True. I want Pearson to succeed, but I'm flabbergasted why he can inspire the team to play attractive attacking football against the likes of Blackburn and Norwich, then revert to a clueless mess against Reading, Birmingham and Millwall. 

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

True. I want Pearson to succeed, but I'm flabbergasted why he can inspire the team to play attractive attacking football against the likes of Blackburn and Norwich, then revert to a clueless mess against Reading, Birmingham and Millwall. 

I mentioned on another post, in those earlier games Conway and Wells were working their socks off starting the press from the front which then set the tempo for the rest of the team. This press and tempo has dropped off considerably since Semenyo has been starting.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

More to do with the players than NP

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I’m sorry but the reason we have inconsistent players is because they play for Bristol City if we had players who played more consistently they wouldn’t be playing for us - as frustrating as that is, it’s a fact of life. Pearson or another manager isn’t going to change that. The championship is an unpredictable league because most teams are in the same position as us regards being good some weeks, average others and awful. It’s like the comment after Tuesdays game asking why we didn’t defend better at Birmingham to what we did against West Brom overlooking the fact on Tuesday we had a different keeper , a different CB in the middle of the three instead of King and the return of James, an experienced player !

Edited by daored
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

NP questioned in his post match interview the lack of quality in the players. He said he didn't want to...but maybe it was the case, something along those lines.

The connundrum is, certain players know they will most likely be going in the next transfer window. Others probably know they will be sold or released at the end of the season. Also a world cup coming up.

If we think it's bad now...it's only going to get worse after January.

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Exactly.  So many want to put everything down to the manager (mostly those laying blame, but a few giving credit, albeit a much smaller number).  I don’t think it’s being motivated one game and not the other either…football just isn’t like that.  The Championship isn’t either, is it really?  It’s lots if things, not one thing.  The team that plays better on the day, generally gets the result.  Norwich without a win in 5 btw!!

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

But like your two compatriots , you wouldn’t give Pearson the funds to evolve the squad if Scott or Antoine were sold

Not much backing there from someone who wants him to succeed 

And you’ve heard of ‘form’ ?

With due respect Mark , any win and you are on RB , waxing lyrical about us, 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

But like your two compatriots , you wouldn’t give Pearson the funds to evolve the squad if Scott or Antoine were sold

You change like the seasons 

I just wish that when the comment is made that Pearson must go , a REALISTIC alternative is provided. None ever is , if you want change you have to have an option to replace 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

NP questioned in his post match interview the lack of quality in the players. He said he didn't want to...but maybe it was the case, something along those lines.

The connundrum is, certain players know they will most likely be going in the next transfer window. Others probably know they will be sold or released at the end of the season. Also a world cup coming up.

If we think it's bad now...it's only going to get worse after January.

I said elsewhere we have a lot of similar ability players, we don’t have many who can lift the whole team off the back of a stunning individual performance.  That’s not saying we don’t have any, Semenyo is probably our one true “maverick”.  He looks out of touch (against my expectation) at the mo’.  He might be struggling from his shin break…which isn’t unsurprising either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I said elsewhere we have a lot of similar ability players, we don’t have many who can lift the whole team off the back of a stunning individual performance.  That’s not saying we don’t have any, Semenyo is probably our one true “maverick”.  He looks out of touch (against my expectation) at the mo’.  He might be struggling from his shin break…which isn’t unsurprising either.

That’s a very good and true point Dave ,

I said a few weeks back that we need 9 or 10 of the side to be a 7/8 out of 10 to be ‘decent’

We can’t have many , more than one or two far from their ‘decent game’ (at worst)  to get good results , and that’s a big ask , especially with a few younger and a seemingly endless players returning from injury , finding their feet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daored said:

I just wish that when the comment is made that Pearson must go , a REALISTIC alternative is provided. None ever is , if you want change you have to have an option to replace 

Disagree. It’s only Stevie Gee  (Gee for Guernsey) that has to have an option to replace, cos he's the bloke that will replace Nige, when Nige gets off his arse and walks

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I doubt it's the latter Dave. The club would have picked up on that imo.

It's easy for us all to look at our weaknesses and highlight them...however I look at the league table and consistency amongst teams, and the majority reflect our own form. Only a few are on winning streaks. 

Imo...we are too soft at set pieces and too reliant on attacking from wide areas. 

We will sell in January and be much weaker after that.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  So many want to put everything down to the manager (mostly those laying blame, but a few giving credit, albeit a much smaller number).  I don’t think it’s being motivated one game and not the other either…football just isn’t like that.  The Championship isn’t either, is it really?  It’s lots if things, not one thing.  The team that plays better on the day, generally gets the result.  Norwich without a win in 5 btw!!

And Norwich even got (and missed) a pen!

I honestly believe it's a case of right manager, wrong players. And that hurts to say.

He has made progress, that's obvious for most to see. Plus, he has worked with no budget whatsoever. 

However, there is still a serious turnover required of this squad, for a variety of reasons. Contract, wages, ability etc. 

My concern is... how long will it take to overhaul this squad to a level where we can compete? I hope Nige is able to outstay certain members of this squad. 

36 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Possibly because Reading, Birmingham and Millwall didn’t allow us to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Disagree. It’s only Stevie Gee  (Gee for Guernsey) that has to have an option to replace, cos he's the bloke that will replace Nige, when Nige gets off his arse and walks

I agree that whenever a manager is appointed at Bristol City it will be Steve who has the final say. My point is that if fans suggest the manager should be sacked then an alternative should be suggested , because ultimately if you don’t think better can be obtained why call for someone to be replaced ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I doubt it's the latter Dave. The club would have picked up on that imo.

It's easy for us all to look at our weaknesses and highlight them...however I look at the league table and consistency amongst teams, and the majority reflect our own form. Only a few are on winning streaks. 

Imo...we are too soft at set pieces and too reliant on attacking from wide areas. 

We will sell in January and be much weaker after that.

I want suggesting he’s still injured, just struggling to regain form.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Great post. We were crying out for a bit of invention today, someone doing something different, trying something. Just my opinion but we were quite predictable today.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Great post. We were crying out for a bit of invention today, someone doing something different, trying something. Just my opinion but we were quite predictable today.

These 2 posts kinda sum up how I feel about the best way to use Semenyo at the moment. 
I mentioned in another thread during the week how I feel we should use the 5 subs in a more tactical sense. 
Semenyo, for me, is best at the moment being the ‘impact’ player to come on and brutalise a tired defence. 
When we say that we are struggling for a ‘switch-up’ I think Semenyo should be that switch up. Let Wells, Conway and Weimann tire the defenders out for an hour with their superior movement and energy and then hour mark, unleash hell. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

These 2 posts kinda sum up how I feel about the best way to use Semenyo at the moment. 
I mentioned in another thread during the week how I feel we should use the 5 subs in a more tactical sense. 
Semenyo, for me, is best at the moment being the ‘impact’ player to come on and brutalise a tired defence. 
When we say that we are struggling for a ‘switch-up’ I think Semenyo should be that switch up. Let Wells, Conway and Weimann tire the defenders out for and hour with their superior movement and energy and then hour mark, unleash hell. 

Agreed, but if we want to sell him on in January (which we probably do) then he needs to be in the shop window. Who will pay £10m plus for a player that can’t hold down a position in the current Bristol City side?