IGNORED

Standing - again

AG City

There just needs to be a uniform approach across the leagues so everyone knows what’s what. At the moment half the time you have to sit in your seat and half the time it’s a free for all.  You don’t know which until you get into the ground.  I would prefer to stand at away games but you need to have courtesy and common sense as to what position you find yourself in on the day and then act accordingly.   Not hard really. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, weepywall said:

There was a lot of drink and drugs cosumed by a fair few of our lot yesterday any respect for fellow fans goes out the window then. I got accused of being a Reading fan by some pissed up paperboy in a Stone Thailand top just because I wouldn't get him a pint at halftime ?‍♂️

A modern day football hooligan. Was he videoing it too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Yes you do. Started this season to enable those who want to stand or sit choose the most suitable seats. The trouble arises when people arrive at the ground and this isn't enforced. People arrive late and then stand down the front where these is more room, too poor a view for me personally. Or in the case yesterday people stood half way up the stand blocking views of people already sitting.

I think personally all grounds should be unreserved, you just buy a ticket get there early and stand or sit. People who arrive after you should respect whats happening around them. If people are sitting then sit etc. Go to the back if you want to stand, if there is no room tough luck, arrive earlier. 

For the record I'm happy to do either but fully understand some can't and obviously children need to see.

What annoys me even more is when 10 late comers force themselves into a row where there are only 6 seats imagining that everyone else will move out of their way!

• Like 1

I’m afraid until football sorts out ‘safe standing’ and then insists if you buy a ticket for a standing area you stand, and if you buy a ticket for a seat - you sit - this situation will never be resolved.

I went to Coventry last season (when we had our last penalty) and everyone pretty much stood, which as someone who prefers to sit really annoys me!  I get that closer to the front you are more likely to be able to sit - but why should those who want to sit have to go to the front where the view is clearly worse than half way back?  Everyone pays the same price!

As for the behaviour of some of our ‘so called fans’ their behaviour is often abhorrent- I’m sure most of these ‘fans’ wouldn’t behave like it in front of their girlfriends or mothers so why behave like it at football matches.

I wish it were possible for clubs to sell home and away tickets for seats and standing - the fans know where they are and the stewards can marshall accordingly!

Having said all of this - fans ‘choose’ how to behave and sadly many just don’t know how!

• Like 3

@Denbury Red

I thought improvement in this area was in the works.

One of the areas suggested with safe standing was home and away...so behind the main goal for home fans and as for away, this area too to take account of high numbers of standers.

Dunno if it was percentage of capacity, a hard number, percentage of allocation or what exactly. Definitely remember hearing it though.

11 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I’m afraid until football sorts out ‘safe standing’ and then insists if you buy a ticket for a standing area you stand, and if you buy a ticket for a seat - you sit - this situation will never be resolved.

I went to Coventry last season (when we had our last penalty) and everyone pretty much stood, which as someone who prefers to sit really annoys me!  I get that closer to the front you are more likely to be able to sit - but why should those who want to sit have to go to the front where the view is clearly worse than half way back?  Everyone pays the same price!

As for the behaviour of some of our ‘so called fans’ their behaviour is often abhorrent- I’m sure most of these ‘fans’ wouldn’t behave like it in front of their girlfriends or mothers so why behave like it at football matches.

I wish it were possible for clubs to sell home and away tickets for seats and standing - the fans know where they are and the stewards can marshall accordingly!

Having said all of this - fans ‘choose’ how to behave and sadly many just don’t know how!

Maybe that’s an idea.   Make certain blocks near the front sitting (unreserved but stewarded) and then the rest is a free for all? 

Edited by lenred

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

There was a lot of drink and drugs cosumed by a fair few of our lot yesterday any respect for fellow fans goes out the window then. I got accused of being a Reading fan by some pissed up paperboy in a Stone Thailand top just because I wouldn't get him a pint at halftime ?‍♂️

Did he want you to get the pint because he couldn't get served or did he just want you to pay for his drink? 

Edited by The dastardly red
Clarity

9 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Did he want you to get the pint because he couldn't get served or did he just want you to pay for his drink? 

Both I think, he looked about 12, said I must be a Reading fan if I wouldn't buy a City fan a drink, asked me to name my favourite City player to prove I wasn't a Reading fan, I said "mate I'm 58 I don't have a favourite player" 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Midred said:

What annoys me even more is when 10 late comers force themselves into a row where there are only 6 seats imagining that everyone else will move out of their way!

I experience this often. And they don't 'imagine', they actually intimidate people into moving. Last year  I was standing but some late arriving idiots decided to enter my row. Once they realised it was rammed and they couldn't get anywhere they stood infront of me, so there were two of us in the same space. I told him to move one way or the other but he obviously didn't see me as a threat, I guess I am an easy target and he wouldn't have stood infront of a bloke.

Anyway a steward saw us arguing and insisted that I move ' for my safety and comfort'. I explained what had happened, and I was actually in my ticketed seat but in the end I had to move to a lower row with an inferior view.

Yes we certainly have some idiots. In my case they were 45 or 50 year old blokes, totally pissed and off their heads on God knows what 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Maybe that’s an idea.   Make certain blocks near the front sitting (unreserved but stewarded) and then the rest is a free for all? 

As good idea as it is, its just not possible is it? To do this would be seen to be allowing standing,yeah, yeah I know, but it is still against the law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Am I the only person who thinks 'safe standing' is an utter load of old bollocks? Old school, 'normal' terraces are perfectly safe as long as they are adequately maintained and you don't allow them to get over crowded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Am I the only person who thinks 'safe standing' is an utter load of old bollocks? Old school, 'normal' terraces are perfectly safe as long as they are adequately maintained and you don't allow them to get over crowded.

Probably the best we are going to get any time soon however yes there is a case for old style terraces albeit with some tweaks for modernity and safety standards.

All credit to those who campaigned for Safe Standing though, I remember first reading about it as far back as the late 1990s, early 2000's.

23 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Do you even get to choose your seat when you buy an away ticket? 

I did at West Brom, and the jobs worth forced people towards them - or at least they blocked off the upper block and you couldn’t get there if your ticket wasn’t for the area. Luckily a few of us stood at the back of the bottom section

13 hours ago, Bris Red said:

This debate seems to crop up every so often and i must admit it always makes me curious if other clubs have the same issues.

How many away teams have we seen at Ashton gate Leeds united being a good example where literally every single one of their fans stands. 

Like i said not knocking the point posters above are making but its always interested me about other clubs who seem to have that unwritten rule of if its an away day you stand mentality.

I think part of it may be that the Atyeo is wide and shallow, which means that there's usually a block, or half a block, and one end where a relatively small proportion of people can and do sit. Unlike many away ends (WBA and Reading being good examples) that are narrower but much deeper - so more people are stood in front of each other overall.

I can't pretend to remember the Leeds game (although in my experience  I'm not sure that the behaviour of Leeds fans is something I'd suggest we all aspire to!) but certainly when Cardiff and Sunderland both had big followings that stood up this season there was a block at one end where people sat.

• Like 1