IGNORED

Zak Vyner - well played son.

The Constant Rabbit

17 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

In the form of his career, Zac had his best ever game.

Marshalled an incredibly young and inexperienced defence against much more seasoned opponents.

Fantastic game - well played Zac

Exactly right. Well done Zac, really suited him having some of the more inexperienced players to guide through.

19 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Marshalled an incredibly young and inexperienced defence against much more seasoned opponents.

Been saying it for weeks, has got a raw deal this season. Other defenders have performed far worse then him and haven’t got 10% of the stick 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

All three Zak, George and Pring

Excellent

Tanner and Pring couldn’t have done much more to ‘take their chance’

??

Agreed. Is it harsh of me to say that I wouldn't be too bothered if Kalas for one didn't come back and we could use these more. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Agreed. Is it harsh of me to say that I wouldn't be too bothered if Kalas for one didn't come back and we could use these more. 

Worked well against a footballing side like Swansea but perhaps it wouldn't against a big side.

Zak was great today but tends not to engage enough when marking bigger, more aggressive players imo.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, RedM said:

If we are ever going to build something here we need to make some big decisions 

Its whether fans accept that younger / inexperienced players will blow hot and cold and results and team performances will remain inconsistent ,in exchange  for the longer view / greater good 

Richard Gould made it clear at FF  that the days of us chucking money around willy nilly are the past

My favourite thing said there was NP explaining Mangers under pressure or intent on keeping their job make (understandably) selections and recruitment to do that , whereas basically he’s not over bothered if he gets replaced so can make decisions based on the longer term benefit 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Worked well against a footballing side like Swansea but perhaps it wouldn't against a big side.

Zak was great today but tends not to engage enough when marking bigger, more aggressive players imo.

Think this is a fair point  (probably !)  but neither duck a physical and showed they are fighting for a place 

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I said before the game when the lineups were announced that I fancied Vyner to play centrally & thought he’d be the vocal organiser. I watched him closely first half & he didn’t stop talking to Pring & Tanner, he really stepped up to the plate. I actually thought that was the most organised I’ve seen us at the back, against a team that will try & pull you about. Has been having a good season so far, but today stepped up another level. COYR 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Thought Tanner actually looked brighter going forward from RCB than he ever has done at RB/RWB.

There were spells when Tanner/Sykes and Pring/Dasilva seemed to keep switching positions. I was a bit worried they’d get it wrong and leave Vyner very exposed, but it seemed to work.

Tanner certainly got more decent crosses in first 15 minutes than Sykes manages in 90 some games. I’d like to see him given a run at RWB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

He was so vocal today. Always pointing, always shouting, always in command. I didn’t have him pegged as a leader, but he absolutely was today. Be interesting to see if he does that when Naismith, Kalas etc are back but superb today.

• Like 8

Brilliant again today! I’ve noticed throughout the season he’s been one of the more vocal players in the side. If he's still at the club in a couple years time and carries on performing and improving the way he is I could actually see him captaining the side when the older crop of players move on. 

Thought both Tanner and Pring were excellent as well. Considering the form Swansea have been on and the changes we had to make I see it as a point gained rather than two dropped. Well done lads! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was so vocal today. Always pointing, always shouting, always in command. I didn’t have him pegged as a leader, but he absolutely was today. Be interesting to see if he does that when Naismith, Kalas etc are back but superb today.

He had a lot of responsibility today and didn`t let us down, I`m one of those who doesn`t `get` the grief he gets on here sometimes, he`s been no worse than others and better in many games. OK, he`s never going to be the main man in defence for Burnley or Norwich but he`ll do for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Thought Tanner actually looked brighter going forward from RCB than he ever has done at RB/RWB.

Me too, at RB / RWB he is quite in-adventurous. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He had a lot of responsibility today and didn`t let us down, I`m one of those who doesn`t `get` the grief he gets on here sometimes, he`s been no worse than others and better in many games. OK, he`s never going to be the main man in defence for Burnley or Norwich but he`ll do for me.

Said at 14:00 his big a game it was for him.  By 14:30 it took on more importance.

This is a player who is always available, tries his hardest.  He deserves a bit more credit generally.  He’s getting it in spades tonight. Well done Zak.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think, aside from everything else, Vyner deserves immense credit for his attitude and character. At the end of last season and going into the summer, his career here looked to be over and - whilst we don't know for sure - it's very easy to believe that he is only still at the club because we couldn't secure/afford a replacement and has only had a chance at all due to injuries to other players. 

He's really seized the moment and turned himself from someone with a foot out the door to a virtual (perhaps actual - can't quite rememeber?) ever-present. 

Realistically Kalas' salary and injury history makes it difficult to plan on him next season. Vyner is starting to show that he's not just someone who can fill in for the moment but could actually be central to planning ahead without Kalas. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

There were spells when Tanner/Sykes and Pring/Dasilva seemed to keep switching positions. I was a bit worried they’d get it wrong and leave Vyner very exposed, but it seemed to work.

Tanner certainly got more decent crosses in first 15 minutes than Sykes manages in 90 some games. I’d like to see him given a run at RWB

Totally agree, not been sure previously that Tanner could play RWB, convinced he can now.

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think, aside from everything else, Vyner deserves immense credit for his attitude and character. At the end of last season and going into the summer, his career here looked to be over and - whilst we don't know for sure - it's very easy to believe that he is only still at the club because we couldn't secure/afford a replacement and has only had a chance at all due to injuries to other players. 

He's really seized the moment and turned himself from someone with a foot out the door to a virtual (perhaps actual - can't quite rememeber?) ever-present. 

Realistically Kalas' salary and injury history makes it difficult to plan on him next season. Vyner is starting to show that he's not just someone who can fill in for the moment but could actually be central to planning ahead without Kalas. 

Spot on & I know I’ve said this before, but he has an incredible availability record.

Didn’t miss a single game in the pandemic season, the only CB available for every one so far this.

As a relatively cheap (in wages terms), versatile squad option he’s making a very strong case to be kept around.

• Like 5