IGNORED

The future is rosy

The Constant Rabbit

I have a friend that's a Swansea STH. They were a bit disappointed with a draw against us but after they watched us tonight they have since said looking back they are now delighted with the point from us. 

We're not far off being where we want to be. It's still frustrating that we are not quite there. It's just putting everything together consistently. 

• Like 5

All well & good but come the end of the season we’ll lose some of our best players, which halts the progress & we’re back to square one. There’s no way we keep Scott & Semenyo, very possible Conway interest & Wells OOC.

We have potential this season but it’s not transpiring into results & unless we go on an almighty run after the WC it will be more of the same.

Can’t fault the players efforts in most games but we really are a frustrating team.

• Like 6

Hmmm, Wigan in relegation place 3points behind us with 2 games in hand; Stoke just above them again 3pts behind and 2 games in hand also;

Middlesboro and Watford to face next and no change in giving games away that we should be drawing if not winning...........nope cant see to much rosey in the future just yet.

Yes we have the points in the bag but our lofty position could disappear in an instant, rose coloured glasses def not on just yet.

Re your last line; NP will have been here 2yrs in Feb and was brought here by the same person who brought those managers who "mismanaged" so lets see where we are in Feb 2yrs, must surely show some improvement in league position by then, hope for the future is just that hope.

Edited by gl2

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

Hmmm, Wigan in relegation place 3points behind us with 2 games in hand; Stoke just above them again 3pts behind and 2 games in hand also;

Middlesboro and Watford to face next and no change in giving games away that we should be drawing if not winning...........nope cant see to much rosey in the future just yet.

Yes we have the points in the bag but our lofty position could disappear in an instant, rose coloured glasses def not on just yet.

Re your last line; NP will have been here 2yrs in Feb and was brought here by the same person who brought those managers who "mismanaged" so lets see where we are in Feb 2yrs, must surely show some improvement in league position by then, hope for the future is just that hope.

I think when people talk about the future they're generally thinking a bit further out than a couple of games or even a couple of months that you seem to be!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

This season will be tough.

The injuries to players, the recent flu bout and the log-jam of games due to the death of the Queen, and now the World Cup will effect us more than some other sides due to our smallish squad.

We will stay up. Maybe not as comfortably as we should, but we will.

The last 2 games, despite the results, show we are improving rapidly.

Against Swansea - most other days we get the 3 points. We had the youngest back 3 I remember, and we took it right up to an almost full-strength Swansea side (who have been top 6 all season) and almost won. With half the 1st team regulars out at the last minute.

Last night - we should have won. No doubts in my mind.

Missed 2 easy chances, hit the woodwork twice, and dominated long periods of a game against a top 3 side.

We lost because of poor officiating.

No other reason.

Vyner was fouled by an offside player prior to their goal (below)

Capture.JPG.3ac9c0c3f0740b736dfaa9a45a680478.JPG

A clear penalty wasn't given (it certainly looked a pen on replay)

Inconsistent refereeing - easy straight red to Norwood for a horrendous tackle on Williams - gets nothing. Not even a yellow.

Tanner does a slightly worse foul for a deserved red, but no card for them?

The ref favoured them all night.

Most other weeks - we would have gotten 6 points.

We didn't.  The record books won't change.  

But the simple, undeniable fact is that we were playing good enough football to beat 2 top 6 championship teams with a very weakened, very young squad.

That for me is enough to say, despite where we may finish this year - the future is as bright as it has ever been.

NP is on the verge of creating something special. Very soon, I think all of you that doubt, will be delighted to say you were here when Bristol City finally made it to the Premier League.

The foundation is being laid for really good, sustainable long-term success.

We just need to be patient, and understand just how big a job NP is having to do to fix the mess left behind after decades of mismanagement.

"Gotten?" ... too many U.S. shows on Netflix ... anyway, that aside, Hallelujah brother:

Edited by The Original OTIB

56 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

"Gotten?" ... too many U.S. shows on Netflix ... anyway, that aside, Hallelujah brother:

‘Gotten’ is common in Middle English, and is an example of the US using older forms of words than we do.  The Victorians tried to ‘modernise’ English to distinguish it from American usage and words like ‘gotten’ were replaced.

Several other examples of the same (e.g. ‘fall’ being older than ‘autumn’).

…and let’s not forget that the American’s still use the oldest colloquial name for Association Football - ‘soccer’ - coined in England in the 19th century!  ?

4 hours ago, Jeez said:

All well & good but come the end of the season we’ll lose some of our best players, which halts the progress & we’re back to square one. There’s no way we keep Scott & Semenyo, very possible Conway interest & Wells OOC.

We have potential this season but it’s not transpiring into results & unless we go on an almighty run after the WC it will be more of the same.

Can’t fault the players efforts in most games but we really are a frustrating team.

I agree in regards to Scott and Semenyo, would be very surprised if either or both stay with us beyond this season. All we can do is hope and trust in the recruitment process.

We haven’t seen what Pearson is capable of in the transfer market if he has funds available so it will be interesting/exciting to see what is possible when the purse strings are relaxed.

Scott will be a big loss especially when he plays like last night he is unstoppable at times. Semenyo on the other hand isn’t going to be the huge loss many think he will IMO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘Gotten’ is common in Middle English, and is an example of the US using older forms of words than we do.  The Victorians tried to ‘modernise’ English to distinguish it from American usage and words like ‘gotten’ were replaced.

Several other examples of the same (e.g. ‘fall’ being older than ‘autumn’).

…and let’s not forget that the American’s still use the oldest colloquial name for Association Football - ‘soccer’ - coined in England in the 19th century!  ?

Forsooth, verily and a hey nonny nonny ... do you really think that people are using such words now from a high consumption of mediaeval poetry and Shakespeare? I think not.

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

I agree in regards to Scott and Semenyo, would be very surprised if either or both stay with us beyond this season. All we can do is hope and trust in the recruitment process.

We haven’t seen what Pearson is capable of in the transfer market if he has funds available so it will be interesting/exciting to see what is possible when the purse strings are relaxed.

Scott will be a big loss especially when he plays like last night he is unstoppable at times. Semenyo on the other hand isn’t going to be the huge loss many think he will IMO. 

Quite right, I don't see how everyone expects "progress" when our wage bill is only allowed to regress. It's completely unrealistic or at least not very probable!

3 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Think semenyo not putting it in at moment saving himself for the world cup .

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Quite right, I don't see how everyone expects "progress" when our wage bill is only allowed to regress. It's completely unrealistic or at least not very probable!

Yes the finances are a big issue but Reading and Birmingham for example, who have equally serious constraints, are showing more improvement in terms of league position than we are. Both finished below us last season. 

17 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Yes the finances are a big issue but Reading and Birmingham for example, who have equally serious constraints, are showing more improvement in terms of league position than we are. Both finished below us last season. 

Their issue will be how sustainable is it to rely on several loans (not likely to be cheap in the main) each season to stay in the division.  I don’t see either going up, despite Reading’s decent position.  So next summer, they’ll be back to trying to loan another 5 players.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Their issue will be how sustainable is it to rely on several loans (not likely to be cheap in the main) each season to stay in the division.  I don’t see either going up, despite Reading’s decent position.  So next summer, they’ll be back to trying to loan another 5 players.

Helps of course if Chelsea offer their apparently usual gratis or massive discounts for Reading but generally agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Is our wage bill regressing faster than other clubs in this division who have had to cut their cloth too? That would be interesting to see, and then we can make a proper judgement as to whether progress is a realistic goal. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is our wage bill regressing faster than other clubs in this division who have had to cut their cloth too? That would be interesting to see, and then we can make a proper judgement as to whether progress is a realistic goal. 

Agreed, although we are coming from a worse base.

For FFP I believe it is the Holdings and not the club in isolation that is the starting point. If we lost £28m last season it surely didn't fall as much as assumed last season.

6 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think when people talk about the future they're generally thinking a bit further out than a couple of games or even a couple of months that you seem to be!

So lets think about end of season then, higher than last seasons 17th is it and more wins than the 15 we had, has to be if we are improving?.

Hey maybe the next international break will spur us on, just like the last one did.........NOT.

We are in a dodgey position and dont seem to be learning from unforced errors

25 minutes ago, gl2 said:

So lets think about end of season then, higher than last seasons 17th is it and more wins than the 15 we had, has to be if we are improving?.

Hey maybe the next international break will spur us on, just like the last one did.........NOT.

We are in a dodgey position and dont seem to be learning from unforced errors

We seem to be improving overall IMO.

More pts from the same fixtures as set against last season, ie vs opponents, less thrashings, some statistical uplift in certain areas.

Is a long road ahead but there are some encouraging signs while cutting our cost base at the same time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We seem to be improving overall IMO.

More pts from the same fixtures as set against last season, ie vs opponents, less thrashings, some statistical uplift in certain areas.

Is a long road ahead but there are some encouraging signs while cutting our cost base at the same time.

Sorry but that is not what 10 games (thread) says, indeed all we have is "hope" in what is yet to come. As it is atm we are dropping down the div as teams play some of the games they have in hand.

It should also be noted that; even after tonight every team below us will still have played less games than us, and as of now we are only 3pts from the 3rd relegation spot, currently held by Wigan with a game in hand ?

Edited by gl2

10 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Sorry but that is not what 10 games (thread) says, indeed all we have is "hope" in what is yet to come. As it is atm we are dropping down the div as teams play some of the games they have in hand.

It should also be noted that; even after tonight every team below us will still have played less games than us, and as of now we are only 3pts from the 3rd relegation spot, currently held by Wigan with a game in hand ?

I can check but fairly sure that statistically at this juncture we are superior to last season in a range of ways.

How that translates into results still remains to be seen. (Shots for, Shots against, clean sheets etc, possession etc).

Happy to re-read the 10 games thread.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can check but fairly sure that statistically at this juncture we are superior to last season in a range of ways.

How that translates into results still remains to be seen. (Shots for, Shots against, clean sheets etc, possession etc).

Happy to re-read the 10 games thread.

I was basing my reply on the last 10games and as we are bottom of that thread/league how are we improving? just depressed as it seems to me its same old same old with certainly no sign of improvement over the last 10 games.

Yes I know we have some hopes in certain players but some others have been way off recently with some just getting a subs bench place and other great hopes not even making the bench.

Edited by gl2

20 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

The injuries to players, the recent flu bout and the log-jam of games due to the death of the Queen, and now the World Cup will effect us more than some other sides due to our smallish squad.

Against Swansea - most other days we get the 3 points. We had the youngest back 3 I remember, and we took it right up to an almost full-strength Swansea side (who have been top 6 all season) and almost won. With half the 1st team regulars out at the last minute.

Missed 2 easy chances, hit the woodwork twice, and dominated long periods of a game against a top 3 side.

No other reason.

Inconsistent refereeing - easy straight red to Norwood for a horrendous tackle on Williams - gets nothing. Not even a yellow.

But the simple, undeniable fact is that we were playing good enough football to beat 2 top 6 championship teams with a very weakened, very young squad.

That for me is enough to say, despite where we may finish this year - the future is as bright as it has ever been.

NP is on the verge of creating something special. Very soon, I think all of you that doubt, will be delighted to say you were here when Bristol City finally made it to the Premier League.

We just need to be patient, and understand just how big a job NP is having to do to fix the mess left behind after decades of mismanagement.

We lost because they scored and we didnt,

Blame the ref/pitch/weather/bad luck whatever. Sorry but those things didnt do it our misses/mistakes and fault....the end.

19 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

No other reason.

I wish I had your confidence. In spite of all the good points you make, we still lost last night and dropped 2 points against Swansea. I think it will be  one hell of a struggle this season to stay up. And the only luck we are getting is bad.And the next two league look very tough. But I really hope you are right. 

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I wish I had your confidence. In spite of all the good points you make, we still lost last night and dropped 2 points against Swansea. I think it will be  one hell of a struggle this season to stay up. And the only luck we are getting is bad.And the next two league look very tough. But I really hope you are right. 

Really cant lose the next 2 games but could happen, Guessing Hull/Hudders/Wigan hopefully the ones to drop but we could well be in the fight

25 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I just hope that the management and players have more confidence and stomach for the battle than some of the perennial doomlords on here, or we really are in the shit.

You can say it.....Relegation Battle, and you really mean realists not doomlords dont you? you are right about the shit though; love to be wrong and for us to Smash Boro and Watford believe that or not NR please yourself.

11 hours ago, gl2 said:

You can say it.....Relegation Battle, and you really mean realists not doomlords dont you? you are right about the shit though; love to be wrong and for us to Smash Boro and Watford believe that or not NR please yourself.

I don't doubt your intentions or wishes for the team. However I'm not sure "realists" really fits for people who've been predicting that we'll be relegated every season for as long as I can remember, certainly since we've been back in this league.