IGNORED

Leam Richardson - sacked at Wigan

Mendip City

31 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

But they are not championship Quality offer no pace no goals and are past it taking out  Massengo is the only one that can run although its sometimes sideways and Backwards .

I’d class Simpson and King as compromises, Simpson especially.  Last season’s injuries for King were frustrating because I thought he showed he was good enough…but it depends on what level of Chsmpionship player you’re expecting.  He wasn’t gonna be top 6 was he?  He was a free transfer, accepting an alleged low wage.  This year he’s stayed on as a coach contract boosted by appearance money.

In many respects you get what you pay for, and we can’t afford diddly-squat.  What Nige wanted from “Kingy” wasn’t all about what he did on the pitch.

Simpson was offered another year, again on a low wage in the hope he could cover Vyner’s transition to RB.  It didn’t work out.  It cost us peanuts really, and Nige remedied by signing Tanner for £300k which injuries aside looks like a reasonable purchase with growth in him.

For me, James, when fit has been one of our best and consistent performers this season.

But it’s all about opinions.  But what isn’t opinion is that we can’t afford to bring in the quality we need.  Naismith was our “one” this summer and that was because he was free.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Hardly? Are you thinking of a different poster. 

Missed about 6 total since  Xmas and that's because of work, other commitments and things related to recovery from DV and SV. 

Whoops 

Uhmmmmm

Im fairly certain you proclaimed you’d ‘Hardly watched this season’ and IIRC were ‘glad’ as the performances had been s**** (paraphrased)

IIRC , by your ‘announcements’ , you saw none of Sheff Utd , WBA , or Lincoln - just in recent weeks

Whether you watch is , for anyone , of course , a personal choice , but It struck with me , as you were full of critique , whilst for some reason stating you weren’t watching / hadn’t watched and for some reason needed to explain why you weren’t / where you’d been 

Whooops

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's amazing that you missed 'ish'  confirming it wasnt exact, in the post and then launched on some weird diatribe. 

8 goals scored, 14 conceded isn't the great leveller you think it is as its still utterly woeful. 

It's relegation form. 

The amount of NP cultists is alarming on here trying to defend the currently indefensible. 

We're not playing well, were not consistent, we're conceding buckets, we got completely outclassed by Lincoln and look devoid of ideas. 

There's no sign that NP can turn it around. We've players chopped and changed at will because they're 'not up for it' and we're piss poor as a whole currently. 

We're the only ones around us to not make changes and appear to be sleep walking into oblivion. 

I thank NP for all the work he's done, but it's time to let someone else have a go. 

Since you (re)joined this forum it's been clear you don't rate Pearson as our manager, and have consistently posted for a year now about how he's about to go, so and so is probably about to take over, he's statistically one of the worst we've had, he's lost the plot, and so on.

I don't think Graham was on a weird diatribe, he was simply correcting your "mistake" and drawing a pretty understandable reason as to why you may have made it.

If you don't like Pearson, or want him as our manager, that's fine... but at least own it. It's so, so clear, and has been for a long time now. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't see NP being sacked if we lose.

Anybody coming in as a replacement would be under exactly the same constraints, would need to get up to speed with them, cope with RG leaving shortly and the January window.

All of that’s true. But it’s equally true for other clubs pretty much every time they dispense with managers.

I think the point of the OP is “shows how championship clubs think, the threat of relegation is too big for them”.

We’re relatively reluctant to pull the trigger (or have been for the past decade). It will come down to SL/JLs assessment of whether we’re heading for relegation. What that view is, and what they see going on behind the scenes on the footballing front, will determine that, and none of us really know that. 

But if they see relegation as a real possibility then that will far override those other considerations that you mention. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Been hard done by, I think.

They had an excellent season last time out, winning promotion a year after being in administration & if anyone thinks a club of their size will storm this level they’re deluded.

Only gave him a new 3 year contract a fortnight ago, they have been on a losing run but no hammerings, so no logic here at all.

And City supporters think Mr Landown makes some odd decisions……

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

All of that’s true. But it’s equally true for other clubs pretty much every time they dispense with managers.

I think the point of the OP is “shows how championship clubs think, the threat of relegation is too big for them”.

We’re relatively reluctant to pull the trigger (or have been for the past decade). It will come down to SL/JLs assessment of whether we’re heading for relegation. What that view is, and what they see going on behind the scenes on the footballing front, will determine that, and none of us really know that. 

But if they see relegation as a real possibility then that will far override those other considerations that you mention. 

And this alone highlights , for those who want Pearson gone, who , or what type do you replace him with.

Firstly , the concern to be quite brutal , is that Steve and Jon would be using their acute football acumen to make those assessments -    danger of relegation ?  , need to replace ?  , appoint new man  ?

Then who or what type  do you appoint 

Experienced ?  (And thus with some previous failure) journeyman  , who would be labelled a dinosaur if he didn’t immediately produced

A newish ‘up and coming’ Coach / Manager ?  , relatively new to the position , to take up a position in a League that he is likely to have no managerial experience of 

To walk into an inconsistent and thin squad , with little opportunity to change that , whilst conducting major planning for Summer 2023 and a potential squad rebuild . All whilst producing results Sat / Weds / Sat , and during a change of CEO

Big ask isn’t it , let alone for a relatively inexperienced one !

Considering all aspects with the Club at the moment Its a big , big time for the Owner

Sack Pearson and there’s a very good chance we really will be in relegation mire , a lot of posters seem to think changing the Manager will assuredly see an improvement in points return

We are in a fight atm , there is no doubt and NP isn’t the Messiah or any guarantee that we won’t be in relegation trouble

However ,personally  I don’t believe we will be unless injury continues to hamper us with key players 

And with the fight we have got going on , personally I trust Pearson to dig us out of it far more than virtually anyone realistic Ive seen suggested as a replacement 

* My one proviso , and where SL should have accurate knowledge is whether the  players are still with Pearson

Theres no evidence that aren’t , but IF there was a scenario where for some reason players have turned, then that becomes very difficult 

In SLs tenure  I think there was two times he should have kept his nerve and ‘backed the manager’

Gary Johnson 

Steve Cotts (Though that more difficult with the apparent fall out - but think he should have worked to smooth that over)

IMHO , with all I’ve seen at City over the years ........... this is the Third time

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, eardun said:

This is the bit that I find extraordinary. Why on earth give someone a three year contract (when they had just lost the previous 3 matches and lost 5 of the previous 6) but then decide to sack him 16 days and 4 games  (1 draw, 3 defeats) later? Mad. 

I suppose it’s like the Cooper/Forest situation,it shows the players that the boss ain’t goin nowhere so pull yer fingers out , get on board or get gone. 
It could work or , as in this case, backfire expensively. 

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's amazing that you missed 'ish'  confirming it wasnt exact, in the post and then launched on some weird diatribe. 

8 goals scored, 14 conceded isn't the great leveller you think it is as its still utterly woeful. 

It's relegation form. 

The amount of NP cultists is alarming on here trying to defend the currently indefensible. 

We're not playing well, were not consistent, we're conceding buckets, we got completely outclassed by Lincoln and look devoid of ideas. 

There's no sign that NP can turn it around. We've players chopped and changed at will because they're 'not up for it' and we're piss poor as a whole currently. 

We're the only ones around us to not make changes and appear to be sleep walking into oblivion. 

I thank NP for all the work he's done, but it's time to let someone else have a go. 

To be fair, making up wrong numbers about a league table is a bit weird.

Because in the last 6 games we've actually scored 11ish goals, only conceded 10ish and are 9th ish in the league so what's wrong?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Given a 3 year contract just over 2 weeks ago but they’ve dropped into the bottom 3. 

Shows how Championship clubs think. The threat of relegation is too big a risk for them. 

We desperately need a win at the weekend to look like a lower-mid table club rather than a relegation threatened club. 

I can’t see JL/SL not taking the same action as Wigan should we lose. Relegation is just too costly. Especially with their newly appointed and trusted Tech Director to help recruit a new manager and oversee the month long break/mini-pre-season.  

Ideally we could do without the disruption so let’s hope we win on Saturday. 

I can’t see JL/SL not taking the same action as Wigan should we lose. Relegation is just too costly. Especially with their newly appointed and trusted Tech Director to help recruit a new manager and oversee the month long break/mini-pre-season.  

Relegation is too costly. If we lose and lose badly I see JL/SL having no choice.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Relegation is too costly. If we lose and lose badly I see JL/SL having no choice.

If they trust the advice of their ‘newly appointed and trusted Tech Director’ , I’d be very surprised if they decided to sack NP 

• Like 3

Just now, Tafkarmlf said:

To be fair, not 'made up any numbers' did a quick count, said ish. 

The rest of your post is thus a piss poor attempt at deflection.

So you made up the numbers...

Actually, I did what you did, but just the other way. So you just confirmed your original post is a "piss poor attempt at deflection".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I've not said anything of the sort, anywhere, indeed when and where we've been good I've praised that and the management 

Respectfully, you appear to have me confused with someone else. 

This week has been the first time I've said I want to see a change and given reasons why. 

Paraphrasing and your intonation. Great so you're chasting on things I've not said and done and continuing your bizarre stalking from match day threads because of whatever reasons. 

Yip, not seen 3 in recent weeks. Oh no. Disaster. Been busy with life rather than playing small dick games on a forum because it may offend your pathetic and continuous attempts to troll. 

Have a good one 

So you didn’t say you’d hardly watched this season and we’re glad ?

(it’s not the not watching but your critique whilst not doing so) 

ok then 

18 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I've not said anything of the sort, anywhere, indeed when and where we've been good I've praised that and the management 

This week has been the first time I've said I want to see a change and given reasons why. 

Paraphrasing and your intonation. Great so you're chasting on things I've not said and done and continuing your bizarre stalking from match day threads because of whatever reasons. 

Yip, not seen 3 in recent weeks. Oh no. Disaster. Been busy with life rather than playing small dick games on a forum because it may offend your pathetic and continuous attempts to troll. 

Have a good one 

For someone who cries foul so much on this forum and goes on and on about bad behaviour and how it affects you, you don’t half come across as a massive hypocrite when you spout nonsense like this.   

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

No i did a quick count from the sky game list on Google. 

Jesus Christ, its not that difficult to get. I really don't get why it's so hard to understand 

Because you are trying to explain your opinion that Pearson is not doing good enough, which is currently a valid discussion point.

Your point was partly based on how many goals we have scored and conceded in a 6 game period whereby you got both numbers wrong, conveniently in a way which made them both worse than they actually are.

Perhaps if you had taken the very few seconds it would have taken to add up the 12 numbers to get the correct figures, you may have had more people be more amicable to your opinion.

Instead, you've got very defensive in a number of posts where people have questioned your opinion (which they are allowed on a forum).

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I Just don't think they'll pull the trigger without having a plan in place. I.E. Who will replace NP? Tinnion as a stop gap? Their track record is pretty abysmal in these situations and if we really are in such a bad place as a club, who is going to be employed that will keep us up? I just don't see it. I have been known to be wrong in the past.

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Not said anything of the sort? I mean, this is all from about 2 minutes of quick looking but you do you I guess. I'm sure there's loads more.

On 02/01/2022 at 14:24, Tafkarmlf said:

Ee gads

Pearson has lost it hasnt he?  Nothing works, brave selection because he's utterly destroyed morale and confidence. We've players not seen in months and others training infront of the crowd on their own. 

Reminds me very much of the end of GJ's tenure, after the handgrenades stopped working, all that was left was fisticuffs 

Feel sorry for Ryley, is going to be a good player, (what level not sure) but hung out to dry versus Watford plus now this is pathetic. 

It's a question of when he goes, rather than if at the minute.  Utterly awful. 

On 28/11/2021 at 15:43, Tafkarmlf said:

I think he has to go

We've regressed in the field and today was utterly shocking, up there with the worst of Sean O'Driscoll and GJ  when the wheels fell off there. 

He's had 8 months, and was to be judged on the players being 'fitter', they aren't. We get tactically ripped apart time and time again. 

Pearson's version of the 'hand grenade' on his return has epically failed as everyone looks scared to do the basics. 

Pearson may be more toxic than the toxic mess he's inherited, sadly and time for him to go. 

Oddly enough Sheff utd sacked Jocanovic in the week for it not working post Wilder, having had leas time. We couldnt do any worse. 

On 08/11/2021 at 18:51, Tafkarmlf said:

I think Nige is done from that interview. Will be some legalities about declared unfit to work and any health insurance stuff. 

Shame. I hope Nige recovers best he he can 

Gould is an awful liar, and things seem to be be more serious than they're letting on. Explains watching from the side too. 

What a mess

On 28/11/2021 at 18:12, Tafkarmlf said:

He literally bit his lip at that point and went in to unintelligible waffle. 

Seriously lost the plot tbh. 

On 28/11/2021 at 16:11, Tafkarmlf said:

Statistically he's one of the worst managers we've ever had, we're getting worse not better. 

'experience' is not working and is doing the opposite of what was intended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

48 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Cheers very kind of you to update that. Made posts there Id completely forgotten about.

Fun stuff trauma, means I dont always have a clear recollection about things.

indeed I actually cant remember the years 2011 - 2016 in any detail, and have had to piece things together from diaries and the rest. 

November 2021 coincides with splitting from my abusive girlfriend, after recovering from a car crash

genuinely can't tell you what I was doing during that month and 2nd Jan 2022 was day after had reported things to the police after they'd gone awol. 

Cheers for pointing that out, in context they all appear to be correct at time of writing. 

I stand corrected as I've no way of independently verifying that from my own trauma affected memory. 

Thanks (genuinely) 

Eta link on how trauma affects memory in case anyone is interested https://psychcentral.com/health/does-trauma-cause-memory-loss#related-concepts

No worries. As I said, I have no problem with people wanting Nige gone, what annoys me if they want that then pretend not to.

If you weren't doing that intentionally, and have good reason, then I apologise.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d class Simpson and King as compromises, Simpson especially.  Last season’s injuries for King were frustrating because I thought he showed he was good enough…but it depends on what level of Chsmpionship player you’re expecting.  He wasn’t gonna be top 6 was he?  He was a free transfer, accepting an alleged low wage.  This year he’s stayed on as a coach contract boosted by appearance money.

In many respects you get what you pay for, and we can’t afford diddly-squat.  What Nige wanted from “Kingy” wasn’t all about what he did on the pitch.

Simpson was offered another year, again on a low wage in the hope he could cover Vyner’s transition to RB.  It didn’t work out.  It cost us peanuts really, and Nige remedied by signing Tanner for £300k which injuries aside looks like a reasonable purchase with growth in him.

For me, James, when fit has been one of our best and consistent performers this season.

But it’s all about opinions.  But what isn’t opinion is that we can’t afford to bring in the quality we need.  Naismith was our “one” this summer and that was because he was free.

Yes fair comment agree with what your saying its all about the dough but that waster up the mem brought in a quality player in collins far better than the two weve mentioned for diddly squat we still got to get some energy in our midfield though.

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I Just don't think they'll pull the trigger without having a plan in place. I.E. Who will replace NP? Tinnion as a stop gap? Their track record is pretty abysmal in these situations and if we really are in such a bad place as a club, who is going to be employed that will keep us up? I just don't see it. I have been known to be wrong in the past.

I’d hope they’d have a plan in place too. But

a) I’d hope they’d have at least an idea what that plan is already. I think that’s something they should always have in mind and I’d hope they wouldn’t be waiting until they know they want to pull the trigger before thinking about that, and

b) the evidence from previous managerial changes is that they don’t necessarily have a plan in place. Or at least don’t give that impression, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’d hope they’d have a plan in place too. But

a) I’d hope they’d have at least an idea what that plan is already. I think that’s something they should always have in mind and I’d hope they wouldn’t be waiting until they know they want to pull the trigger before thinking about that, and

b) the evidence from previous managerial changes is that they don’t necessarily have a plan in place. Or at least don’t give that impression, 

Completely so.

Whatever your view of him the Dean Holden appointment was a total shambles in every single respect.

Take 6 weeks only to appoint someone that was already with us.

Hint previously during the selection process that there were outstanding external applicants.

Seem to dither over whether Hughton was the right person or appoint or not.

Appoint 2 coaches to assist him when rumours were that he only wanted one.

Dog’s breakfast.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

And this alone highlights , for those who want Pearson gone, who , or what type do you replace him with.

Firstly , the concern to be quite brutal , is that Steve and Jon would be using their acute football acumen to make those assessments -    danger of relegation ?  , need to replace ?  , appoint new man  ?

Then who or what type  do you appoint 

Experienced ?  (And thus with some previous failure) journeyman  , who would be labelled a dinosaur if he didn’t immediately produced

A newish ‘up and coming’ Coach / Manager ?  , relatively new to the position , to take up a position in a League that he is likely to have no managerial experience of 

To walk into an inconsistent and thin squad , with little opportunity to change that , whilst conducting major planning for Summer 2023 and a potential squad rebuild . All whilst producing results Sat / Weds / Sat , and during a change of CEO

Big ask isn’t it , let alone for a relatively inexperienced one !

Considering all aspects with the Club at the moment Its a big , big time for the Owner

Sack Pearson and there’s a very good chance we really will be in relegation mire , a lot of posters seem to think changing the Manager will assuredly see an improvement in points return

We are in a fight atm , there is no doubt and NP isn’t the Messiah or any guarantee that we won’t be in relegation trouble

However ,personally  I don’t believe we will be unless injury continues to hamper us with key players 

And with the fight we have got going on , personally I trust Pearson to dig us out of it far more than virtually anyone realistic Ive seen suggested as a replacement 

* My one proviso , and where SL should have accurate knowledge is whether the  players are still with Pearson

Theres no evidence that aren’t , but IF there was a scenario where for some reason players have turned, then that becomes very difficult 

In SLs tenure  I think there was two times he should have kept his nerve and ‘backed the manager’

Gary Johnson 

Steve Cotts (Though that more difficult with the apparent fall out - but think he should have worked to smooth that over)

IMHO , with all I’ve seen at City over the years ........... this is the Third time

I'm not sure whether you've quoted me because you think I'm one of those who want Pearson gone, or whether it's just context for what you go on to say.

But just to be clear: I'm not in either a 'Pearson must go" or a "Pearson must stay" camp. My view on managers is that I always want any manager of City to do well and I always support them as long as they are manager. I have view on how they're doing, like anyone. But I always take the view that pretty much any manager will get moved on at some point and so it becomes simply a matter of the timing. And the decision about that timing is something I have no control over whatsoever, and probably don't know the first thing about in terms of what's going on behind the scenes, so I just don't get worked up about it!

And it follows from that that whatever your or my view of SL/JLs football acumen, the fact is that they'll be the ones making the judgement calls. 

The observation I'm really making I suppose is that all those questions about what a new manager would be taking on, the timing, the state of the squad and the finances and so on - you could probably apply that to the majority of managerial changes in the league. Almost by definition clubs are in a state when they sack managers.

And City do that less frequently than many do - I suspect that SL's view is actually closest to those who share your concerns about simply changing managers not being the answer.

But it must give him cause for thought sometimes that of all those other clubs, who get through manners far more regularly than we do, 19 of them are currently above us in the league. And yes, I know all about parachute payments, FFP, Ashton and so on - but we're very far from alone in having those or very similar issues. For every Norwich or Burnley there's a Reading or Coventry. 

So I'm not disagreeing at all with what you say, and on the whole I'd take the view that the rate with which clubs get through mangers is crazy. But that's what the fear of failure brings. 

Good point about whether he's got the players onside. I wonder if we might get a clue tomorrow. It's the kind of game and the right timing where an unhappy squad wanting to make a point might (deliberately or not) do just that. 

Just now, italian dave said:

I'm not sure whether you've quoted me because you think I'm one of those who want Pearson gone, or whether it's just context for what you go on to say.

But just to be clear: I'm not in either a 'Pearson must go" or a "Pearson must stay" camp. My view on managers is that I always want any manager of City to do well and I always support them as long as they are manager. I have view on how they're doing, like anyone. But I always take the view that pretty much any manager will get moved on at some point and so it becomes simply a matter of the timing. And the decision about that timing is something I have no control over whatsoever, and probably don't know the first thing about in terms of what's going on behind the scenes, so I just don't get worked up about it!

And it follows from that that whatever your or my view of SL/JLs football acumen, the fact is that they'll be the ones making the judgement calls. 

The observation I'm really making I suppose is that all those questions about what a new manager would be taking on, the timing, the state of the squad and the finances and so on - you could probably apply that to the majority of managerial changes in the league. Almost by definition clubs are in a state when they sack managers.

And City do that less frequently than many do - I suspect that SL's view is actually closest to those who share your concerns about simply changing managers not being the answer.

But it must give him cause for thought sometimes that of all those other clubs, who get through manners far more regularly than we do, 19 of them are currently above us in the league. And yes, I know all about parachute payments, FFP, Ashton and so on - but we're very far from alone in having those or very similar issues. For every Norwich or Burnley there's a Reading or Coventry. 

So I'm not disagreeing at all with what you say, and on the whole I'd take the view that the rate with which clubs get through mangers is crazy. But that's what the fear of failure brings. 

Good point about whether he's got the players onside. I wonder if we might get a clue tomorrow. It's the kind of game and the right timing where an unhappy squad wanting to make a point might (deliberately or not) do just that. 

It wasn’t aimed at you in anyway Dave 

More a general post / thoughts about the reality (IMHO) of replacing Nigel Pearson right now 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely so.

Whatever your view of him the Dean Holden appointment was a total shambles in every single respect.

Take 6 weeks only to appoint someone that was already with us.

Hint previously during the selection process that there were outstanding external applicants.

Seem to dither over whether Hughton was the right person or appoint or not.

Appoint 2 coaches to assist him when rumours were that he only wanted one.

Dog’s breakfast.

As you say, a complete shambles.

What frustrates me probably more than anything is that when we change managers we seem to either

- appoint someone with an entirely different style, ethos, approach etc to the previous one or

- if we try to keep to the same approach and style we cant think beyond someone already with us.

I'd love to think that we had a clear idea of what our style and ethos should be, and that we had potential (external) candidates already in mind who would buy into that approach. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, italian dave said:

But it must give him cause for thought sometimes that of all those other clubs, who get through manners far more regularly than we do, 19 of them are currently above us in the league

Very well put - in a nutshell and spot on.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:05, CodeRed said:

He won't be sacked I agree, but Richardson had a win rate of 42% over 117 games and a promotion and manager of the year. Nige's record over 85 games is a win rate 29% so you can see there will be speculation.

We know Nige has dealt with a difficult hand but so has Richardson....Wigan have been in administration, financial trouble, unable to pay wages, dodgy owners the lot so they've had their own problems.

As I said I think Nige is safe for now and the Lansdowns are patient but most clubs would sack a manager with a 29% win rate stretching back 2 seasons.

FWIW I think if we do drop into the bottom 3 on Saturday and are still there in January then SL will act to protect the finances avoid the revenue loss of dropping into L1. The promotion of BT to Technical Director means there would still be some continuity and stability should that happen so it might just sway SL to gamble on a change.

Yes but we’re in different positions, owners, tolerance levels etc. it’s no comparison

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sort of related, Agreed Decision on Wigan and their late payment of wages x 3.

For 3 offences that is a bit soft especially given that the rules changed the other year.

Following the fiasco with Derby are the efl giving out suspended points deductions in the latest form of levelling up?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sort of related, Agreed Decision on Wigan and their late payment of wages x 3.

For 3 offences that is a bit soft especially given that the rules changed the other year.

So they are struggling to play the players they have, but are signing more? WTF?

• Like 1