IGNORED

Sky Interview with Nige

Davefevs

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

A key issue is who will succeed Gould as CEO. I wonder how much input NP will have on that.

Gould and Marshall are conducting the search.

The rumour when Gould was appointed was that Nige wanted Bevington, so he didn’t get his way on that one though. 

Edited by Davefevs

4 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

You can’t just buy a certain type of player, drop them into the team and expect success. You need to move the squad as a whole over time. To use a clumsy analogy, it’s like getting a cricket ball to swing.  It doesn’t happen straight away, you’ve got to put the work it and shape it.

The next question is: do we really want to be playing a big, physical style of football?

Surely every signing is an element of dropping them into the team and expecting success,,, albeit with scouting and identifying the right players. With the bajic transfer im sure the club put out they wanted a young talented keeper to come in with a view to challenging for a first team spot… we will have to wait and see how he does, but if we know we are weak defending set pieces, then a big powerful keeper who can dominate the area would seem an important characteristic,,,, as far as i know this isn’t necessarily bajics main strength? Likewise, we got wilson and tanner in, but then brought in a good ball player in sykes to play as wingback. He can play obviously but is going to help us stop conceding from set pieces? Not really? Naysmith doesnt really either,, he will have been offered a decent contract here,, could that have been spent on another free agent big centre back in the baker style?

we might not want to be recognised as a hoofball team, but most championship sides give us trouble from set pieces and being able to defend them hasnt been a priority, and we arent going to get far until we are bigger and stronger to be able to deal with it better.

Edited by Simon bristol

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Surely every signing is an element of dropping them into the team and expecting success,,, albeit with scouting and identifying the right players. With the bajic transfer im sure the club put out they wanted a young talented keeper to come in with a view to challenging for a first team spot… we will have to wait and see how he does, but if we know we are weak defending set pieces, then a big powerful keeper who can dominate the area would seem an important characteristic,,,, as far as i know this isn’t necessarily bajics main strength? Likewise, we got wilson and tanner in, but then brought in a good ball player in sykes to play as wingback. He can play obviously but is going to help us stop conceding from set pieces? Not really? Naysmith doesnt really either,, he will have been offered a decent contract here,, could that have been spent on another free agent big centre back in the baker style?

we might not want to be recognised as a hoofball team, but most championship sides give us trouble from set pieces and being able to defend them hasnt been a priority, and we arent going to get far until we are bigger and stronger to be able to deal with it better.

With Bajic it looks like his agent met Kalifa Cisse at a “Transfer Room” conference, and it went from there.

Here’s the video.

https://www.transferroom.com/customer-stories/agents/classico-sports-management

Cisse has linked up with a number of French clubs.

19 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting article. Some of the quotes are from the Fans Forum, or at least the author clearly watched that as well as interviewing Pearson directly. If you've watched the Fans Forum then there's not too much truly new here.

One bit interested me though: “You need a couple who are – not wrong uns – but highly strung ones. You need mavericks.” An Anthony Knockaert? A Riyad Mahrez? “A Jamie Vardy,” he adds. “Otherwise, it is boring.

Do we have a Knockaert, Mahrez or Vardy type? From a personality side maybe Kalas? From a skill/flair side maybe..Scott? But no he's not really fitting that bill for me.

Is this something we're missing in order to get to that next level?

When I watch Nige speak, I think he thinks that Semenyo is that player. 

He’s gone a bit off the boil recently, but when you see Nigel say Semenyo in an interview, there’s always a little grin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Finding the big athletes that can also play, you're right, that's the hardest. It doesn't have to be that way though, Scott is a good example of a player who uses his physicality well, he might be smaller but he has worked out that if you hit someone in the right place it can be just as effective, the much maligned Dasilva is similar. Then you have the gentle giants like Taylor Moore.

Some of the others need to watch or try some judo.

No idea if we were really in for him on the summer of 2019 but I do wonder how different things would have been if we had signed Kieffer Moore ahead of Wigan rather than spending months chasing the Nketiah who never came…

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

No idea if we were really in for him on the summer of 2019 but I do wonder how different things would have been if we had signed Kieffer Moore ahead of Wigan rather than spending months chasing the Nketiah who never came…

I’m guessing LJ wasn’t after another big’un.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You may be right but I honestly think he was what we needed to play off Eliasson, Weimann and our 567 attacking midfielders…

Someone told me LJ signed Palmer to feed Nketiah…and LJ was furious we missed out on him.

Don't forget we had Diedhiou at the time.

???

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Someone told me LJ signed Palmer to feed Nketiah…and LJ was furious we missed out on him.

???

I find that plausible but I also think it was symptomatic of the “clubs in the bag” approach that felt quite incoherent. Moore and Diedhiou might not have played together often but would have meant we had two forwards that fitted the same system and could have covered each other off the bench or allowed us to adjust for injury without ripping up the plan. 

Plus, if we signed a player who we felt only worked if we play him with another player we had not signed then we got what we deserved.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I find that plausible but I also think it was symptomatic of the “clubs in the bag” approach that felt quite coherent. Moore and Diedhiou might not have played together often but would have meant we had two forwards that fitted the same system and could have covered each other off the bench or allowed us to adjust for injury without ripping up the plan. 

Plus, if we signed a player who we felt only worked if we play him with another player we had not signed then we got what we deserved.

Funnily enough I remember Fam partnering Djuric v Brum (h) and we played quite direct.  Joe Bryan played RB!!  Both played really well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, headhunter said:

Excellent interview and this paragraph summed up why as a club aren't where we should be:

“I just felt it was a nice club, nice people, nice this and that, lovely city. Everything was nice. We needed to be more street-wise, have more of a competitive edge to us. We can still be a welcoming club but we also need to be a club that other teams don’t like playing.”

Could be our new identity.

Bristol City - "an iron fist in a velvet glove" 

The hospitable club that packs a mighty punch.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

???

C'mon Dave, I know Nketiah was young, but surely he was old enough to feed himself.

He didn't need to be spoon-fed by Nanny McPalmer.

But there could be something in what you say.

Nketiah did spend an awful lot of time running up and down the touchline, wearing a bib.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think there is another side to this as well. I have always thought there was a section of fans who are too close to the club and see it as "their club" I don't mean in the way most of the fans think of it, but almost like we are some little local league team, and that they should have some sort of say in how things are done. It's something that Harry Dolman referred to in his journals and I don't think it's really changed much. He said that there were complete outsiders turning up at Board Meetings, Harry had to almost become a dictator to get the club moving forward.

Of course we should have overall view of how things are progressing, but sometimes it feels that there are some who think the club should be run by and for them, and that's not how a professional football club works.

This is so bang on.