IGNORED

Zak Vyner - well played son.

The Constant Rabbit

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Worked well against a footballing side like Swansea but perhaps it wouldn't against a big side.

Zak was great today but tends not to engage enough when marking bigger, more aggressive players imo.

We all know Zak is prone to the odd lapse in concentration but I would say, overall, he has been our most reliable defender this season. Outstanding today.

• Like 8

Solid and reliable again today. We know he can play football and that role seemed to suit him today.
That central 3 will not be first choice against a Millwall type team, but today against a passing , possession based team I thought all 3 were excellent. Sykes was a little better than he has been which helped the right hand side, Pring slotted into the Atkinson role seamlessly which meant the balance was there. Biggest praise I can give Vyner and the rest, they didn't look any worse than any set up we have had this year.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know Zak is prone to the odd lapse in concentration but I would say, overall, he has been our most reliable defender this season. Outstanding today.

I agree, my point was a concern about how he might handle a player like McBurnie in the absence of someone like Klose or Kalas.

29 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agree, my point was a concern about how he might handle a player like McBurnie in the absence of someone like Klose or Kalas.

Oh yeah, he cant play central of the three every week against all comers but he’s had a great game today. Given the stick he gets from a few on here it’s only fair to give credit where it’s due.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think, aside from everything else, Vyner deserves immense credit for his attitude and character. At the end of last season and going into the summer, his career here looked to be over and - whilst we don't know for sure - it's very easy to believe that he is only still at the club because we couldn't secure/afford a replacement and has only had a chance at all due to injuries to other players. 

He's really seized the moment and turned himself from someone with a foot out the door to a virtual (perhaps actual - can't quite rememeber?) ever-present. 

Realistically Kalas' salary and injury history makes it difficult to plan on him next season. Vyner is starting to show that he's not just someone who can fill in for the moment but could actually be central to planning ahead without Kalas. 

Too many football fans believe that if an Academy product isn't at the top of his game by 20 years, they'll never be able to make it.

I keep repeating on here that Gordon Parr, one of our best defenders in the last seven decades, didn't become a regular fixture until he was around 25/26 years of age. Having seen him and been impressed with him, as an 18 year old in the Under 23's, nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Zak be a rock in central defender for years to come.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Swede said:

I thought Vyner was excellent. Continually voicing his opinion and organising Pring & Tanner. All three were solid. 

They were, and I'd also like to give a shout out to Matty James who was quietly efficient and stopping attacks through the middle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Too many football fans believe that if an Academy product isn't at the top of his game by 20 years, they'll never be able to make it.

I keep repeating on here that Gordon Parr, one of our best defenders in the last seven decades, didn't become a regular fixture until he was around 25/26 years of age. Having seen him and been impressed with him, as an 18 year old in the Under 23's, nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Zak be a rock in central defender for years to come.

I a sure he will be, especially if he can become even half as 'hard' as Gordon Parr was.

I'm glad he's finally showing a little consistency, today he was superb but I can't help but think if everyone was fit that I wouldn't rather give Tanner a run at RCB as he looked solid and played like him and Sykes had been a unit for years. The way Tanner and Sykes could inter change effortlessly was really beneficial to creating on the right hand side. 

Either way, if Vyner can continue these kinds of performances when Naismith and Co are fit then we may actually see some solid defending. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Could Vyner’s responsibility to organise others be the reason why he had such a good game himself? ie: by ensuring those around him didn’t miss anything, he didn’t miss anything himself.

This, and if you're in the middle, you're going to be offering cover for the two other centre halves rather than a usually absent right wing back. Even if Zak doesn't get another contract offer here, he's doing enough to get a decent one somewhere else - say top six side League one upward.

What I like about him is that he doesn't shirk responsibility, and does try to move the team forward when he can.

• Robin 1