IGNORED

It’s so obvious why does Nige get it wrong.

Better Red

I thought we played well tonight and we were actually the better team so this is not about the game tonight.

Also to be clear I like NP and I am not asking for a change in manager but..

5 Simple mistakes that I am not sure why he keeps making.

I also think he is now costing us points.

1. Nakhi Wells needs to stay on the pitch when we are chasing a goal. Effort is brilliant, team contribution is brilliant and a goal scorer at this level. Bringing on Sam Bell Saturday for him was a crazy decision and taking him off tonight was equally as bad.

2. Chris Martin should never be brought on when we are chasing a goal.
Slows game down. We go long and lose our pattern and shape up front literally kills any chance of a goal.

I would happily let him go on a free in Jan and pay some of his wages just to get someone else in.

3 Sykes is not a wing back - I think Tanner would be better

4 JD is not a wing back - Pring would be better.

Seen enough in the last 2 games re 4 and 5 to think both would do a better job. Delivery has been poor from both most games and Skye’s could be better used as a sub in a more forward position. Both Tanner and Pring are also better defenders than both.

We also played Scott there which was ridiculous to waste him in that position when clearly needs to play in the central role in Midfield.

Wilson never got a chance and he is a natural wingback again madness.

Wiemann played there tonight - that is also ridiculous.

Nige has to sort out wingbacks it’s a problem he has had all season.

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.
I know controversial but Bentley makes game saving saves. Max has not done to bad in fairness but I also don’t think he has had a lot to do at the same time.

Bentley will win you points Max has not done that for me when he has played.

We need to get points at the moment and Bentley will win you  more than Max. Maybe this is about his contract but I think it’s costing us points.

Again not about tonight as thought we were good value for at least a point if not all three.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I thought we played well tonight and we were actually the better team so this is not about the game tonight.

1. Nakhi Wells needs to stay on the pitch when we are chasing a goal. Effort is brilliant, team contribution is brilliant and a goal scorer at this level. Bringing on Sam Bell Saturday for him was a crazy decision and taking him off tonight was equally as bad.

Slows game down. We go long and lose our pattern and shape up front literally kills any chance of a goal.

I would happily let him go on a free in Jan and pay some of his wages just to get someone else in.

Seen enough in the last 2 games re 4 and 5 to think both would do a better job. Delivery has been poor from both most games and Skye’s could be better used as a sub in a more forward position. Both Tanner and Pring are also better defenders than both.

We also played Scott there which was ridiculous to waste him in that position when clearly needs to play in the central role in Midfield.

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.
I know controversial but Bentley makes game saving saves. Max has not done to bad in fairness but I also don’t think he has had a lot to do at the same time.

We need to get points at the moment and Bentley will win you  more than Max. Maybe this is about his contract but I think it’s costing us points.

Again not about tonight as thought we were good value for at least a point if not all three.

Mmm you are wrong on 4 of those points, I’d probably agree on Martin and that’s about it. 

You don’t know how much Wells had been affected by the bug going around, he was due to be at the forum on the Thurs and was replaced by Tinnion, so it was clear he’d been suffering from it.

Wilson is injured and out until the new year I think, and Wiemann was shifted over tonight to bring Semenyo on.

On Bentley, he can stop a shot, but we look much more comfortable at set pieces with a more mobile keeper like O’Leary there.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

We also look a lot more comfortable passing across the back 3 with Max there. In fact Max makes it a 4 and enables one of the three to move forward.

Agree about Martin though. Tonight was a prime example. Sheff Utd go one up and their game plan from there on in is to disrupt the game, break up our patterns and our forward movement. And bringing on Martin did exactly that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

With your expertise , and as a UEFA A Licence holder maybe you could take England at the WC , and then pop back after Christmas to take the reigns at Ashton Gate

Maybe take a few dials back on the arrogance though 

Maybe you could just offer an opinion….

Thanks for the compliment though it’s appreciated. 

Arrogance - it’s just a few simple thoughts

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, Better Red said:

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.

Agreed with everything you said except for the Bentley for max Bentley cant deal with crosses dont command his six yard box thats why hes still here .

6 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Maybe you could just offer an opinion….

Thanks for the compliment though it’s appreciated. 

Arrogance - it’s just a few simple thoughts

No if you blindly support NP you are allowed to be a patronising dick. If you question anything about him you are deemed unworthy of your opinion. 

Don’t mind him. He’s been backing NP so long he can’t go back and times are getting rough for him. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Agreed with everything you said except for the Bentley for max Bentley cant deal with crosses dont command his six yard box thats why hes still here .

Problem is Max is equally as bad, if not worse, than Bentley for commanding his area. Bentley is by far the superior keeper out the two. It’s the French lad I think we all pinning our hopes on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Problem is Max is equally as bad, if not worse, than Bentley for commanding his area. Bentley is by far the superior keeper out the two. It’s the French lad I think we all pinning our hopes on!

Yeh hope the french kid is the answer long term Bents good shot stopper but doesnt come off his line ie Birmingham away .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Better Red said:

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.

You made some good points until you got to the goalkeepers,

Bentley is not the great keeper you make him out to be , he is nailed on to make at least one mistake a game that leads to a goal often more,

He's just a shot stopper, Max is someone who actually controls his box and comes for crosses , you can see how much more happy the defence are with Max behind them as they know he will actually come and help not just say on his line, no for me Max is an upgrade on Bentley,

You made some good points until you got to the goalkeepers,

Bentley is not the great keeper you make him out to be , he is nailed on to make at least one mistake a game that leads to a goal often more,

He's just a shot stopper, Max is someone who actually controls his box and comes for crosses , you can see how much more happy the defence are with Max behind them as they know he will actually come and help not just say on his line, no for me Max is an upgrade on Bentley,

• Like 4

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

Bentley is not the great keeper you make him out to be , he is nailed on to make at least one mistake a game that leads to a goal often more,

He's just a shot stopper, Max is someone who actually controls his box and comes for crosses , you can see how much more happy the defence are with Max behind them as they know he will actually come and help not just say on his line, no for me Max is an upgrade on Bentley,

Sorry but that’s just nonsense, nowhere near a mistake a game.

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

With your expertise , and as a UEFA A Licence holder maybe you could take England at the WC , and then pop back after Christmas to take the reigns at Ashton Gate

Maybe take a few dials back on the arrogance though 

Imagine coming on to a Bristol City forum and then getting upset when someone has an opinion on Bristol City ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Some valid points from the OP regarding wing backs, we dont have any recognised wingers (this is another issue which needs addressing as we have no backup plan or ability to try something different when chasing a game) so NP perseveres with this system/formation. Yet JD and Sykes (especially in recent games) do not have the ability to get past a man and put a successful ball into the box, and we have this terrible defensive record which speaks volumes.

We have tried changing players and literally gone through every possible scenario but still something isn't right.

I cannot fathom why NP is so reluctant to try something else like 433, or 4312 as im sure a midfield 3 of James, Willams and Scott would really start to dominate games for us and allow us to play some nice attractive football on the ground which AGAIN suits our smaller nippy strikers. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, winsaw said:

Haven’t seen it back but surely Max should come and do much better for the goal last night?

Certainly wasn’t controlling his box?

7 hours ago, Malago said:

You don’t win if you don’t score.  It really is that simple.  

For the second match in a row we’ve been the better team and not got any  reward .

Our forwards are out of form particularly Weimann and Semenyo, although there were signs from both last night that they’re getting back into the swing of things. 
We are not far off being a very good side but the margins in this division are minuscule. We made a Sheff Utd side ,full of Prem and Championship quality , look poor.

We need to keep applying ourselves and hope that Lady Luck shines on us a little. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.

Only point there is the Martin point rest misguided 

9 hours ago, Better Red said:

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.

1) Agree to a point. Saturday Conway was blowing out of his arse, and Wells got subbed first, strange. Starting to look like Subs by numbers. Tonight , with no real option on the bench it did seem strange, as Wells didn't look like he was struggling.

2) We have no options other than Martin, but I would tell him stay central, he adds nothing to build up play, but can occupy a CB. We do need and upgrade, or alternative, but have no money.

3) Sykes, apart from a couple of times tonight , looks like he's struggling for confidence . He started the season like our best player, form has dipped but I thought he showed glimpses last night. Wilson would probably have got a run by now, if he wasn't injured. I like Tanner, but it seems Nige sees him as more FB than WB. Sykes has the shirt for the next couple of games whatever happens now.

4) Jay is technically good, can dribble and beat a man, in that respect he is a WB. His delivery is shocking though, TBF that could be said about everyone out there last night. I'm a fan of Pring, he brings more physicality , he's more direct and for the most part his delivery is better. Although last night it wasn't great and mostly from the wrong position.
I'd like to see Pring and Atkinson link up down the left.

5) Ha . Max has let in 2 goals in 2 games. One a firm shot deflected just in front of him and the other he jus has to spread himself. He hasn't had another difficult shot to save. He's claimed balls Bentley wouldn't come for, has connected with every punch he's come for and his distribution, though far from perfect is better than Bentley and he is far, far more vocal . He has done nothing to think Bentley would have done better.

All managers talk about fine margins and over the last 2 games, with better decisions last night we have a Pen & at least play 10 V 10. Saturday the keeper throws out an arm and deflects Semenyo's shot wide. At least we are making chances, and TBF we have kept it pretty tight at the back. One deflection, one offside and a little luck and we are looking at 2 great results against teams that will be challenging. 
Of course results are important , but the last 2 games show we can easily compete with the better side in this Division.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No if you blindly support NP you are allowed to be a patronising dick. If you question anything about him you are deemed unworthy of your opinion. 

Don’t mind him. He’s been backing NP so long he can’t go back and times are getting rough for him. 

I’d stick to baseball if I was you 

Not getting rough for me at all , I’m enjoying what Pearson is trying to do 

But then I’ve seen a lot more over the years than the whine brigade

I’m not a whining.....  ‘I want, I want  and I want it now....wahhhhhhh’

The most amusing thing is that some  of  the loudest whiners do it from their armchairs at home - Try reading back a  Match Day thread , they are easy to spot every game , and are prolific , but haven’t seen Ashton Gate for years , or decades 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Imagine coming on to a Bristol City forum and then getting upset when someone has an opinion on Bristol City ?

It’s not the opinion , it’s the ‘ so obvious ‘ where Nigel Pearson gets it all wrong

Thats from somebody who has probably never coached or managed a football team in his life , ...except on FIFA 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have this with friends that if you criticise or question Nige then then instantly become very defensive.  Its like they are members of some Nigel Pearson cult as they won’t accept that he ever gets it wrong.

it’s a fine line as a couple of positive results then it would even be a discussion.  I’m still prepared to give him time and was very impressed by him at the forum & recent sky interview.  However, he isn’t perfect and we still leak goals and has signed numerous defenders to make us difficult to beat.  I acknowledge that going forward we have been good but we cannot keep relying on us scoring 2 or 3 goals to wing games as we are finding.  His subs are also very questionable.

Keep offering opinions as that what forums are for & at the end of the day it’s a results business and we are sliding towards the bottom.  A win ratio of 30% deserves to be questioned & rightly so as despite the financial backdrop it’s not good enough.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’d stick to baseball if I was you 

Not getting rough for me at all , I’m enjoying what Pearson is trying to do 

But then I’ve seen a lot more over the years than the whine brigade

I’m not a whining.....  ‘I want, I want  and I want it now....wahhhhhhh’

The most amusing thing is that some  of  the loudest whiners do it from their armchairs at home - Try reading back a  Match Day thread , they are easy to spot every game , and are prolific , but haven’t seen Ashton Gate for years , or decades 

I have been to every game bar Blackpool WBA and Norwich. I’d like a competent manager now yea. Building something special with scraping survival end of the first season. Would be scraping survival second season and just above relegation spots a third into his third season. 

47 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I have this with friends that if you criticise or question Nige then then instantly become very defensive.  Its like they are members of some Nigel Pearson cult as they won’t accept that he ever gets it wrong.

it’s a fine line as a couple of positive results then it would even be a discussion.  I’m still prepared to give him time and was very impressed by him at the forum & recent sky interview.  However, he isn’t perfect and we still leak goals and has signed numerous defenders to make us difficult to beat.  I acknowledge that going forward we have been good but we cannot keep relying on us scoring 2 or 3 goals to wing games as we are finding.  His subs are also very questionable.

Keep offering opinions as that what forums are for & at the end of the day it’s a results business and we are sliding towards the bottom.  A win ratio of 30% deserves to be questioned & rightly so as despite the financial backdrop it’s not good enough.

It is weird. My opinion has always been respected on here until I said NP doesn’t do it for me. Oh well it is my opinion and it is not changing. Hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Better Red said:

And finally

5. Playing Max in goal.

I think Max is far superior dealing with crosses, distributes the ball far better and the back line seems more calm in front of him. Considering the difference in wage,for me Max is the future and Bentley should be off in Jan or the end of the season as his wage could be better spent elsewhere in the team.

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have been to every game bar Blackpool WBA and Norwich. I’d like a competent manager now yea. Building something special with scraping survival end of the first season. Would be scraping survival second season and just above relegation spots a third into his third season. 

I wasn’t referring to you regarding going to games fwiw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have a leaning towards a 4-3-3 but that's just me but @brad blit it was none other than Sykes who out in the ball that DaSilva could/should have scored from.

More of that from both flanks would be welcome.

Yep thats very true, i was looking more at the last few games (as a whole) with a suggestion to improve the team going forward

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have a leaning towards a 4-3-3 but that's just me but @brad blit it was none other than Sykes who out in the ball that DaSilva could/should have scored from.

More of that from both flanks would be welcome.

I'd like a narrow front 3 of Semenyo on the left, Conway as the striker and Weimann on the right. Kind of like how Liverpool play.