IGNORED

Match Report: Max Makes City's Point at Boro

Olé

Great Guardian standard report on the main Bristol City site..................21st line down...."Semenyo blazed his Shit over the bar under pressure"   Do they never  spell check?  Ha!! Though maybe it was intentional, the way Antoine has been playing recently?

Edited by maxjak
  • Haha 10

49 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Great Guardian standard report on the main Bristol City site..................21st line down...."Semenyo blazed his Shit over the bar under pressure"   Do they never  spell check?  Ha!! Though maybe it was intentional, the way Antoine has been playing recently?

Sounds like this should be in the drugs at football thread 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Haha 6

‘ City ruthless on the counter attack and solid at the back in a dominant first half…’

You can’t be serious, Ole. We were shambolic at the back in the first half and lucky not to be 4-1 down at the break. We were ruthless once on the break - a class goal - but Wells missed a great chance. Apart from that, I don’t remember us threatening.

I actually thought we defended better in the second half but we did just about give up as an attacking force. 

All in all a pretty ordinary performance. Boro made us look like a relegation team. 

• Like 6

Thanks @Olé. Pretty much spot on how I saw it too. 

It was an odd game in some ways. We certainly rode our luck first half hour and yet managed to find ourselves in front. Then we seem to settle down a bit for 15 mins, leaving us hopeful we might get something, and within minutes of the restart, disappointment! Very mixed emotions, but at the end of the day a point probably isn’t a bad result against a side playing their first home game under a new manager. And it was an entertaining game for sure.

I’d agree with all those scores. 

I can't agree with Conway being a 6, the lad created the goal with an outstanding pass, ran down players, made great runs, I would say he was the only striker that genuinely looked a threat, the rest however I could agree with.

Semenyo hasn't gone backwards, he's just not getting the ball the way he was at the beginning of the season when he was getting passes that he was running onto rather than the ball being played into his feet. Having him at RWB today was a bad decision all over, I get that he's big, strong and can run at a player and has amazing power in his shot but at RWB you receive the ball to feet more often than not and this isn't where Semenyo is best. Semenyo really shines with passes that he can run onto and battle with a defender using his pace and strength, his acceleration isn't great, not because he can't go from still to running but because his touch isn't so great. Off of the ball his pace will allow him to beat players to the ball and then his strength will keep them off of it, but when he has to go from still to running with the ball at his feet it slows his burst of acceleration down because he's not as adept at controlling the ball. 
This is why I would go with Scott in that attacking midfield role behind the two strikers, because he's best in the middle with a pocket of space, he can go from still to full pace with minimal touches and that's why he can dribble through players. 

I'm interested to see Pearsons team if we get players back from injuries without picking up any more because arguably Scott is better than Weimann behind the strikers because of his ability to burst and dribble past players as well as pick out passes but when you have Wells and Conway both doing an amazing job of chasing down players and winning the ball high up the pitch it's hard to drop them which means Scott gets pushed back into the midfield and Weimann plays that attacking midfield role because of his drive. It's hard to leave Weimann out.
Pearson also has an issue that Zac is great in the middle of a CB role as he has protection both sides and he naturally positions himself in that central role, however when he's on the right side of the back three he gets pulled out of position, especially if our RWB isn't covering him. Although he got the red I'd want to see Tanner there with Naismith in the middle and Atkinson on the left, Tanner seemed to work so well with Sykes, when Sykes pushed up Tanner would position himself well but when Tanner found himself able to push forward Sykes would naturally drop in to cover him, I could see those two defending our right side very successfully, certainly better than we do with Zac. On the subject of Zac I think the lad is a solid CB, but not in this system unless he's in the middle, put him in the middle and I think he'd be very solid and easily be perfect to replace Naismith when he's injured and Tanner isn't banned. I also think Vyner would be great in a back 4 as he seems to be a natural for the more central role, especially with players either side of him.

I never thought I'd see the day when we had too much choice up front, Conway is currently looking like he should be starting regularly, Wells does fantastic when we play high pressuring football, Weimann is full of energy and his workrate is so much higher than any other player in the squad, Semenyo has raw power that could be deadly if we were feeding him the right passes etc

I personally hope we get a fit squad and give Tanner a chance in place of Vyner, give Pring a game in place of DaSilva and allow Scott to play behind the strikers when we don't have strikers as wing backs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I can't agree with Conway being a 6, the lad created the goal with an outstanding pass, ran down players, made great runs, I would say he was the only striker that genuinely looked a threat, the rest however I could agree with.

Semenyo hasn't gone backwards, he's just not getting the ball the way he was at the beginning of the season when he was getting passes that he was running onto rather than the ball being played into his feet. Having him at RWB today was a bad decision all over, I get that he's big, strong and can run at a player and has amazing power in his shot but at RWB you receive the ball to feet more often than not and this isn't where Semenyo is best. Semenyo really shines with passes that he can run onto and battle with a defender using his pace and strength, his acceleration isn't great, not because he can't go from still to running but because his touch isn't so great. Off of the ball his pace will allow him to beat players to the ball and then his strength will keep them off of it, but when he has to go from still to running with the ball at his feet it slows his burst of acceleration down because he's not as adept at controlling the ball. 
This is why I would go with Scott in that attacking midfield role behind the two strikers, because he's best in the middle with a pocket of space, he can go from still to full pace with minimal touches and that's why he can dribble through players. 

I'm interested to see Pearsons team if we get players back from injuries without picking up any more because arguably Scott is better than Weimann behind the strikers because of his ability to burst and dribble past players as well as pick out passes but when you have Wells and Conway both doing an amazing job of chasing down players and winning the ball high up the pitch it's hard to drop them which means Scott gets pushed back into the midfield and Weimann plays that attacking midfield role because of his drive. It's hard to leave Weimann out.
Pearson also has an issue that Zac is great in the middle of a CB role as he has protection both sides and he naturally positions himself in that central role, however when he's on the right side of the back three he gets pulled out of position, especially if our RWB isn't covering him. Although he got the red I'd want to see Tanner there with Naismith in the middle and Atkinson on the left, Tanner seemed to work so well with Sykes, when Sykes pushed up Tanner would position himself well but when Tanner found himself able to push forward Sykes would naturally drop in to cover him, I could see those two defending our right side very successfully, certainly better than we do with Zac. On the subject of Zac I think the lad is a solid CB, but not in this system unless he's in the middle, put him in the middle and I think he'd be very solid and easily be perfect to replace Naismith when he's injured and Tanner isn't banned. I also think Vyner would be great in a back 4 as he seems to be a natural for the more central role, especially with players either side of him.

I never thought I'd see the day when we had too much choice up front, Conway is currently looking like he should be starting regularly, Wells does fantastic when we play high pressuring football, Weimann is full of energy and his workrate is so much higher than any other player in the squad, Semenyo has raw power that could be deadly if we were feeding him the right passes etc

I personally hope we get a fit squad and give Tanner a chance in place of Vyner, give Pring a game in place of DaSilva and allow Scott to play behind the strikers when we don't have strikers as wing backs.

Disagree regarding Scott in the 10 or attacking midfield role , personally, certainly atm  - fantastic footballer but how many assists / goals to date 

He'd be my hub , asking him to be available as much as poss , take lots of ball from behind , giving , receiving and giving again - keeping possession and helping some control of the game , as much as  possible 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

‘ City ruthless on the counter attack and solid at the back in a dominant first half…’

You can’t be serious, Ole. We were shambolic at the back in the first half and lucky not to be 4-1 down at the break. We were ruthless once on the break - a class goal - but Wells missed a great chance. Apart from that, I don’t remember us threatening.

I actually thought we defended better in the second half but we did just about give up as an attacking force. 

All in all a pretty ordinary performance. Boro made us look like a relegation team. 

Agree, a bit of a stretch to suggest that we were solid, lack of wing backs exposed on a few occasions, and quite a few dodgy moments. Overall, happy with the point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Disagree regarding Scott in the 10 or attacking midfield role , personally, certainly atm  - fantastic footballer but how many assists / goals to date 

He'd be my hub , asking him to be available as much as poss , take lots of ball from behind , giving , receiving and giving again - keeping possession and helping some control of the game , as much as  possible 

Yet not falling over to get the foul all the time (now and then ok), and playing the easy pass when on and under too much pressure.

Apparently the illness that has been in the camp is the type that has effects that can linger and can sap the stamina. I think the changes and odd line ups reflect this, Pearson trying to use the freshest of his players or at least minimising the number of players that are struggling to do 90 minutes.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Apparently the illness that has been in the camp is the type that has effects that can linger and can sap the stamina. I think the changes and odd line ups reflect this, Pearson trying to use the freshest of his players or at least minimising the number of players that are struggling to do 90 minutes.

Good point. We can't (and nor should we) know what the exact illness situation is, but at least NP is trying to win games. Even when it backfires at bit like yesterday, he'll learn something about his players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

This is why stats don't always tell the whole story, how many games has he played there, I can think of 2, one being yesterday where we seemed to be god awful down the sides but kept pushing it. I don't think yesterday he was given any decent chance to shine, we lacked possession, we were set up to attack from wide and so he was nullified. When you look at players who can beat a man you either want them on the wings to get into the pockets behind a full back or you want them in the middle when you're lacking a player who can play a high quality through pass. We lack that penetrating pass person, a large part of the Semenyo problem, we don't play passes that players can run into so the next best thing is a player who can beat a man in the middle and our only option there is Scott. I really like Weimann, he's a motivator and he gives his all but in that position he drops too deep and one of his best qualities is lost which is how he pulls defenders out of position with his movement. 
I think Scott will be another Brownhill situation, some fans seen how good Brownhill was and rated him but the vast majority took him for granted. If Scott were to leave tomorrow and get a consistent run of games in that position I think we'd be saying "why didn't Pearson give him more games there?!" or "why was he played in the midfield so much?". We know why he's played in the midfield role, it's because we have Weimann who will run for a full 90 in that position and motivates others but at the same time Scott is too good to leave on the bench and we're lacking quality in the box to box role, hence he ends up there.

I think the thing holding us back right now is a center back who can play on the right hand side without losing his positioning, as Zac does, and a quality midfielder. We're currently blessed in attack with Conway and Wells shining in this formation, Semenyo having such raw talents, albeit he needs to add to his game in his close ball control and Weimann being such an all round positive influence on the team. Bell is also coming through he needs to get a goal to his name before I think we'll see the best from him.

I don't think Scott will get enough games as the attacking midfielder due to our attack being so strong, but what we need now is a player to create problems for the opposition defence when we have possession as almost all of our strikers are best on the counter attack, we need a player in the attacking ranks who can recive the ball with his back to goal, turn and cause problems and we're lacking that, even with all of the strikers we have, that's where I think Scott would shine given some time to bed into that position.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

14 hours ago, Porto Red said:

@Spike credit where it's due, that's the second lengthy post of yours regarding this match with which I have agreed entirely (can't remember if the other one was also on this thread as I've been out and away all day). And my point is that I normally disagree with practically everything you say. So there.

I know I'm opinionated but I think quite often people won't accept there could be strength behind opinions until they see it happen. I've been saying for a while now that I'd have Max in goal instead of Bentley and got mocked for it, yesterday he showed his ability and presence to command his box and all of a sudden now its clear to see its now an accepted opinion. 

I see it quite a bit on here, some posters have great opinions but are rubbished because the majority don't agree at the time, a few months on and the same people who runnished said opinion find themselves agreeing with it. 

Best part of an opinion is that you can change it, I've been wrong plenty of times, I just change my opinion when it's necessary and have no issues with people disagreeing with me ??

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know I'm opinionated but I think quite often people won't accept there could be strength behind opinions until they see it happen. I've been saying for a while now that I'd have Max in goal instead of Bentley and got mocked for it, yesterday he showed his ability and presence to command his box and all of a sudden now its clear to see its now an accepted opinion. 

I see it quite a bit on here, some posters have great opinions but are rubbished because the majority don't agree at the time, a few months on and the same people who runnished said opinion find themselves agreeing with it. 

Best part of an opinion is that you can change it, I've been wrong plenty of times, I just change my opinion when it's necessary and have no issues with people disagreeing with me ??

I think people were unsure on Max after his spell last season where he didn’t really take his chance. However it’s clear that the type of keeper he is, i.e tries to be positive, is exactly what our back line need because we don’t have a dominating centre half like a Shaun Taylor or Flint who heads everything. A liner like Bentley and a back three that don’t mop up everything aerial is a bad mix.

If Max can show that he has arrived at the level and it’s not just a few games of very good form then we are in a better place going into the business end of the season. Add in five defenders returning from injury, Benarous giving us another option in the middle of the park and possibly a signing or two in January and we really ought to be ok.

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

That’s the thing I don’t get with lots of people, they nail themselves to an opinion and refuse to budge.  Often that opinion is made far too early.  And in football we know how things can change quickly.

What is the harm in changing an opinion?  Pride?  Nobody really gives a shit do they?

FWIW, I always saw Max as the “cheap no2”, on a relatively low wage, capable of covering the no1, but never gonna become the no1 at this level.

That was until this batch of 7 games, which is Max showing be a side of Max I’d not seen before.  On another thread a while back a number of us mentioned that we didn’t think there was much between Max and Bents, but neither of them were decisive…and that was what we felt was the key attributed we needed.  Max now looks decisive.

I don’t want to give Nige undue credit, because I want Max to take it (and he deserved to), but…

…Nige’s comments after Millwall must’ve been a big boost to him.  I think we forget that he pulled off a great save for their opener and he saved a penalty too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the thing I don’t get with lots of people, they nail themselves to an opinion and refuse to budge.  Often that opinion is made far too early.  And in football we know how things can change quickly.

What is the harm in changing an opinion?  Pride?  Nobody really gives a shit do they?

FWIW, I always saw Max as the “cheap no2”, on a relatively low wage, capable of covering the no1, but never gonna become the no1 at this level.

That was until this batch of 7 games, which is Max showing be a side of Max I’d not seen before.  On another thread a while back a number of us mentioned that we didn’t think there was much between Max and Bents, but neither of them were decisive…and that was what we felt was the key attributed we needed.  Max now looks decisive.

I don’t want to give Nige undue credit, because I want Max to take it (and he deserved to), but…

…Nige’s comments after Millwall must’ve been a big boost to him.  I think we forget that he pulled off a great save for their opener and he saved a penalty too.

An excellent post, and one with which I agree on every aspect.

I, too, viewed Max as an ideal number two goalkeeper, a dependable backup to Bentley, but not the longterm solution.

My only regret is that I was really looking forward to watching our new French goalkeeper steal the show, something that currently seems quite a long way off due to Max’s recent performances, although I obviously hope Max continues with his excellent form.

I shall be very interested to see the team tomorrow - stay with Max, pick Bentley to keep him fit/in touch or give Bajic his chance to show what he can do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I change my mind about NP roughly once every 2-3 games! 

• Haha 1