IGNORED

Tinnion Technical Director

1960maaan

Excellent news! We have been crying out for this kind of director of football role with someone who actually understands football. Not only that but a man who loves the club and we all know we can 100% trust him! 

Long term think this could prove to be massive us! 

Edited by MATT BCFC
  • Like 2

Very much looking forward to hearing how our recruitment strategy is now going to change in order to deliver much-improved performance. 

I get we don’t have much money, but neither do the likes of Rotherham and a host of smaller/similar sized Clubs who have been to the Premier League.

Rather hope this was the first question asked at the interview.

Nice bloke, Bristol City legend, agreed … but we need far more than that and be both  super-smart and significantly over-achieve in the recruitment sphere given our current predicament. The days of employing a scatter-gun approach and hopeful ‘punts’ are long past.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I think its more to do with Gould leaving in Jan. Tins now does recruitment and the new person, or person within, will do purely finance

Think this is probably accurate, a devolved structure under the chairman most likely, thereby probably meaning Gould slowly stepping back with the financials being hand over to another figure yet to be hired or one of the club directors short term.

Although my query would be, who does this make head of youth development now? - usually a technical director (such as the likes of Ashworth) are not hands on with the academy. I may be being daft and forgetting something.

30 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Tins won’t be the money guy in terms of negotiating fees and contracts during player recruitment.

my interpretation is that as ‘technical director’ he will head up the recruitment team and academy in regards to developing players and identifying targets whether that is senior or youth players, or promoting age group players into the first team.

We will still need to replace Richard Gould with another CEO/ money guy and I don’t think this effects Pearson in any way - it would be the same regardless of who the manager or head coach is. 

That’s how I see it.  Need a football person in recruitment across Academy and First Team, and as above don’t  believe “money-man” is his forté.

I still think we need a skilled CEO, I don’t think we dilute the importance of that because of Tins promotion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think we need a skilled CEO

I really hope they aren't freewheeling to the end of Gould's contract. I would like him to be in on the recruitment and have the new man in before he leaves. It could make things so much easier all round. 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I really hope they aren't freewheeling to the end of Gould's contract. I would like him to be in on the recruitment and have the new man in before he leaves. It could make things so much easier all round. 

He said at the fans forum that he was staying until the end of January in particular to be involved in the transfer window.

2 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

This feels like something that was planned for a bit of restructuring once Gould leaves, but I think the announcement has been brought forward a few weeks due to the current mood. Maybe I'm too cynical.

I thought the other way, this is in response to the advances made by FGR and has taken the standard "a bit of time" to put in place.

The CEO would make the decision of this job being needed and then the appointment and he wouldn't have been able to do that if he had already handed his notice in so it was probably all agreed in principle prior to the fans forum.

Edited by Pezo
  • Like 3

A lot of people are happy about this, I'm personally happy for Tinnion as he has worked his ass off for this club and proven he knows talent when he works work it week in week out but I also worry about what his influence will be. I mean it's his goal now to make sure the club had the same vision and strategy but when Tinnion has been on commentary he's very critical of what the team is doing. I just hope he leaves tactics to the manager because as much as I like Tinnion we've all seen he's not a manager. I have no issues with his ability in coaching, I have faith in his ability to work with young players but I also hope his roll will be to bring everything into line for the manager, not to have any input into how tactics are implemented etc. 

I'm sure I'll get some hate for that because Tinnion is a great guy, he's got excellent qualities that we benefit from and boy was he a joy to watch play the game but I just hope that isn't the reason he's got this position, I hope it's because he's the right man for the job and we don't have a repeat of when he was manager. 

8 hours ago, chinapig said:

He said at the fans forum that he was staying until the end of January in particular to be involved in the transfer window.

TBH I'm not thinking or worried about the transfer window, I'm resigned to that taking care of itself . Unless we sell, and sell early, we won't be bringing anyone in. My concern is the new CEO. We have seen what ego over talent can do, what I want is for Gould to be involved in finding his replacement , that could be the most important new siding . Specially as the Club has been restructured over the last 12-18 months.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

A lot of people are happy about this, I'm personally happy for Tinnion as he has worked his ass off for this club and proven he knows talent when he works work it week in week out but I also worry about what his influence will be. I mean it's his goal now to make sure the club had the same vision and strategy but when Tinnion has been on commentary he's very critical of what the team is doing. I just hope he leaves tactics to the manager because as much as I like Tinnion we've all seen he's not a manager. I have no issues with his ability in coaching, I have faith in his ability to work with young players but I also hope his roll will be to bring everything into line for the manager, not to have any input into how tactics are implemented etc. 

I'm sure I'll get some hate for that because Tinnion is a great guy, he's got excellent qualities that we benefit from and boy was he a joy to watch play the game but I just hope that isn't the reason he's got this position, I hope it's because he's the right man for the job and we don't have a repeat of when he was manager. 

Tinnion 36% win rate in charge of city. Just over 6% higher than NP. Picking up 1.4 points per game compared to NP 1.1 points per game. Not saying you are wrong just find it interesting. 

Really pleased for BT. Clearly cares about the club and his eye for talent has already helped us immeasurably. With the financial gains on the horizon too. Happy for him to have a big say in recruitment. 

11 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

Excellent news! We have been crying out for this kind of director of football role with someone who actually understands football. Not only that but a man who loves the club and we all know we can 100% trust him! 

Long term think this could prove to be massive us! 

The best aspect of it IMO is that BT knows a good footballer when he see's one, I would very much hope that the quality of who we sign in the future will rise a few notches?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Tinnion 36% win rate in charge of city. Just over 6% higher than NP. Picking up 1.4 points per game compared to NP 1.1 points per game. Not saying you are wrong just find it interesting. 

Really pleased for BT. Clearly cares about the club and his eye for talent has already helped us immeasurably. With the financial gains on the horizon too. Happy for him to have a big say in recruitment. 

And what’s the glaring omission from your use of statistics to have another little jab here I wonder? 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

And what’s the glaring omission from your use of statistics to have another little jab here I wonder? 

Wasn’t a jab just found it interesting. So quick to say BT was lacking and perhaps he was. It was over 15 years ago. He clearly has a knack for spotting talent so the role suits. Just wondering why the poster was so insistent he should stay well clear of advising tactically.

I think the key thing with this is - whilst I don't think we should read anything into it in terms of Pearson's position - it is a move towards continuity in tactics, strategy and recruitment at all levels, even in the case of a change in manager. I think that is a really important thing as we need to move away from getting a new manager in, tearing everything up from scratch and being perpetually in transition. 

• Like 1

Technical Director in Football is an ambiguous term. As it can mean many different things, depending on what the Club specifically ask of an individual.

Don't jump to the conclusion that 'Recruitment' will change perse.

There really isn't that much information in the statement by the Club. To 'Oversee' player recruitment...it could easily mean to supervise, direct, ensure satisfactory outcomes and be mediator between all facets of the Club.

Bringing them all together. Aligning as one. Being the link between First team and lower Academy. Making sure everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, understanding their roles, and being the go to person to speak to.

'Strengthening the relationships across the Club'.

He is also seen as highly respected across the footballing world. So we may assume that he may be used to communicate with players we are interested in, their agents and other Clubs negotiators. Not in a financial sense...but selling the footballing side of the club to perspective players.

Recruitment from Academy level to first team.

It's likely he'll be the person who guides player pathways from Academy to First team. He'll be the person who communicates between Academy staff and first team staff. Letting them know whether a player is ready. And guiding that pathway.

From what it reads...he'll be working with all the staff, overseeing them, not taking over, so to speak.

I personally don't see him as being in a role of selecting players to recruit. Although he may well be part of the process...but not down to him so to speak.

Obviously a financial role will be found for someone else when Gould leaves.

Quotes...will oversee player recruitment as well as continuing to lead the highly-productive academy. 

His appointment will enable us to further strengthen relationships across the club and wider football world, where he is highly-regarded and respected.

“Integrating academy players into the first team is an important element in our recruitment strategy and, as  we are now seeing, we have a number of talented young players coming through the system.

“Brian will work side by side with the first team and the academy staff to ensure that the recruitment and development of players gives us the best possible opportunity for success.”  

Tinnion added: “This is a chance for all parts of the club to ensure that our recruitment at every level achieves what we all want, which is a successful Bristol City first team. We have highly dedicated and skilled staff with first-class facilities and I’m grateful to be able to work with them for a club I am passionate about.”

• Like 1

It’s a good move to widen BT’s remit regardless of what his role will involve. He’s become a well respected figure within the football industry thru his role within the academy and will have numerous contacts throughout the game - a very useful guy to have using his knowledge, skills and experience to benefit of Bristol City.

Put it this way, Tins was already part of the FIRST TEAM recruitment team and process, but his main angle was to provide an academy lens, I.e. does a new signing hamper the pathway of an academy player.  It’s not a simple black or white answer, it will be case by case, and it might still not stop the signing being made.  He is one vote amongst several in effect.  That’s football.  He will also use his vast knowledge of football and contacts of that helps us narrow down on a player, e.g. if he’s seen a player against our u23/21s in the last, he will feed into the evaluation.

That was what was explained to us when we met RG.

So I do think this is a significant change in role, he’s no longer just holding the academy vote, he now runs the process and will have accountability / responsibility for that.  Some of that will be shared with RG (his replacement) some of it with Nige…but he is no longer just the academy voice.