IGNORED

Standing - again

AG City

I get if you are at an away game, you might want to stand. But if you do, why don’t you just  buy a ticket towards the back not 5 rows from the front?  
Also, if you rock up 5 mins into the game, then complain you can’t get at the back, don’t knock older fans at the front out of the way who then have to try and stand for the whole game (or see nothing all).  
If you were in the disabled section today I doubt you saw any of the action in the 2nd half as plenty who came back from half time just stood in the concourse. 
Yes I guess it’s the stewards job but the abuse some were dishing out to female stewards was embarrassing.  Its  not on at all. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, AG City said:

I get if you are at an away game, you might want to stand. But if you do, why don’t you just  buy a ticket towards the back not 5 rows from the front?  
Also, if you rock up 5 mins into the game, then complain you can’t get at the back, don’t knock older fans at the front out of the way who then have to try and stand for the whole game (or see nothing all).  
If you were in the disabled section today I doubt you saw any of the action in the 2nd half as plenty who came back from half time just stood in the concourse. 
Yes I guess it’s the stewards job but the abuse some were dishing out to female stewards was embarrassing.  Its  not on at all. 

Just playing devil's advocate but the concourse was not fit for purpose. It was utterly rammed at half time. Once the match re started it would have taken some at least ten minutes to get back into the ground. The disabled section was positioned between the two entrances / exits to the concourse so would be the first place any ' overcrowding' occurred once people realised they couldn't go further back.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Some people don’t want to. Some people can’t. 

It isn’t so much that / it’s quite a frightening experience for a 5 year old to try and get through a crowded concourse where beer is being thrown about etc by coked up lunatics. Now I couldn’t care less myself and I also like standing up at an away game but there are many who don’t. They need to find a way of sorting this out - getting those who want to stand to the back etc. So yes it was good to be away from that hassle with a 5 year old today. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Club and Country said:

I get that, about 90% of clubs away fans stand at away games now from what I see on tv, I wonder if they have the same debates on there forums ?

Dunno: this is the only one I read. Apart from an occasional glimpse at gaschat - and of course they have such massive support there’s never room to sit!

Seriously, personally, it doesn’t particularly worry me, I’m happy to stand or sit. But I know people who can’t stand - and it’s not necessarily obvious. And there are some real thoughtless plonkers among our fans. I saw two today, in about row 5, no-one else standing for half a mile around them, including people immediately behind them, but they still seemed intent on standing regardless. 

I was going to take a photo…….then someone stood up in front of me ?

• Like 1

Guess as the OP what I’m getting at is I’ve no problem with those who want to stand etc but if you turn up 5/10 mins into the game and can’t get to the back then standing in front of older city fans who get in early and want to sit in the front rows as they can’t climb 30 plus steps isn’t the best look 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Glad I was in reading family stand today as took my 5 year old. Don’t need the hassle a lot cause on short distance away trips. 

Surprised so many were standing. Usually on the short distance away trips most of the knuckle draggers spend the entire match in the concourse ?

24 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

I get that, about 90% of clubs away fans stand at away games now from what I see on tv, I wonder if they have the same debates on there forums ?

There was no debate when midweek we pretty much stood for the whole game,can’t comment on today because wasn’t there but it seems a local game brings out wrong uns and moaners who want a sanitised away end 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Dunno: this is the only one I read. Apart from an occasional glimpse at gaschat - and of course they have such massive support there’s never room to sit!

Seriously, personally, it doesn’t particularly worry me, I’m happy to stand or sit. But I know people who can’t stand - and it’s not necessarily obvious. And there are some real thoughtless plonkers among our fans. I saw two today, in about row 5, no-one else standing for half a mile around them, including people immediately behind them, but they still seemed intent on standing regardless. 

I was going to take a photo…….then someone stood up in front of me ?

Haven’t been to reading for a few years now but for them to be standing while people half a mile around them sat down is very impressive,does the away end hold 83 thousand ?

32 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

There was no debate when midweek we pretty much stood for the whole game,can’t comment on today because wasn’t there but it seems a local game brings out wrong uns and moaners who want a sanitised away end 

It’s not how long people stand for that’s the issue, it’s where.

At West Brom as far as I could see no-one stood in the first few rows, which meant anyone who wanted or needed to sit could do so there. I don’t get why people find it hard to grasp such a simple way of managing everyone’s preferences.

If a “sanitised away end” is one where everyone’s needs are respected and where you can go into the concourse without getting beer chucked over you by coked up idiots, then I’m all for them. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

This problem only rears it’s head at full away games. 

Most of the time when theres space (80% of our fixtures) standers head to the top. Sitters lower down. Very few issues

This issue comes when we sell out an away end, often including many who rarely go away, who are extremely keen to sit in their designated seat. (Which I find bizarre as they are no more worthy/less worthy of a particularly good/bad seat than anyone else) This then creates less room for those who want to stand to do so and causes hassle for everyone.

Literally the only way round this is for the club to encourage and publicise at point of sale that all away fixtures are unallocated seats. You get rid of all squabbling, all shit chants (you’re in my seatttt), and allows those who want to stand to migrate towards the back.

If this was the unspoken policy adhered to by everyone, hopefully it would improve for all.

And in this case, anyone then standing in row 5 could be fairly be called out as being a ********.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I think maybe the other thing is that had something to stand up for on Tuesday.

You were lucky to miss today. Believe me, there was little to get anyone on their feet today. Never mind sitting, the most appropriate position today would have been lying down. ?

Edited by italian dave
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Club and Country said:

So what you’re implying here is that it’s okay to marginalise less able or young fans because “that’s what away fans do”. Jesus wept.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, AG City said:

Yes,I was in disabled section on a mobility scooter,very annoying,when City had a corner couldn't see anything,these fans were standing in front of us ,they were asked several times to move back by stewards, yes,they apologized, but it got overcrowded, the trouble was these fans were fuelled up with alcohol,I even went to the toilet just after half time ,I come out of the disabled toilet and blokes were urinating up against the walls in the corners in the concourse under the stand, no police about to control the situation,

• Sad 1

This debate seems to crop up every so often and i must admit it always makes me curious if other clubs have the same issues.

How many away teams have we seen at Ashton gate Leeds united being a good example where literally every single one of their fans stands. 

Like i said not knocking the point posters above are making but its always interested me about other clubs who seem to have that unwritten rule of if its an away day you stand mentality.

13 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Do you even get to choose your seat when you buy an away ticket? 

Yes you do. Started this season to enable those who want to stand or sit choose the most suitable seats. The trouble arises when people arrive at the ground and this isn't enforced. People arrive late and then stand down the front where these is more room, too poor a view for me personally. Or in the case yesterday people stood half way up the stand blocking views of people already sitting.

I think personally all grounds should be unreserved, you just buy a ticket get there early and stand or sit. People who arrive after you should respect whats happening around them. If people are sitting then sit etc. Go to the back if you want to stand, if there is no room tough luck, arrive earlier. 

For the record I'm happy to do either but fully understand some can't and obviously children need to see.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Fair play I have no idea how you’ve come to that conclusion from me asking if other clubs debate it aswell

It read that “hey everybodys doing it” and the tone was more sarcastic than debating. Basically it looks there as if you’re normalising the behaviour rather than challenging it. If you’re not, fine. And don’t get me wrong it’s not an easy topic to easily figure out but clearly what’s gone on yesterday isn’t how we should be treating fellow fans.