IGNORED

Leam Richardson - sacked at Wigan

Mendip City

Given a 3 year contract just over 2 weeks ago but they’ve dropped into the bottom 3. 

Shows how Championship clubs think. The threat of relegation is too big a risk for them. 

We desperately need a win at the weekend to look like a lower-mid table club rather than a relegation threatened club. 

I can’t see JL/SL not taking the same action as Wigan should we lose. Relegation is just too costly. Especially with their newly appointed and trusted Tech Director to help recruit a new manager and oversee the month long break/mini-pre-season.  

Ideally we could do without the disruption so let’s hope we win on Saturday. 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Confused 1

Yes. I don't see NP getting sacked even if Watford give us a spanking saterday. Which I see happening . But the players have got to start showing this spirit and togetherness which NP has hinted is there at the club. And do not see NP walking. Still plenty of the season left to avoid relegation but really feel we need to see the form tide changing. As always it's very frustrating being a city fan. But then in my 38 years of going  down the gate it is what it is. And I still believe the world cup break will be great to get the squad fully fit. Hoping our world cup played come back fully fit too. But January transfer window has to be positive . We still have play we s on too much money and with contracts close to ending they need  to go or accept reduced wage contracts. And, in my opinion, desperately need a central defender who controls, talks and commands that area and a defensive midfielder, the pivot.

Again just how I see it. 

I am red till I dead and love this bloody club but I really feel we need to turn the corner because relegation would set us back years 

COYR

• Robin 1

I don't know him at all. Google tells me he is a former right back. Along with Paul Cook has seen Wigan come through administration and get new owners. He will be used to working with small budgets. Last seasons League one Manager of the Season. Two weeks ago they liked him enough to give him a new 3 year deal...

Just saying, he ticks a lot of boxes?

• Confused 2

I can’t see Pearson getting sacked for the reasons mentioned numerous times - I.e. he’s working with a very poor squad. If everyone is fit and on form the team is ok. Get an injury or two and / or a player or two loses form and the replacements aren’t up to Championship standard. A new manager would have the same problems. The hope, must be, that a couple of players leave in January to generate some cash for Pearson to bring someone in 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don't know where this is coming from, I understand the upset at the results (and more importantly some of the performances) but I don't see any inclination that Pearson's on the edge of being sacked.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if he was sacked this weekend.

He won't be sacked I agree, but Richardson had a win rate of 42% over 117 games and a promotion and manager of the year. Nige's record over 85 games is a win rate 29% so you can see there will be speculation.

We know Nige has dealt with a difficult hand but so has Richardson....Wigan have been in administration, financial trouble, unable to pay wages, dodgy owners the lot so they've had their own problems.

As I said I think Nige is safe for now and the Lansdowns are patient but most clubs would sack a manager with a 29% win rate stretching back 2 seasons.

FWIW I think if we do drop into the bottom 3 on Saturday and are still there in January then SL will act to protect the finances avoid the revenue loss of dropping into L1. The promotion of BT to Technical Director means there would still be some continuity and stability should that happen so it might just sway SL to gamble on a change.

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm actually not so sure as you are @CodeRed. I'm not saying I want Pearson sacked, thats my heart saying this as I hate the fact that a sacking means yet another failure for my club. But if my head is deciding things then yes a change is on the cards.

Why, well yes the Lansdown's are known to be patient, but where exactly has it got them. Errors have been made whilst the club has been in their hands and they will be wanting to put that behind and 'clear their name' somewhat. We tend to do things differently from a lot of clubs regarding Managers, maybe we will be more a revolving door type club where Managers have to hit the ground running with whatever players they have. Take the Wigan guy, if we are relegated then what better person then last years Manager of the Season to get us promoted. Then if we have to change again after 2 years cos he can't cut it in the Championship then so be it, horses for courses. Its time to get tough. Our Managers must think they are just about untouchable and have job security for years more than some.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Been hard done by, I think.

They had an excellent season last time out, winning promotion a year after being in administration & if anyone thinks a club of their size will storm this level they’re deluded.

Only gave him a new 3 year contract a fortnight ago, they have been on a losing run but no hammerings, so no logic here at all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Given a 3 year contract just over 2 weeks ago but they’ve dropped into the bottom 3. 

Shows how Championship clubs think. The threat of relegation is too big a risk for them. 

We desperately need a win at the weekend to look like a lower-mid table club rather than a relegation threatened club. 

I can’t see JL/SL not taking the same action as Wigan should we lose. Relegation is just too costly. Especially with their newly appointed and trusted Tech Director to help recruit a new manager and oversee the month long break/mini-pre-season.  

Please let's not start assuming what we think the role of a Technical Director ( BT ) is. The Club's statement is ambiguous. Why have you assumed BT would have any say in who a perspective new manager is? We don't know that.

This is the problem with ambiguous statements on roles within a Club 

If we start assuming a person's role at a club, then it's easy to start point fingers if things go wrong. Even though they may have had no say in the matter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I don't know where this is coming from, I understand the upset at the results (and more importantly some of the performances) but I don't see any inclination that Pearson's on the edge of being sacked.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if he was sacked this weekend.

Disappointed maybe, but hardly shocked, surely?

4 hours ago, Mendip City said:

If Jon Lansdown is to "take action" someone will need to wake him up first..

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How many at champ level?

25%, but that then buggers up some people’s narrative, doesn’t it?

Like that Mark Carter weirdo who keeps posting that Pearson has the worst win ratio (not sure he does, anyway) but never mentions that Wilson, Tinnion, Pulis, to name but 3, never managed us at Championship level at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’d be shocked because SL isn’t known for sacking managers easily and I would think he’d be with the 3 year plan that was announced 2 years ago. 

Normally I'd say you are right, but look how things have changed in the last 2 years. I just got a feeling patience isn't as straight forward a plan as it was back then, not when others around you are making moves. will need a strong nerve for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Yeah, now firmly in the NP out camp, especially as others are using this break to reassess rebuild and use it as a mini pre season. 

Understand why Wigan pulled the trigger. 

The entire bottom three have changed management in last 8 weeks or so, we've not and are slumping worryingly quickly. 

2 wins in 10, only 6 scored, 18 ish conceded in all comps. Is not good and we're getting worse not better. 

Squeaky bum times

You have been in that camp for quite a while in my opinion. 

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

Normally I'd say you are right, but look how things have changed in the last 2 years. I just got a feeling patience isn't as straight forward a plan as it was back then, not when others around you are making moves. will need a strong nerve for sure. 

And this is a unique season… maybe not here but triggers will be pulled like crazy this weekend is my guess. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I can’t see Pearson getting sacked for the reasons mentioned numerous times - I.e. he’s working with a very poor squad. If everyone is fit and on form the team is ok. Get an injury or two and / or a player or two loses form and the replacements aren’t up to Championship standard. A new manager would have the same problems. The hope, must be, that a couple of players leave in January to generate some cash for Pearson to bring someone in 

Lets hope they prove to be better than  james king and the likes of simpson .

30 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Lets hope they prove to be better than  james king and the likes of simpson .

Nothing wrong with James’s level of performance, a bit of doubt over his availability no doubt.

With King and Simpson there is a factor of “very low-cost” to build in that blurs things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Yeah, now firmly in the NP out camp, especially as others are using this break to reassess rebuild and use it as a mini pre season. 

Understand why Wigan pulled the trigger. 

The entire bottom three have changed management in last 8 weeks or so, we've not and are slumping worryingly quickly. 

2 wins in 10, only 6 scored, 18 ish conceded in all comps. Is not good and we're getting worse not better. 

Squeaky bum times

Actually we have scored 8 goals (not 6) in our last 10 games & have conceded 14, not 18.

It is really very easy to look this stuff up, so what conclusion can you draw when someone both incorrectly states how many we have scored & how many we have conceded, in both cases then making it look worse than it actually is?

Only one, isn’t there?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 9
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

25%, but that then buggers up some people’s narrative, doesn’t it?

Like that Mark Carter weirdo who keeps posting that Pearson has the worst win ratio (not sure he does, anyway) but never mentions that Wilson, Tinnion, Pulis, to name but 3, never managed us at Championship level at all.

Seem to recall, back in the day, we were in something called the first division and in that division, we had a win percentage of 27% or so (I know right?!?) and yet the manager at the time (Alan something or other?) was considered to be doing okay and was with us 13 years-ish. If we could just have got rid of him when he’d been with us a year or two, we’d surely have been destined for greater glory? As a minimum we should have replaced him with someone with a decent win percentage in the Western League. 

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Mendip City said:

This is the bit that I find extraordinary. Why on earth give someone a three year contract (when they had just lost the previous 3 matches and lost 5 of the previous 6) but then decide to sack him 16 days and 4 games  (1 draw, 3 defeats) later? Mad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing wrong with James’s level of performance, a bit of doubt over his availability no doubt.

With King and Simpson there is a factor of “very low-cost” to build in that blurs things.

But they are not championship Quality offer no pace no goals and are past it taking out  Massengo is the only one that can run although its sometimes sideways and Backwards .