IGNORED

Max O' Leary

MrRedRobin

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like that is the plan if Max can make himself no1 over Bentley.  Until this batch of games I’ve been totally happy with my view that Bents is the better keeper, but Max is changing my mind.  He appears to be a “different” keeper in this spell, much more confident and decisive. Really hope he takes his chance.

Perhaps he`s had a look at himself and realised that this is, realistically, probably his last chance to establish himself as a Championship regular. The arrival of Bajic has no doubt focussed his mind a bit and he now realises that, even if DB does leave, he`s not automatically going to be promoted to No. 1 without proving he can do it.

If that results in us gaining a good keeper then I`m all for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

I would add he also looked at his performance last season and looked at what he did well and not so well . For me , he has showed shot stopping that his previous spell did not . Strangely as I had seen better from him . This time he has been much more positive , punches , catches and very vocal . Pearson was applauding him many times yesterday and so were his team mates . His distribution and speed of distribution are also steps up . I like Bents a lot , but Max is showing better overall skills right now . Credit to him and the coaches as Bents will not be here next season , maybe not after Jan . 

I agree. He does look a better all round keeper this time. Long may it continue.

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

His distribution and speed of distribution are also steps up

That is quite a difference from the past imho.  Although he was technically good with his feet, I always felt he wasn’t quite switched on to the pace of the game.  By the time he’d made his mind up to pass, opposition strikers were ahead of him, and he could sometimes put his teammates in trouble by delaying that odd second or so.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I would add he also looked at his performance last season and looked at what he did well and not so well . For me , he has showed shot stopping that his previous spell did not . Strangely as I had seen better from him . This time he has been much more positive , punches , catches and very vocal . Pearson was applauding him many times yesterday and so were his team mates . His distribution and speed of distribution are also steps up . I like Bents a lot , but Max is showing better overall skills right now . Credit to him and the coaches as Bents will not be here next season , maybe not after Jan . 

I've been a supporter for a while, thought he did well in his first spell and that game at Villa was ridiculous .
His run last year where he, or rather we, conceded loads. I thought he was only at fault for one. There does seem to be a more confident look to him, and he does seem more vocal. I've always thought he was better with balls into the area, including back passes. 
Bentley is decent , but he has issues with crosses . OOC in the summer, I hope we could sell him in Jan purely for financial reasons . But also it must be why we signed Bajic. I don't think we lose anything by max playing , and in certain ways he improves the side and is possibly a better all round keeper. 
Not sure we will get much for Bentley, maybe do a deal towards a CB ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Bentley is decent , but he has issues with crosses . OOC in the summer, I hope we could sell him in Jan purely for financial reasons . But also it must be why we signed Bajic. I don't think we lose anything by max playing , and in certain ways he improves the side and is possibly a better all round keeper. 
Not sure we will get much for Bentley, maybe do a deal towards a CB ?

We’d get absolutely nothing.

Who is buying a player in January for a fee when they can get him for free in the summer?

I think distribution is the key, I don't think there is much to choose between the goalkeepers in the Championship and possibly only 3 or 4 that stand out in the Premier League when it comes to shot stopping and commanding the area, so it's that additional ability to start moves or spot an early opportunity that makes the difference.

I can't quantify this, but it seemed to me on Saturday that the players were more alert to the idea that Max would look for them quickly if they made themselves available, there seemed to be more animation than when Bents gets the ball. 

What I have seen of the U20's games Bajic is even more keen to move the ball quickly, and again the outfield players seemed to have picked up on that.

If Pearson is hoping to find a new Kaspar Schmeichel though, we could have a long wait. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We’d get absolutely nothing.

Who is buying a player in January for a fee when they can get him for free in the summer?

As Dave said, wages would make a difference. Plus you never now in January , it is the desperation window . 
Also in the summer, on a free, there would be competition. If someone wants him, better to pay a (small) fee now and get him, that to be open to a bidding war in the summer. 

Of course, a wage bidding war would probably suit Bentley , so noting will be easy.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

As Dave said, wages would make a difference. Plus you never now in January , it is the desperation window . 
Also in the summer, on a free, there would be competition. If someone wants him, better to pay a (small) fee now and get him, that to be open to a bidding war in the summer. 

Of course, a wage bidding war would probably suit Bentley , so noting will be easy.

Admire your optimism!

Totally get the advantage for us of removing him from wage bill but not sure who the market is for a relatively (by Championship standards now), high wage keeper who won’t have been a first choice for at least 15 games by then.

Don’t see many sides seeing him as the essential signing they need to make to reach the playoffs, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Admire your optimism!

Totally get the advantage for us of removing him from wage bill but not sure who the market is for a relatively (by Championship standards now), high wage keeper who won’t have been a first choice for at least 15 games by then.

Don’t see many sides seeing him as the essential signing they need to make to reach the playoffs, etc.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be top end clubs but he is better than that current first choice keeper for West Brom, Coventry, Wigan, Stoke, Hull and Cardiff at least.  

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Doesn’t necessarily have to be top end clubs but he is better than that current first choice keeper for West Brom, Coventry, Wigan, Stoke, Hull and Cardiff at least.  

He is, so I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him eventually end up at one of these, but do anyone of them have the funds & need to buy him in January when he’s a free transfer in June?

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Admire your optimism!

There is another option. There are a lot of experienced keepers warming the benches of Prem clubs. Some interesting signings have been made over the years. He cops be seen as a cheap 2nd choice for someone.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Big signing on fees are no longer the norm for OOC players…not below PL anyway.

It depends on the player and demand.  We were able to offer Naismith one by all accounts and that helped get it done.  Bentley will have competition for his signature I reckon so think he can command one.  £300k for a good Championship keeper is a bargain. 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It depends on the player and demand.  We were able to offer Naismith one by all accounts and that helped get it done.  Bentley will have competition for his signature I reckon so think he can command one.  £300k for a good Championship keeper is a bargain. 

Naismith - I doubt it was in the magnitude of the figs quoted above though!

Bentley - £300k would be at the sacrifice of wages, which has no real benefit does it?

16 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If Max had cost us a point this thread would have been commented on 3 hours ago. Won us a point today. Well done lad 

The save first half where the Boro FW hit an early left foot shot towards the near post, was amazing.

I so hope he continues this form.  Could save us a fortune.  Personally I didn’t think he’d get beyond a Champ no2, but at 26 he’s now entering his peak years.  More than happy that he’s proving to be better than I thought.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The save first half where the Boro FW hit an early left foot shot towards the near post, was amazing.

I so hope he continues this form.  Could save us a fortune.  Personally I didn’t think he’d get beyond a Champ no2, but at 26 he’s now entering his peak years.  More than happy that he’s proving to be better than I thought.

Echo this. I thought the poor games he had last season were a demonstration of his potential. He's proving that wrong. That's good.

• Like 2

I've always been a big fan of Bentley & I really hadn't seen anything in Max to think he'd be up to a first team spot, bar emergency need, & that he really needed to be on an L1 loan to try & develop. 

Hats off to the guy! Since he's come in recently, he has done really well & yesterday he was heroic in earning us a point. 

Well done Max, you were fantastic yesterday & are deserving to keep your place in the team right now & performances like yesterday should fill him with all the confidence he needs to keep getting better & better. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Makes the Lincoln selection interesting, I was convinced it would be used to start the introduction of Bajic but to me it makes no sense now taking Max out the team even for a cup game.

Confidence and performance is high, let the lad play!

Max is no longer a young kid coming through. He's had a couple of runs, he's had loans and now it feels like he's No.1. That makes me think that it is a good time to blood Bajic, he's been ready for a while and he can't be learning much at U23 level.
I've heard good things about him from various sources , so it just makes sense to give him a run.
Maybe 45 minutes each with him and Bentley.