IGNORED

Max O' Leary

MrRedRobin

Was very good at commanding his area today.

Hope he will be able to keep it up.

No actual saves to make today but came out a few times to claim the ball.

In previous games has been solid apart from that little misunderstanding between him and Kalas. (Whether it was his fault or not I don't know)
Keep it up Max ?.

• Like 19

Bentley Vs Max as shot stopper is open to question.
Bentley Vs Max 1V1, I lean to Bents.
When it comes to crosses, commanding his area and distribution I've always thought Max was better.
I thought he was very good today, claimed what he could, punched what he couldn't claim and was quick off of his line. Very decisive when he needed to be.

• Like 2

This is Max’s best spell in the team…ever.  It’s only 5 games, but at this point he appears to have grasped the nettle.  Maybe he finally is thinking like a no1?  Maybe he can genuinely see it’s his shirt, not just a stop gap.

I’m not a huge fan of his distribution, but he seems up to speed with the game in this spell.

I hope he continues this progress / form.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is Max’s best spell in the team…ever.  It’s only 5 games, but at this point he appears to have grasped the nettle.  Maybe he finally is thinking like a no1?  Maybe he can genuinely see it’s his shirt, not just a stop gap.

I’m not a huge fan of his distribution, but he seems up to speed with the game in this spell.

There was one superb ping to Sykes first half that had he controlled we were in tbf. Agree with the point that he has to think and believe like a No.1 keeper. That’s the key, he needs to add that arrogance that says it’s my shirt and back it up with continued good performances like todays.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I've always said he's never felt like the long term answer, just waiting for that mistake and then Bentley would be back in.

However, like you said something feels a bit different this time, seems to be an extra level of confidence there. No idea what conversations have happened behind the scenes but maybe he's been told it's his spot until the World Cup so make a claim for the first game after 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He's certainly an upgrade distribution wise on Bents though in my eyes.

Hits the players with a much better accuracy, alongside not having that annoying back spin to every ball thay Bents seems to kick.

This causes the kick to hang in the area a lot longer, and be significantly less effective 

• Like 3

Another along with the likes of Vyner that some of our fans are happy to put the “not a championship player” tag on them.

I don’t get what’s hard to understand about a player not only training every day but also playing regular championship football that there’s a pretty good chance they’ll Improve. 

Maybe they won’t improve enough maybe they’ll improve so much they’ll be premier league players. But to just write them off after a handful of games like that’s as good as they’ll ever be seems so odd to me. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The two that impressed me were the claim at the back post when he came a long way to do so & the calm header when he was well out of his area.

They didn’t exactly put him under much pressure but his handling was very steady today.

I stand to be corrected but I think Max started out as a CB.

Had a decent game today and I for one found the way Max distributed the ball much less stressful than watching us play out from the six yard box, I know it’s the modern way but it puts me on edge every time.

The key stat for me is that “shot stopping liner” Bentley has conceded 21 goals in 13 league games whereas Max who isn’t as good a shot stopper (Bentley is a very good shot stopper tbf) but is far more willing to put his cock on the block and get amongst the high balls has conceded 6 in 5. There’s more than one way to skin a cat and if you come out and catch crosses or punch them away and do it well then there is often not as much that needs saving!!

Not saying Max has “arrived” yet but I would argue that with our obvious lack of aerial domination at the back the team is better defensively for having a positive keeper over a liner. Whether it is Max, Bagic or A N Other that is what we need right now.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Both goalkeeper's stats so far this season.

Screenshot_20221030-113149.png

Screenshot_20221030-113058.png

A Lee Johnson spreadsheet if ever I saw one. Get those percentiles up on Power Point and add the "Bomb Alley Co-Efficient" and I think they've nailed it. The stat that really matters, ultimately, is Goals Against. I am guarded using stats as the sole basis of argument as sample sizes vary, they often only tell the picture at the moment in time, and they rarely add context. You have to do that yourself. A Goalkeeper could have great stats in a dominant team where his work is relatively easy (you could have a save record of 92% comprising mainly of pea rollers and you hardly get a difficult shot to save like Swansea's goal yesterday) but put that same keeper behind our back three and the "percentiles" might change dramatically. However, you can reasonably compare stats from keepers at the same club because the variables are very similar to both keepers - same players in front of them, same style of play, same method of defending corners and set pieces, same team strengths and weaknesses etc. etc.

For those who love stats the current difference between the two relates to 19-20 goals per season - how many additional points might that be? Interestingly the current stats for Crosses Stopped and Defensive Actions Outside the Penalty Area seem to back up what Pearson is saying about Max's positivity in comparison to Bentley but also back up those who say Bentley is a better shot stopper. This ultimately proves the point that for all the stats and spreadsheets what we see with our own eyes is often what the stats are also saying. However, that's also why scouts exist in addition to scouting reports - someone needs to physically check that what the stats are saying is real.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

If Max  can establish himself as our No 1, and this French kiddie is as good as has been reported, getting Bents off the books next summer opens the possibility of bringing in a quality outfield player.

Looks like that is the plan if Max can make himself no1 over Bentley.  Until this batch of games I’ve been totally happy with my view that Bents is the better keeper, but Max is changing my mind.  He appears to be a “different” keeper in this spell, much more confident and decisive. Really hope he takes his chance.

• Like 5