IGNORED

'Wasters' 'Downed Tools',.....

Roger Red Hat

On 09/11/2022 at 13:15, eardun said:

On the match day thread, I saw a lot of positive comments about the line-up and personally I thought it was ok. On the bright side, though, it does show us with certainty who should be starting for us as some of the following still look on form/ready: Conway and Wells up front; James and Scott in midfield; Pring (probably as LCB given our injuries); O’Leary; Vyner; I would keep Weimann at RWB as he can least get forward and cross and he has not been performing as well recently in his role behind the front two; Dasilva (if Pring has to play at CB.) This leaves a CB position up for grabs - unless Kalas or Naismith are back (unlikely) I’d go for Atkinson (if fit) over Klose and play him in the middle (Vyner right, Pring left). And the role behind the front two - Semenyo doesn’t look right so I would bench him. I’d be inclined to try Sykes there as I think we need Scott in the middle two given Joe Williams’ poor form and this is the position I expected us to see Sykes when we signed him. Anyway hope we see these players on Saturday. 

Vyner centre please. He not good enough defending wide 

On 09/11/2022 at 14:41, Spike said:

I actually think he's doing all he can, I mean I don't see a lack of commitment from the younger players, it seems to be the players who should be able to inspire the youngsters that seem to be going out to pick up to ensure they get their pay.

Martin plays like a man waiting to leave, which he probably is due to Conway hitting the ground running, Wells being back in the team and the attack being built around the type of football he doesn't suit. Klose looks half the player he was last season and I've got to put that down to him not wanting to lead the back line and his contract ticking down with younger players looking to be fed into the team. We seem to have a lot of older heads who just aren't leading. King for example, Pearson no doubt brought him in because he knew him and thought he'd be able to rub off some of his experience and attitude but that doesn't seem to have happened. I think Pearson has brought in good players with good intentions and they've left him down. Yes he made those decisions so they're on him but I doubt he was told by those players that they didn't intend to help or make the effort required which is probably why he's so frustrated. 

I don't think for a second Pearson has given up, I think the reason we played the youngsters in yesterday's match was in hope that they'd do well and the older players may actually see that they have to perform to be picked, unfortunately we're so lacking in numbers that it's not worked out that way as the younger players were hung out to dry. 

I feel sorry for Low, he was especially left high and dry, Klose didn't try to help him and nor did Sykes, I think I actually would have preferred Vyner in the middle as for all his faults when he's on the right hand side of the back three he showed he was a solid leader when he played in the middle and he helped Tanner and Print out a lot. 

I think Klose knows he's done and won't get a new contract but Pearson has to use him as we're missing a lot of our center backs. Klose has no reason to play really, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired at the end of the season but after last year's performances I can see why he was brought back, he looked motivated and performed well, arguably being our best CB at times. 

Martin, well, he's pretty much choice 6 of our 6 strikers, it's not surprising he's lost his fight.

With regards to the rest of the squad I think Wells gives his all most games, James still seems driven too and the younger players with the exception of Semenyo look driven. Weimann always gives his all but I think he's currently frustrated as he probably wants that striker role after last season but Conway and Wells work better together and Pearson knows Weimann will run all game long so it's better in that behind the strikers role as he adds constant pressure. 

If we get a new manager in I worry that some of the youth may not play as much, we'll end up with more players who have no drive and become even more likely to become relegation fodder. I think Pearson needs to be given until February at least so we can see what his plan is. I personally think its to run down contracts of overpaid players, move them on and get in some players who can actually get the bit between their teeth. 

Good points and so agree with Vyner in centre