IGNORED

Who would people want?

Fuber

If NP Goes, Who?  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

One day we will change manager, of course. But this moment , right now, we are not yet through the reset and rebuild phase, we are another 6 months away from point where we can reset. That might then be a point where the club and Nige reflect. Does he want to follow that rebuild through (12/13 players out of contract, all the big earners gone, some salary space to sign a balanced squad) , in that case he also has to commit going forward, or the club takes a new direction, having got through a financial melt down, and put in place the basis for the next steps and cleared out and set up the club for a more professional and financially viable future. Now is most certainly not the time to be playing with fire and the managerial lottery game. We are simply not in the position to attract the next coach the club needs whilst we have the squad issues we have. As I say, next summer is a conversation. If Nige has kept us in the Championship these three seasons, halved the wage bill , unloaded all the dead weights and over paid players, and set the club up with a strong youth development link , some great youth players with great potential, an off the field structure that has an idea of what the Prem might look like, he will have done an exceptional job, and saved us from a L1 total melt down. (which would have been our historical result). But Nige may or may not want to carry on, who knows. Then and only then can you start to attract a coach/manager of quality. But it should also be recalled, that new FFP and maybe new owners will not be funding £20m to £40 m losses, the new football reality will see dramatically lower wages being paid, few if any transfer fees and a very different future (IMHO for the better) for Championship teams. So there will be no big spending sprees to get to the Prem, it will be all about exceptional scouting and recruitment and exceptional youth development. 

Superb post.  

That list should be enough to make even the most Pearson out person think twice. 

Wilder, Gerrard, Dyche - not a chance in hell any of them would want even a few minutes chat about the role. Robins probably the same, and even if so we couldn’t get him out of his contract at Coventry. Critchley and Edwards - do we really want/trust someone who has had one full season in management to get a better tune out of what we have?

Naismith and Kalas (if even possible) back into the side, with Weimann and Semenyo back in form (no timescale on that, obviously) and we are a much different side. 

It may be happy clapper, but we are basically only a win or two away from being mid table. That’s how mental the league is. People were pretty much saying Pearson out after drawing 0-0 with Cov, and now they’re arguably the best team in the division. It’s depressing that the season has probably already turned into just staying up and clearing the decks more in the summer, but Massengo, Bentley, Kalas and JD off the books in the summer and a probable hefty income from Scott/Semenyo (or both) and Pearson has the chance to get us in a much better position on the pitch, which FWIW I think he has earned the chance of doing. 

• Like 16

55 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Agreed - but it's what people who want Nige out do need to consider. Same for those of use that want him to succeed, as the current form isn't sustainable - and the wider fanbase outside of Otib aren't as understanding of the constraints of the club at this moment.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Hahaha! It's YOUR list- you decided who was on it. So others have mentioned Mark Robins and Steven Schumaker yet they dont appear and would be seemingly obvious should SL call it a day with Nige.

The fact that you produce your own  list, call it depressing and then say it shows that people who want NP out need to consider (your) alternatives is just an agenda.

Any genuine fan will have wanted NP to succeed- hell, no matter who is appointed  surely any regular fan who attend matches want success even if it's Tiny Pulis .

The fact is , in his third season associated with BCFC, over 80 matches at the helm and a poor return with little evidence of progression any other Manager would have already gone. Although the poll represents a tiny tiny tiny % of fans who actually attend matches- almost 70% want someone else so that says a great deal of where we are if it translates to the wider fan base.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Hahaha! It's YOUR list- you decided who was on it. So others have mentioned Mark Robins and Steven Schumaker yet they dont appear and would be seemingly obvious should SL call it a day with Nige.

The fact that you produce your own  list, call it depressing and then say it shows that people who want NP out need to consider (your) alternatives is just an agenda.

Any genuine fan will have wanted NP to succeed- hell, no matter who is appointed  surely any regular fan who attend matches want success even if it's Tiny Pulis .

The fact is , in his third season associated with BCFC, over 80 matches at the helm and a poor return with little evidence of progression any other Manager would have already gone. Although the poll represents a tiny tiny tiny % of fans who actually attend matches- almost 70% want someone else so that says a great deal of where we are if it translates to the wider fan base.

I also asked for realistic options.

Give me, at least, a counter-reason as to why Robins would be realistic. I don't see him leaving Coventry for us nor us affording his compensation, nor him moving to another clubs, unless they're more stable (financial and cultural) than Cov - such as Luton if Jones leaves. I don't consider is to be in that bracket due to our owner actively looking for investment/sale and our FFP situ.

As for Schumacher - I meant to add him in the first place and I've not spotted posts mentioning him, so that's on me, will add him now.

All the managers listed above are (albeit only very slightly in some cases) realistic because at minimum they're at least free agents (where their wages at their two previous jobs weren't hugely above what NP should be on), in League 1 if employed (ergo lower compensation), rumoured to be leaving current roles, or in a coaching/assistant role if in a division above/= to us.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really disappointed Dyche isn’t on the list.

I mean if we are going to seriously think Gerrard or Wilder would be interested then let’s go completely unrealistic.

The latter two are at least at lower stock than Dyche with regards to current reputation. Question marks around SG without Beale, and Wilder's had a shocking past 18 months.

Latter whom's wage is much closer to NP wage-wise at the very least.

Considering Gerrard is ultimately the least realistic due to the salary he was on with Villa, I'll remove him as an option.

33 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

One day we will change manager, of course. But this moment , right now, we are not yet through the reset and rebuild phase, we are another 6 months away from point where we can reset. That might then be a point where the club and Nige reflect. Does he want to follow that rebuild through (12/13 players out of contract, all the big earners gone, some salary space to sign a balanced squad) , in that case he also has to commit going forward, or the club takes a new direction, having got through a financial melt down, and put in place the basis for the next steps and cleared out and set up the club for a more professional and financially viable future. Now is most certainly not the time to be playing with fire and the managerial lottery game. We are simply not in the position to attract the next coach the club needs whilst we have the squad issues we have. As I say, next summer is a conversation. If Nige has kept us in the Championship these three seasons, halved the wage bill , unloaded all the dead weights and over paid players, and set the club up with a strong youth development link , some great youth players with great potential, an off the field structure that has an idea of what the Prem might look like, he will have done an exceptional job, and saved us from a L1 total melt down. (which would have been our historical result). But Nige may or may not want to carry on, who knows. Then and only then can you start to attract a coach/manager of quality. But it should also be recalled, that new FFP and maybe new owners will not be funding £20m to £40 m losses, the new football reality will see dramatically lower wages being paid, few if any transfer fees and a very different future (IMHO for the better) for Championship teams. So there will be no big spending sprees to get to the Prem, it will be all about exceptional scouting and recruitment and exceptional youth development. 

Agree with all of the above. Just interested in wider opinions if the worst happens.

Unfortunately can no longer edit... So stuck as is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

Simple question. Apologies in advance for yet another thread, but just interested in the numbers aspect.

To preface this - I'm still currently on the fence. However, I'm interested in who people would want to replace NP in the worst case scenario and he walks, or is sacked.

Even I accept recent results and some performances have been simply unacceptable recently.

So, ignoring the FFP implications of the above aside, who would people want? If any names people want added just let me know.

I don’t think this is a simple question at all. We simply cannot ignore the FFP implications as it directly affects who is realistic and who isn’t. 

Nobody would want to come in and have no cash to spend, nor work with an unbalanced injury-hit squad unless they were angling for a payout in the event they get sacked after inheriting the same problems. 

Nige used up one of his lives last night, that was a real shit show. But I do think we are nailed on to go down if we roll the dice now. The risk is too high. 

The bottom line is we have no strength in depth within the squad, but we have a competitive first XI at this level with everyone fit as evidenced earlier this season. 

• Like 3

When Nige was appointed I would have been happy for Paul Cook to come in, I didn't think Lansdown would accept or we would get Pearson.
So here we are, and things will change at some point, but for now here we are.
A restructured backroom & medical staff, a new coaching staff and set up. Massively reduced wage bill and a working Academy conveyor belt.
But also, we have no money to spend and getting too close to FFP to ignore it. We cannot bring in new players until we sell, in a market that isn't sure what is going on. Not sure many "good" managers would want to step into that scenario .
We have a team the sways between, an exciting free scoring attacking delight, to a slow turgid error strewn borefest. I would have wanted , maybe expected more of an improvement with the players we have and with the time Pearson has had to mould them. I think what he has had to do away from the pitch has been important and excuses what we have seen on it, to a point. I am at the stage now where I think Pearson may step aside or even up, but what we need next is an organiser & motivator type manager/coach. Whether Edwards could be that, or Cook or Robins, who knows, but if we get badly beaten Saturday we may find out quicker than we might expect.

7 minutes ago, tin said:

I don’t think this is a simple question at all. We simply cannot ignore the FFP implications as it directly affects who is realistic and who isn’t. 

Nobody would want to come in and have no cash to spend, nor work with an unbalanced injury-hit squad unless they were angling for a payout in the event they get sacked after inheriting the same problems. 

Nige used up one of his lives last night, that was a real shit show. But I do think we are nailed on to go down if we roll the dice now. The risk is too high. 

The bottom line is we have no strength in depth within the squad, but we have a competitive first XI at this level with everyone fit as evidenced earlier this season. 

Good post but to slightly disagree, there are those out there who’d take it. Not Gerrard, Wilder, Robins or Dyche but Euell, Rob Edwards probably or the like. Judgement then is would we be better off, not sure we would.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

When Nige was appointed I would have been happy for Paul Cook to come in, I didn't think Lansdown would accept or we would get Pearson.

So would I have been, but after an unhappy spell at Ipswich he’s managing (not particularly well) in non league, which shows how unpredictable this all is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Really disappointed Dyche isn’t on the list.

I mean if we are going to seriously think Gerrard or Wilder would be interested then let’s go completely unrealistic.

Never say never. When they were temporarily housed in the Dolman Stand, I recall a Radio Bristol commentator assuring me that Pearson would never come here, well he did.

What will Gerrard do next? Will he just walk into a Premier League job, go back to Scotland? If not what's left for him, Championship or outside the UK? If any of those three want to stay in football, they may (like a lot of players) have to revise their expectations.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Never say never. When they were temporarily housed in the Dolman Stand, I recall a Radio Bristol commentator assuring me that Pearson would never come here, well he did.

What will Gerrard do next? Will he just walk into a Premier League job, go back to Scotland? If not what's left for him, Championship or outside the UK? If any of those three want to stay in football, they may (like a lot of players) have to revise their expectations.

With the greatest of respect to Pearson before us he was coming off the back of a (typically) brief spell at Watford & prior to that, an undistinguished one in Belgium with a team that no one had heard of.

Gerrard has managed Rangers & Villa, he has a coterie of about 6 staff that follow him to each club.

Not a chance in a million he’s interested in us.

Imagine the interview for a new manager:

"We want to challenge for the play offs but you're going to have to help us cut another £10m from our losses at the same time. If we sell a player to do that you're not going to get much to spend if anything so you're stuck with what we have."

"OK, thanks for inviting me, bye!"

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

"We want to challenge for the play offs but you're going to have to help us cut another £10m from our losses at the same time. If we sell a player to do that you're not going to get much to spend if anything so you're stuck with what we have."

Yeh, I think the current incumbent is the only man mad enough to say yes to that.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

I also asked for realistic options.

Give me, at least, a counter-reason as to why Robins would be realistic. I don't see him leaving Coventry for us nor us affording his compensation, nor him moving to another clubs, unless they're more stable (financial and cultural) than Cov - such as Luton if Jones leaves. I don't consider is to be in that bracket due to our owner actively looking for investment/sale and our FFP situ.

As for Schumacher - I meant to add him in the first place and I've not spotted posts mentioning him, so that's on me, will add him now.

All the managers listed above are (albeit only very slightly in some cases) realistic because at minimum they're at least free agents (where their wages at their two previous jobs weren't hugely above what NP should be on), in League 1 if employed (ergo lower compensation), rumoured to be leaving current roles, or in a coaching/assistant role if in a division above/= to us

How on earth are we supposed to know what/who is a realistic option? This is just not within our knowledge and anyone who states that they know what SL can or can't fund is guessing. Obviously the exception is that a hugely successful Premiership Manager ( or similar) is not possible.

Mark Robins may be possible but only SL/the board will know this.

For all those saying City are a basket case clearly haven't been to our stadium or Training centre or are unable to appreciate the work in the Academy. Or the amount of fans who usually turn up and the extra amount who make a showing when we are doing ok to well. We're a good club and a quick look at most Championship Clubs will confirm this. Our plight to stick within FFP whilst reducing losses is no different to most clubs who aren't getting PP.

SL has been and is a good owner and has built a solid club with his own personal money. Should he decide it's time for a change then there will be some willing candidates but the rest is entirely speculation. In the case of those maintaining that the only possible man for the job remains Nigel Pearson are delusional.

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Missing "a new owner" ??.....

That's a whole different conversation tbh. We will get one of those in time, I suspect in a relatively short time as well. What kind of new owner that will be, and what their motives and incentives will be, we shall see. 

I suspect the most likely candidate in the current climate is a US Private Equity house or a consortium backed by that kind of finance in conjunction with some third party debt. That's very different to uncle Steve and aunt Maggie.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With the greatest of respect to Pearson before us he was coming off the back of a (typically) brief spell at Watford & prior to that, an undistinguished one in Belgium with a team that no one had heard of.

Gerrard has managed Rangers & Villa, he has a coterie of about 6 staff that follow him to each club.

Not a chance in a million he’s interested in us.

Don’t forget the poor spell at Derby too. 
Prior to landing here, Pearson’s previous 3 jobs over the previous 5 years had achieved a win rate of 30% and a loss rate of 46%. 
With us, he’s worsened to a 29% win rate and a 48% loss rate. 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Probably similar expectations at many other clubs too. I don’t think managers look at that sort of scenario as off putting. 
Ultimately, they know they’re getting paid whether they win or lose. 

Jorg   Heinrich is the man for me. But not until the summer.  NP has done a good job stabilising us, and putting us on a reasonable footing.   But IMHO, I just cannot trust him to recruit in the close season.  Although obviously limited by the financial situation, his signings have been underwhelming to  say the least, even taking into account constraints........we need a younger smarter coach, who will build a competitive side, with an identity?    Thomas Franks is a great example, recruited from Brondby in his mid 40's, he has not done a bad job?  Ha!    We need to look abroad, for fresh ideas from a young ambitious manager, looking to make a name for himself?  Warnock and Gerrard?  Do me a favour!! 

Edited by maxjak

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

Before everyone goes overboard at the thought of Liverpool's assistant manager jumping on his white steed, and heading south to the rescue, there is the small matter of an outgoing CEO to be factored in. Unless any prospective new manager know's who it is, that could be quite the sticking point.

This is a vital point for me. 

We’re in an odd position at the moment. A sort of limbo. 

If we look to make a change now, it would be Gould who would be overseeing the new recruit. But of course, he’s gone in 2 months. 
So how does that dynamic work? 
Gould may also be charged with finding his successor, in which case he could attempt to marry up both worlds. 
But we are in a strange position with regard CEO. 

Also, I find myself in a bit of conflict over what is best right now :

A) Keep Pearson, even though I’m not confident of us staying up. In which case you can get rid at the end of the season but we a less attractive opportunity for a new manager as a L1 club. 
or

B) Get a new manager in, but they have nothing to work with financially, so have to work with what they’ve got, end up still getting relegated, so does the blame land on that new manager and he’s then removed! 

For me, if we brought a new man in now, and we got relegated, the new man must be given time the next season. But that’s unlikely to happen, as a relegation would likely see us calling for his sacking. 

It might be that we have to stick with Pearson, hope that somehow we just about have enough about us to survive, and then the new CEO can look for his own appointment next summer, whether we are a champ or L1 club. 

Edited by Harry

Just now, Harry said:

It might be that we have to stick with Pearson, hope that somehow we just about have enough about us to survive, and then the new CEO can look for his own appointment next summer, whether we are a champ or L1 club. 

Yes. The CEO change on January 31 2023 is huge. Unless we already know how we're going to be structured, why go through a new manager now.

We're not going up, and I don't think we're going down either. So let's stick with what we have, regroup over the next month, get some points in December and then come the summer we can reassess and make a new manager, if that's the way we go, a firm and certain offer.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Probably similar expectations at many other clubs too. I don’t think managers look at that sort of scenario as off putting. 

How many other clubs are in the kind of dire financial position as us though?

If we scrape through FFP this time it will be because the EFL have accepted our claim to loss of transfer revenue due to Covid. That's a one off that leaves us still needing to make big cuts and/or raise big money through sales that might not be available to spend.

In addition, if SL is looking to sell he may need to reduce the debt well beyond what FFP requires to attract a buyer.

Looks like a hiding to nothing to any experienced manager with options, though perhaps a rookie at this level might feel they have nothing to lose.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ultimately, they know they’re getting paid whether they win or lose. 

Exactly this,,, lots of people on that list wont be turning down a (estimated) 300000 salary at a relatively stable club where the expectation is to finish one place higher than last year and to survive, regardless if they have got a massive transfer warchest available or not. Edwards, schumacher and robins appear to be the best options as far as i can see…. But i just cant see anyone coming in and doing much without tens of millions to spend each year and being able to compete with parachute clubs on wages.