IGNORED

Lee Johnson

24 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Every now and again when I see the LJ thread appear, I ask myself the one real important question…..

What on earth happened to that 100000 inch TV screen he was so desperate for?

He copied the idea from a German club (Hoffenheim?) and begged SL for it.

There’s no way Nige is using that thing in training. 

I bet it cost a fortune! We really did throw money at anything at that time.

And, of course, even now there’s nothing about LJs tenure that gets taken out of proportion or exaggerated…??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

6-0 win for Johnson today v Aberdeen, perhaps a winning streak is on its way...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64356678

I was really pleased for him, I hope it buys him some more time to sort that squad out. The Hibees fans seems really weird, when he went in they were saying "ah maybe he's the guy to get rid of all this shite in our squad" but recently it's been "ah but not so and so, he's a club legend" and "he's upsetting the squad by making changes". 

Having said that Aberdeen did lose in the cup last week to a team 6 leagues below them, and sacked their Manager 19 minutes after today's result, so maybe they were there for the taking?

If I remember correctly when he was part of the squad in 08 we were 2nd in the league then got injured and we dropped down out of the automatics. Come play off final it was his first game back for a while. No use crying over spilt milk over the Windass goal but I for one reckon if he hasn’t been injured we’d have made top 2.

don’t get the hatred for the man. Wore city on his sleeve and I wish him all the best in whatever ventures he has to go through

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Herbsley said:

If I remember correctly when he was part of the squad in 08 we were 2nd in the league then got injured and we dropped down out of the automatics. Come play off final it was his first game back for a while. No use crying over spilt milk over the Windass goal but I for one reckon if he hasn’t been injured we’d have made top 2.

don’t get the hatred for the man. Wore city on his sleeve and I wish him all the best in whatever ventures he has to go through

Morning Gary 

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

9 hours ago, Herbsley said:

I watched ever game that season and if Lee was in the midfield or not made no difference as it was Marvin who did all the work in there, the reason we didn't go up automatic was we didn't spend the money we should have in January on a top striker who could have got us 12-13 goals in the run it, god bless Dele he was a lovely bloke but never going to get the goals we needed, no player got into double fingers for goals scored in the league that season that's what cost us nothing else, if we would have had a 20 goal striker that season we would have made it to the prem, 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I watched ever game that season and if Lee was in the midfield or not made no difference as it was Marvin who did all the work in there, the reason we didn't go up automatic was we didn't spend the money we should have in January on a top striker who could have got us 12-13 goals in the run it, god bless Dele he was a lovely bloke but never going to get the goals we needed, no player got into double fingers for goals scored in the league that season that's what cost us nothing else, if we would have had a 20 goal striker that season we would have made it to the prem, 

I'm inclined to agree.

A rare opportunity wasted.

So close and yet so far.

Effin' Hull !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

LJ made 44 appearances in that play off season, I think. To suggest Marvin did all the work is just silly. They were very different players, obviously, and lots of fans didn’t like LJ because he was a neat and tidy unspectacular midfielder, and not the all action type. But he was a very important part of our success for those two seasons. As was McIndoe, whatever his other faults!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

LJ made 44 appearances in that play off season, I think. To suggest Marvin did all the work is just silly. They were very different players, obviously, and lots of fans didn’t like LJ because he was a neat and tidy unspectacular midfielder, and not the all action type. But he was a very important part of our success for those two seasons. As was McIndoe, whatever his other faults!

Just checked Lee played 39 times that season, the guy I was replying to claimed that the games he missed cost us promotion, I really disagree with this I don't think those 5 missed games didnt have that big an effect, 

I still believe it's our lack of a top striker that cost us, a few more goals turning draws into wins would have seen us have a better chance of staying 2nd, our top scorer in the league that season finished with 8 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Herbsley said:

That has always been my view as well. We lost 5 of our last 8 matches. 

22 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I was really pleased for him, I hope it buys him some more time to sort that squad out. The Hibees fans seems really weird, when he went in they were saying "ah maybe he's the guy to get rid of all this shite in our squad" but recently it's been "ah but not so and so, he's a club legend" and "he's upsetting the squad by making changes". 

I suppose that you get the same sort of thing on most fans forums.

For example, there will be posts that take great delight in spreading and discussing gossip and rumours about potential transfers. And there will be posts that talk about all that being just speculation and others that suggest we all wait until it’s officially announced.

Difference on here is that they all come from the same poster. ??

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Having said that Aberdeen did lose in the cup last week to a team 6 leagues below them, and sacked their Manager 19 minutes after today's result, so maybe they were there for the taking?

The Scottish media had termed that game yesterday as ‘el sackico’, which lived upto its billing.

Looks like LJ rolled another 6 at the right time!

On 24/01/2023 at 10:47, Davefevs said:

That was a weird season:

2E8155A5-06D2-402A-8C91-BA8C5177C0C8.jpeg.efd7c387cfd0e0b6a31eeebdaa1a6046.jpeg

At Xmas we were actually mid table.

1477E6F3-78A4-4714-B5DD-8A4A982E829C.thumb.jpeg.283b274ee12e11d2c2ac2cca8ffaa3ce.jpeg

But had commenced the start of an unbeaten run that brought 8 successive wins.

We got to 5th:

CEE55AA6-79AF-4790-A5C6-F17715E130CF.thumb.jpeg.6bcea16d4bf7b7b424b52948c3c5f6eb.jpeg

Then went 5 w/o a win, but recovered back to 5th with 10 points from 4 games, before 5 winless to end the season.  We finished 8th, our best points tally (70) under LJ.  The game against Derby was a bummer.  The Villa game we got stuffed “2-1”, Villa could’ve scored ten!  But we had one disallowed unfairly too.  Kinda summed up the “era”.  I think LJ got results that were better than overall performance levels.  That’s not a criticism btw.  We played better in 17/18 (in the main).

What a crazy season. The 8 match winning run seems quite fortunate when you look game by game, small margins but I guess you make your own luck.

Worth mentioning we had two FA cup wins in that period also. 

i am surprised that we were in the top 6 for so long, I recall it differently in my head, I felt like we were stuttering along but clearly not. The draws at home to Ipswich, Wigan and Reading cost us here.

20 hours ago, winsaw said:

I watched every game that season and I say he did contribute, seems we are at a stalemate. 

• Like 2

I love how the haters of Lee blame the money.

We’re yet to see what Nige does given purse strings. Facts are facts Lee had us up there despite our spend. He also stopped young talent leaving like Semenyo, he had us viewed as a club big clubs could send future stars to, he had nearly convinced Pep to send us Foden ffs!

His decision making got us 10m for Reid, when a year before if he was sold to Plymouth for 250k no one would have said it was bad business.

The point is, we now have some money and when Scott is sold we will have more. I fear people will say if Pearson spends and it isn’t successful and we are back top ten , that they will still blame Lee saying well Pearson had to sell the best players to buy players so it’s not his fault it’s not worked out.

like it or not, we’ve achieved more under both Johnson’s than any of our other recent managers, but that doesn’t fit certain peoples agendas. 

Next season is a big year for Nige, he’ll finally be able to trade as many have wanted him to, he benefits from a fantastic academy which was nurturing the fruits he’s taking advantage of long before he was here and if we aren’t top 10 next season, then for me, he is not improving us. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malago said:

It’s seems to have been forgotten that it was Lee Johnson who stopped Antoine being sold to Chelsea for £200 k. The rest as they say is history.

I think Johnson did definitely have a good eye for a player. I know people will cite the likes of Diony and Engvall as counter points, but I think Johnson could spot good potential in players.

I wonder whether he may be better suited to a more back room role, something around club culture and player ID. A but like what Dan Ashworth or Brian Tinnion do.

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

I love how the haters of Lee blame the money.

We’re yet to see what Nige does given purse strings. Facts are facts Lee had us up there despite our spend. He also stopped young talent leaving like Semenyo, he had us viewed as a club big clubs could send future stars to, he had nearly convinced Pep to send us Foden ffs!

His decision making got us 10m for Reid, when a year before if he was sold to Plymouth for 250k no one would have said it was bad business.

The point is, we now have some money and when Scott is sold we will have more. I fear people will say if Pearson spends and it isn’t successful and we are back top ten , that they will still blame Lee saying well Pearson had to sell the best players to buy players so it’s not his fault it’s not worked out.

like it or not, we’ve achieved more under both Johnson’s than any of our other recent managers, but that doesn’t fit certain peoples agendas. 

Next season is a big year for Nige, he’ll finally be able to trade as many have wanted him to, he benefits from a fantastic academy which was nurturing the fruits he’s taking advantage of long before he was here and if we aren’t top 10 next season, then for me, he is not improving us. 

1st bit in bold:

You don’t have to be a LJ hater to accuse him / the collective of wasting a shedload of money.  It’s a very important part of the balance to the argument / discussion of his time as head coach.  It’s why (a large part of why) we are suffering “austerity” at the mo’ and have had to go back to the start in rebuilding the squad.  Covid is another part of that.

2nd and 3rd bits in bold:

Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves, we still have to stay in this division this season!  We have a thin squad, we can’t just go and spend the Semenyo money although it does give some wriggle room over the next two days I suspect.

Why would you necessarily expect Nige to get top 10 in his (potentially) first season out of austerity?  We’ve done in once since our return to this division.

I remember me setting Lee targets of things like - solid season, no boom or bust runs, no relegation battle, etc.  and that was with no real financial constraints.

Assuming we are still in the Championship I expect improvement next season, but let’s not run before we can walk.

Finally, why try to create such divide by making it Johnson (Snr and Jr in this thread) vs Nige?  I really don’t think that once we get through this cycle of pre-Nige contracted players still being here, many fans will blame LJ for the future, that’s Nige’s destiny alone.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Johnson did definitely have a good eye for a player. I know people will cite the likes of Diony and Engvall as counter points, but I think Johnson could spot good potential in players.

I wonder whether he may be better suited to a more back room role, something around club culture and player ID. A but like what Dan Ashworth or Brian Tinnion do.

Not a chance imho…he wants to be the manager / head-coach.

Not at all sure why folk are so keen to start rewriting the LJ story at this point. Fact was he was a controversial appointment. Personally I liked him as a player but it wasn't at all clear that he was the man to replace Cotts. He was SL's gamble, and so determined was SL to be proved right that he kept Lee long after other owners would have bid him farewell. As a consequence LJ outstayed his welcome. Hence the vitriol.

But the salient point is that having been - we were regularly told by our owner - asked to deliver a promotion challenge Lee Johnson constantly fell short. By comparison with previous City managers he was given the keys to the kingdom. If he'd left earlier and spent less on acquiring clubs that never left the bag he'd be more kindly remembered. Almost 500 games as a manager, never delivered a promotion anywhere. He didn't have it in him, I strongly suspect he never will.

• Like 2

He is marmite, that's for sure. Personally don't get the hatred some seem to have for him. People forget he is still quite young, and probably struggles with the man-management side of the game. Comments from players seem to support that. Once he has a few more years experience he may well turn out to be a good manager. He certainly has confidence in himself

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

He is marmite, that's for sure. Personally don't get the hatred some seem to have for him. People forget he is still quite young, and probably struggles with the man-management side of the game. Comments from players seem to support that. Once he has a few more years experience he may well turn out to be a good manager. He certainly has confidence in himself

10 years in management almost. The inexperienced card can no longer be played. 

• Like 4

Is anyone able to answer in a simple summary of how Lee Johnson wasted so much money?

Now I admit. I may be mixing up different years and not all of these listed below were under his management.  I also appreciate there have been a lot of duff signings, and extortionate wages have been paid.

But we have sold Flint, Bryan, Kodja, Reid, Webster, Brownhill and Kelly for huge sums of money.  Surely Johnson deserves just a little credit.

8 minutes ago, bbew said:

Is anyone able to answer in a simple summary of how Lee Johnson wasted so much money?

Now I admit. I may be mixing up different years and not all of these listed below were under his management.  I also appreciate there have been a lot of duff signings, and extortionate wages have been paid.

But we have sold Flint, Bryan, Kodja, Reid, Webster, Brownhill and Kelly for huge sums of money.  Surely Johnson deserves just a little credit.

This thread is 15 pages long, if you read it all then it’s there.

• Like 2