IGNORED

"Nige Should Walk"

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing I write on here about Nige tonight us gonna change anyone’s opinion, so…

…tonight he picks a mix and match team.  His decision.  His responsibility.  It performed awfully in the first half, left the subs with a mountain to climb.  I’m not gonna mention any positives, it’s futile, and they’re inconsequential in the aftermath of this type of result and performance.  But…

…we were all pretty excited by thoughts of Low and Kadji starting pre-game, very few (if any) shouts of “play your best(ish) team, get ahead and then introduce the youngsters”, so we all bought into the risk of the team that was picked when it was announced at 6:45pm.  And now we are behaving (in some cases) that we did t understand the risks of such an approach.  That’s not excusing Nige, he did the same.

But we saw how a couple of youngsters mixed in with the wrong team can struggle as an opposed to a couple of youngsters with the best team.  I’m not digging out Low and Kadji, but, I’ve been consistent in my view that at their current development stages:

Kadji - is Bakinson-lite.  He doesn’t want the ball, he doesn’t create angles to receive, and he doesn’t really put his player under any pressure when he closes down.  That sounds harsh, but I’ve seen him enough times to think he needs a lot of improvement and effort if he’s gonna make it.  Tonight was a wake up call. @Sheltons Armywhat did you think?

Low - not seen anywhere near enough of him, but I’ve yet to see him in u21s have a tough opponent, either one who’s physical, or one who’ll spin in him behind.  So until tonight I’ve reserved judgement.  Tonight was “welcome to EFL football”…it was just a bit too quick for him.  But he’s a big lad, still growing into his frame.

I’m not writing either off, and I hope they both take tonight onboard and see where they need to improve.  Both are plenty young enough to improve.

Sounds harsh to start on them, but I’m almost too angry to write about Dasilva and Sykes.  You can see why neither started on Saturday and Nige resorted to playing Weimann and Semenyo at WB. Sykes was a mess positionally, Dasilva won’t be earning a new contract on recent form.

Nige is undoubtedly under pressure from the fans.  The “game in hand” teams stole a match tonight, and we will see what it means for the board.  I still believe in Nige.  Tonight ought to make no difference, silly old cup game, but I believe going through was in some ways more important than Saturday v Watford.  There are players who’ve made Nige’s selection very easy for Saturday.

Bakinson Lite !...............Great descriptive phrase. And altogether, a great a assessment.  Dasilva must be one of the highest wage earner's, and the sooner he leaves, and finds his true level in the 1st Division, the better.  Chelsea Academy? Schmademy?

Edited by maxjak
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Ifs and buts are not points, we need points Saturday and not; poor ref, bad mistake, should have could have scored, we were unlucky and good old fine lines.

Can see us getting bullied to death yet play well, we need to cut out the unforced errors, not play Martin ever again and sit AS on the bench for a start, anyway we are on the slide it has to stop.

It’s November, season finishes in May 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Warnock? He’ll have 4 weeks before the next game and then January to trade in battle hardened reliable players 

What’s the point? Whether you want Pearson here or not how is Warnock anything other than yet another short term fix. We lurch from crisis to crisis continually and there comes a point where you need a longer term strategy in place. Stockpiling more players who will let us down in the longer term just to get out of an immediate mess won’t work.

We have the makings of a strategy in place where we are getting high earners not providing value for money off the wage bill and are using our Academy but as long as FFP says we don’t have a pot to piss in and we can’t immediately strengthen with longer term signings there will be bumps along the way. Whether it’s Pearson or AN Other in charge we have to go with the plan otherwise it’s kicking the can down the road……again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

Our season will be over as soon as we are knocked out of the FA Cup in January

As for the league, there is only one way we are heading

Christ

Just remember we are in the Championship, not league one, we have a big game Saturday, try and look forward to it, there isn’t much else you can do. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Christ

Just remember we are in the Championship, not league one, we have a big game Saturday, try and look forward to it, there isn’t much else you can do. 

Innit.

As I've said previously, I only hope that Pearson and the players have more testicular fortitude than some of our fans, otherwise we might as well give up now.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

There’s a lot of talk on should he stay or should he go, but most ignores who would come in if he goes. Assuming it would not be, god forbid, another promotion from within the first thing any potential manager would want to know is the transfer budget for January. If it’s next to nothing, and get rid of a couple of players, it would only be someone unemployed and desperate who would want to take on this squad. So, City might as well stick with Pearson. If there is going to be some cash to splash, again, City might as well stick with Pearson as he knows the good, the bad and the ugly about the current players. 

7 hours ago, mozo said:

Completely agree. The wing back situation has consistently appeared flawed so why not let DaSilva and Tanner play full back (or whoever is in favour), and reduce the need to play players out of position. 

It's weird because we've heard NP say in at least one interview earlier in his tenure that he prefers a back 4 and yet when he had a shortage of centrebacks he chose to fudge a 3 instead of reverting to 2 CBs.

I know some people don't think formations are particularly relevant but even if it reset the focus it would be worth it. 

I'd support NP trying the current formula, with his strongest available squad vs Watford, but if that doesn't go well, use the world Cup break to rip it up and start afresh.

Definitely agree with this, would like to see us try 4 at the back for a few games. Either 433 or 4231 or 4312

10 hours ago, mozo said:

Well Dave you posted yourself how you wanted a strong line up with few changes and you had good reasons why. We didn't get that. I think you would have picked a more suitable side to atvleast compete.

Did I?  Really?  I think that’s the cautious side of me, start strong, hopefully get a lead, then sub off.  But if I did, then I wasn’t unhappy at 6:45pm either.

Say what you want about NP, but he was right in what he said last night, we have no depth to the squad.

Without Alex Scott, Matty James and Kal Naismith, we are utter dog poo and thats the real issue..

Those three playing together, make us a football team and bring the others on..

Edited by M.D
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, M.D said:

Say what you want about NP, but he was right in what he said last night, we have no depth to the squad.

Without Alex Scott, Matty James and Kal Naismith, we are utter dog poo and thats the real issue..

Those three playing together, make us a football team and bring the others on..

I’d add the “partnership of Wells and Conway” rather than them individually per se.  They are so in sync.  So that’s 5 ???

11 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

A selfish manager , concerned about his position would have picked his strongest team last night and worried about Watford after

And that's what I'm still liking about NP, he does have the long term future as number one priority for the club.

In a previous post someone mentioned they thought that some Southampton fans were looking forward to playing us, I replied to say that "I hate to think that we may not be there for that to occur". With the teams below us now picking up points I really am worried we might not stay safe, however I'm hoping the WC break will help us to get our injured back & we can show our earlier capabilities & for the record I still want NP to be there to guide us through all this.

Always the optimist eh, COYR's (tooooo OLD to change :thumbsup:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Did I?  Really?  I think that’s the cautious side of me, start strong, hopefully get a lead, then sub off.  But if I did, then I wasn’t unhappy at 6:45pm either.

Am always baffled why managers put out a weekend team with the best players on the bench.

Then try to retrieve the game when behind as opposed to what you say.

22 minutes ago, bpexile said:

And that's what I'm still liking about NP, he does have the long term future as number one priority for the club.

In a previous post someone mentioned they thought that some Southampton fans were looking forward to playing us, I replied to say that "I hate to think that we may not be there for that to occur". With the teams below us now picking up points I really am worried we might not stay safe, however I'm hoping the WC break will help us to get our injured back & we can show our earlier capabilities & for the record I still want NP to be there to guide us through all this.

Always the optimist eh, COYR's (tooooo OLD to change :thumbsup:)

Well for a start the last "break" went well did it...not;

I can see the posts after the break already........."well we need to get back up to speed etc,etc" "lets see how the transfer window pans out first, etc,etc" around and around we go with one common denominater....SL.

12 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Well for a start the last "break" went well did it...not;

I can see the posts after the break already........."well we need to get back up to speed etc,etc" "lets see how the transfer window pans out first, etc,etc" around and around we go with one common denominater....SL.

As you say the last break didn't help us did it but I still live in hope, it's all about opinions isn't it ?

You know what? I’m gonna think of this season over after Saturday, a huge break, think we all need one tbh. World Cup usually in summer, come league footy resumes it’ll be like a new season, give a few players a rest, also chances to come back from injuries, halfway there, said at the start of this one I feel optimistic, maybe I’m wrong, maybe Nigel hasn’t pulled up trees, maybe we’re just a lower table team and maybe we need to ship a few high earners out, but maybe we’ll learn.

Nigel is a hard bloke, beat up a wolf, as was Jason Euell learning from the crazy gang and Curtis Fleming was international team mates with Mad Mick and Roy Keane, I hope the players got a rollicking last night and rightly so, we was shit and maybe we needed to lose, we are a soft team led by some hard nuts who need to install some fear into our players otherwise we might be playing the Sags next year, we been shit for long enough it’s gotta change.. 

come on me babbers

• Like 2

What went wrong? Last time I was on here you were doing well after about 8 games and I remember watching you and thinking you were probably going to be a solid top half team. 

Now Cov are flying and you’re looking in a bit of a pickle and I’m thinking Nige has bitten of more than he can chew and if he can’t sort it out he might be done as a manager.

1 hour ago, Stockwood gate said:

The problem I see is the end of the season we will see lots of players leave and lots arrive I don’t have confidence in Nigel and the recruitment team to bring in players needed , the players he has brought to the club overall has been pretty disappointing 

Did you catch today’s announcement re Tinnion?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

Bakinson Lite !...............Great descriptive phrase. And altogether, a great a assessment.  Dasilva must be one of the highest wage earner's, and the sooner he leaves, and finds his true level in the 1st Division, the better.  Chelsea Academy? Schmademy?

Dasilva is incredibly frustrating because his technical ability is there, he can cross a ball too, or at least he used to be able to but I think he's been here so long without any real competition that he's just become accustomed to being first pick and getting a nice pay packet. 

I think if he goes he'll actually perform better because he won't have that comfy cushy job he has here anymore. I like Dasilva when he's hungry and passionate about his game, he is a good player, the problem is he's not been that player for a while now and I'm putting it down to comfort. It does make me wonder in Pearson feels the same hence he played Weimann there, almost a "you're not guaranteed" kind of message. I personally hope Pring starts a few games there and takes that spot but I have a feeling Pearson may see him more as a center back option primarily now. 

• Like 4

So summing up then;

Win lose or draw Sat NP wont walk away; SL isnt going to twist until NP reaches 1/10 wins as he did with lj and may not even then (currently 1/7 at home 2/13 all); it will take a prolonged stay in bottom 3 for most to worry; we need the upcoming WC break (as do the other teams) the next transfer window could improve us (and others) We are 20th in this div and possibly 1 more defeat from a relegation place, WBA currently in the last relegation place have a game in hand and are 3pts behind.

Our current form is down to injuries/illness/poor refs/fine lines/bad luck and what ifs and not NP team/player selections.

OK thats cool hope you all have an exciting WC and break be in touch again when we are in the Zone.

9 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

The problem I see is the end of the season we will see lots of players leave and lots arrive I don’t have confidence in Nigel and the recruitment team to bring in players needed , the players he has brought to the club overall has been pretty disappointing 

I think that considering the financial mess we are in, the recruitment was as good as could be fairly expected.

3 hours ago, gl2 said:

So summing up then;

Win lose or draw Sat NP wont walk away; SL isnt going to twist until NP reaches 1/10 wins as he did with lj and may not even then (currently 1/7 at home 2/13 all); it will take a prolonged stay in bottom 3 for most to worry; we need the upcoming WC break (as do the other teams) the next transfer window could improve us (and others) We are 20th in this div and possibly 1 more defeat from a relegation place, WBA currently in the last relegation place have a game in hand and are 3pts behind.

Our current form is down to injuries/illness/poor refs/fine lines/bad luck and what ifs and not NP team/player selections.

OK thats cool hope you all have an exciting WC and break be in touch again when we are in the Zone.

That last sentence reads like you can’t wait to see us in the bottom three so that you can revel in us struggling!  And that you think ONLY Nige can be at fault. ???

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, bpexile said:

I think that considering the financial mess we are in, the recruitment was as good as could be fairly expected.

That is impossible to judge?  We have absolutely no idea who was considered and scouted, only those who were recruited. For all we know, we might,....might? have missed out on a Gem?  I would say that apart from Atkinson, Naismith and possibly Klose, our signings have been very underwhelming?  I would much prefer Whelming?  ?

23 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Who would be would be happy with Fleming with Euell as his assistant, as that’s the most likely scenario if NP was giving his marching orders?

My hunch would be (as others have said) it would be the other way around.

Euell has made it clear whilst at Charlton that he’s ambitious to be a manager, Fleming has been an assistant under various managers at several clubs & that is seemingly his level of ambition.

Curtis is also very much Nige’s man, a loyal former team mate & if Pearson leaves it wouldn’t shock me if he did, too.

In that scenario I’d have money on Andy King being in the frame to assist Euell, alongside someone new.

• Robin 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That last sentence reads like you can’t wait to see us in the bottom three so that you can revel in us struggling!  And that you think ONLY Nige can be at fault. ???

You dont know me ffs been a City fan since 1966; been to most away grounds and used to go to all homes games; "revel in us struggling" you really have no clue I LOVE MY CLUB and always will; but I am sorry for having an opinion on the current situation........my bad I must be more positive, I must be more positive, I must be more positive.....nah stuff it say what I think

Gotta be quite depressing to believe that Nige is getting the best performances out of the majority of these players and there's no other that could do better within our range. 

So are City truly powerless to correct our current pickle? Let's say we get relegated, do we still standby Nige? How bad does it have to get