IGNORED

Max reappraisal required?

SecretSam

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Following his heroics on Saturday, is a reappraisal of O'Leary required? He seems to be the main man now

He’s massively improved during this current stint.  Think even his fiercest critics must agree on that.  Long may it continue as I’m guessing this is nearing last chance saloon to nail down a first team place at Champ level. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

All goalkeepers are capable of making wonderful saves but there’s far more to g’keeping than simply being a shot stopper.

They need to have organisation skills with walls and positioning along with making the right decisions on crosses or corners and of course distribution skills - an area where Bentley loses out to O’Leary. 

O’Leary has become number 1 as this season has shown.

• Like 1

O'Leary was crap last season (see the pathetic goals we conceded away to Luton for example) and Bentley rightly won his place back

Much to my surprise and fair play to the bloke, but he has been very good so far this season even allowing for the goal v Millwall which caused such debate on here

He's coming out and commanding his area much better than previously, and this is where Bents was weak also. Now he's stopping shots as well no way Bents will get back if he keeps it up, he's also aware of Bajic in the wings so knows he's got to continue to play well if he wants to be number 1 in future once Bents has left.

1 hour ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Looking more and more the part, very competent shot shopper - but would still like to see him punch it more than 5 yards, gives me the willies when I see his fists flying!!!

Agree with what you’re saying on punching but having said that I’d rather see a keeper come and get something on it rather than stay on their line or worse still as we saw Bentley do at Brum, start to come which makes the defender stop his jump and then go back. Worst goalkeeping crime of all that is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

O'Leary was crap last season (see the pathetic goals we conceded away to Luton for example) and Bentley rightly won his place back

Much to my surprise and fair play to the bloke, but he has been very good so far this season even allowing for the goal v Millwall which caused such debate on here

Bentley's been dropped twice by Pearson now...

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with what you’re saying on punching but having said that I’d rather see a keeper come and get something on it rather than stay on their line or worse still as we saw Bentley do at Brum, start to come which makes the defender stop his jump and then go back. Worst goalkeeping crime of all that is.

Beat me to it

• Like 1